Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sunflower lanyards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
USA is generally pretty sympathetic to the disabled but does require ‘native’ certification for some areas of disability law. A sunflower lanyard as mask exemption is about as useful here as trying to use a UK blue badge to park in a disabled spot in a US parking lot.

Outside the airports, medical facilities, and odd theme park going through an enforcement cycle Florida is pretty much a mask free zone for those who care about such things.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:23 am

Basically the government screwed over airlines, businesses, police, authorities and insurers by making the regulations and guidance on exemptions unbelievably lax. Anyone can argue they are exempt via their lanyard, handmade piece of paper or whatever. I don’t know of any other country that did it this way.

It’s made it incredibly hard for anyone to enforce as they face unfounded accusations of discrimination from those who say they’re exempt - when in reality they are not.

Either it should have always been optional, or the regulation and guidance should have been much stricter. The half-way house has always been and remains unworkable. And worse still, even though it is now optional under the regs, the false exempt claim they can still rely on the lax government guidance in places where it’s not optional (like onboard). It’s a mess.

Personally I really dislike masks and have often flouted the rules by not wearing one (or not wearing one properly) where I am supposed to. But I have never claimed to be exempt and would not have the cheek to do so, and it really annoys me when I see all these people who do.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jan 21, 2022 at 7:29 am
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Ive never worn a mask and never will.

i won’t be flying until the hysteria has gone, which could be a while especially in the US where frankly reality went out the window a long time ago.

The solution is right in front of us in the room but for a reason I don’t know isn’t being used.

Those who want a safety blanket wear a N95 or N99 mask to protect themselves.

All the arguing and finger pointing can then cease.

So why aren’t people doing that, what are their motives?

It could be over in a flash, end of debate.

So could any mask believers tell me why they don’t back this and get on with their lives and get out of others lives? If your answer is that these proper masks don’t work then think again about why you approve of the cloth and surgical ones
I must admit reading some horror stories on here and elsewhere online, the Yanks seem to have gone completely potty over it all! I thought the hysteria was bad here in England…
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Because your premise is wrong. The rationale behind wearing a mask includes protecting other people from the mask-wearer. It's not all about the mask-wearer protecting themselves.

There's plenty of debate about whether or not there is any significant protection, and whether or not that protection is worth it given all of the other things that surround mask-wearing. But if your premise is wrong, then it undermines all subsequent reasoning.
ARGH!!!

That was exactly the con they put in there though wasn't it.

Can you not see the crazy non logic there?

You don't need to protect me, you protect yourself if you want to and if I want protection I can do it myself, I don't need you to protect me.

Its like we've decided to avoid the obvious solution in front of our eyes and make up a complex one not based in logic but specifically designed to cause friction.

Your logic only stands up where the mask only protects others (lets leave aside the science in that).

These N95/99 protect you, what is your issue with that? Why wouldn't you do that? Your premise is built on very bizarre logic, it only makes sense when a mask that protects the wearer doesn't exist??
bakera and Silver Fox like this.

Last edited by RockyRobin; Jan 21, 2022 at 8:09 am
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:51 am

i won’t be flying until the hysteria has gone, which could be a while especially in the US where frankly reality went out the window a long time ago.
I did 26 US domestic segments last year. Other than the weather diversion to Huntsville, Alabama that led to an unplanned night in Atlanta, I’d describe my flights as uneventful in all the right ways.

No hysteria, no bare-faced freedom fighters despite how the Daily Mail might want to portray the country, lots of folks genuinely in a good mood to, as Southwest’s slogan says, ‘move about the country’ on holiday or going to see family after the mess of 2020.

The ‘air rage’ problems are real but rare enough that even a frequent flyer is unlikely to encounter them. My second biggest air travel-related complaint of 2021 was a broken ice cream machine at Shake Shack at the Phoenix airport.

If mask rules keep you off USA flights, you’re missing out on a lot of other good stuff.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by xenole
As said, too many people using them as an excuse not to wear a mask, and practically no-one ever seems to have an exemption letter when asked for one.
In my experience very few people who are not wearing a mask go through the trouble of putting a lanyard on. Most just don't wear a mask and get away with it. Half the people using the London Underground appear to be having a hidden disability. The BA equivalent is nibbling on your G&T for three hours. Personally, I at least put the effort in and do proper drinking in order not to wear a mask!
hungry and cameramaker like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ARGH!!!

That was exactly the con they put in there though wasn't it.

Can you not see the crazy non logic there?

You don't need to protect me, you protect yourself if you want to and if I want protection I can do it myself, I don't need you to protect me.

Its like we've decided to avoid the obvious solution in front of ours and made up a complex one not based in logic but specifically designed to cause friction.

Your logic only stands up where the mask only protects others (lets leave aside the science in that).

These N95/99 protect you, what is your issue with that? Why wouldn't you do that? Your premise is built on very bizarre logic, it only makes sense when a mask that protects the wearer doesn't exist??
Can we leave the discussion on the merits or otherwise of earing masks for OMNI please? Thank you.
VSLover, milski, KARFA and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by NickB
Can we leave the discussion on the merits or otherwise of earing masks for OMNI please? Thank you.
It's not about the benefits of wearing or not wearing a mask.

The discussion was about the logic of what type to wear and how we could actually put to be all these discussions and finger pointing in one fell swoop.

It seems we don't want that, we would rather defy a simple solution and carry on with the division - it's madness.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not about the benefits of wearing or not wearing a mask.

The discussion was about the logic of what type to wear and how we could actually put to be all these discussions and finger pointing in one fell swoop.

It seems we don't want that, we would rather defy a simple solution and carry on with the division - it's madness.
This is no less OT and unrelated to BA and therefore better discussed elsewhere, such as OMNI.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)
I wonder if the USA mask wearing rules will be gone by March. It would be great if so.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by hungry
I wonder if the USA mask wearing rules will be gone by March. It would be great if so.
Outside of mass transit, it’s a state level decision so Florida never had mask rules (though business can have their own) while California and New York are not likely to get rid of them soon.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737
In my experience very few people who are not wearing a mask go through the trouble of putting a lanyard on. Most just don't wear a mask and get away with it.
Don't you think that's better than the dishonesty of wearing a lanyard and pretending that you cannot actually wear a mask?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Hope the OP got their answer before the thread gets binned again.
mikeyfly and argonath like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by xenole
Ryanair, at least last year, weren't accepting these from what I saw. As said, too many people using them as an excuse not to wear a mask, and practically no-one ever seems to have an exemption letter when asked for one.

Half of Home Bargains must have been exempt today, yet 100% wearing them in Sainsbury and Tesco before that.

I might claim that my left eye is a fraction better than my right eye, so that makes it a hidden disability as my vision might be 1% worse.
There was no legal requirement to have an exemption letter and as there’s no legal requirement the NHS won’t provide a medical letter or exemption letter you would need to make an appointment with your GP privately and pay privately for any letter you required.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Basically the government screwed over airlines, businesses, police, authorities and insurers by making the regulations and guidance on exemptions unbelievably lax. Anyone can argue they are exempt via their lanyard, handmade piece of paper or whatever. I don’t know of any other country that did it this way.

It’s made it incredibly hard for anyone to enforce as they face unfounded accusations of discrimination from those who say they’re exempt - when in reality they are not.

Either it should have always been optional, or the regulation and guidance should have been much stricter. The half-way house has always been and remains unworkable. And worse still, even though it is now optional under the regs, the false exempt claim they can still rely on the lax government guidance in places where it’s not optional (like onboard). It’s a mess.

Personally I really dislike masks and have often flouted the rules by not wearing one (or not wearing one properly) where I am supposed to. But I have never claimed to be exempt and would not have the cheek to do so, and it really annoys me when I see all these people who do.
Someone that’s flouted the rules (regularly) is no better than someone pretending to be exempt from them.

The Sunflower Lanyard was introduced to allow staff and service providers to identify when people had hidden disabilities and required additional assistance. It was first pioneered at Gatwick Airport then rolled out through the uK to help make people that needed it get extra assistance,

Sadly the prevelance of abuse and ease of getting them have diluted the benefits of the scheme
sl1ppy, mrow, milski and 4 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.