Wiki Posts
Search

BA prem economy v Emirates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

BA prem economy v Emirates

Hi,

I’m in the process of booking a flight from Sydney to London with my wife and 2 kids. The kids will be turning 6 and 3 in and around when we travel.

we have the option of going World Traveller Plus with BA or economy with Emirates - both flight times are similar.

question I have is does anyone have any experience of flying with young kids in BA’s premium economy? whilst the cabin and seats will inevitably be more comfortable, I’m concerned the armrests aren’t practical for young kids when sleeping so was wondering if we would be better taking 4 economy seats with emirates and the kids being able to lie flat on our laps versus sitting ‘upright’ on the BA prem economy seats.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jamie
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I think you've pretty much nailed the limitation
of WTP when going with smaller children. Our youngest was about 6 when we first made the move up from economy (admittedly a few years ago now and it was a VS flight, but the 'armrest principle' still holds) - and I do remember getting complaints about it being uncomfortable to sleep in.

For all its faults, economy can work well with littl'uns, even more so if there is spare space - several times we've been able to grab whole rows of 4 seats to make a bed for them. And even if not, we were generally able to get them a bit more comfortable leaning against us.

Of course, that generally meant Mrs RC and me contorting into whatever position suited them best, but that's what we do for our children eh...

Im guessing that upgrading further to J (using Avios) isn't an option?

(Edit: welcome to the forum, I'm sure one of our more experienced members will be along shortly to welcome you 'properly'!)
boss315 and francophile like this.

Last edited by ratechaser; Jan 21, 2022 at 2:20 am
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Agree with the seating comments. Also on Emirates you are likely to be able to book flights that use A380s on all four sectors (think BA is going 787-9 for Sydney?), their economy food and drinks is probably better than BA Premium Economy and their IFE is one of the best available. I hate to say it but Emirates looks the best option and probably cheaper.
argonath and SxMan like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 4:52 am

If you decide to book the Emirates option, look at pricing booked under the Qantas codeshare flight numbers also. That way you can credit your miles to BA or another Oneworld carrier.
argonath, Duck1981 and ratechaser like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by Jamierblack1982
Hi,

I’m in the process of booking a flight from Sydney to London with my wife and 2 kids. The kids will be turning 6 and 3 in and around when we travel.

we have the option of going World Traveller Plus with BA or economy with Emirates - both flight times are similar.

question I have is does anyone have any experience of flying with young kids in BA’s premium economy? whilst the cabin and seats will inevitably be more comfortable, I’m concerned the armrests aren’t practical for young kids when sleeping so was wondering if we would be better taking 4 economy seats with emirates and the kids being able to lie flat on our laps versus sitting ‘upright’ on the BA prem economy seats.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jamie
The BA PE seat maps show movable armrests on aisle seats in some aircraft. Are those just on the aisle side?

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...r-plus-seatmap
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Does it have to be BA in Premium Economy? Qantas’ refurbed A380s are way more comfortable in W as well as CX even on the A330.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cameramaker
Does it have to be BA in Premium Economy? Qantas’ refurbed A380s are way more comfortable in W as well as CX even on the A330.
yes, we get access to their hotline rates so the price is quite reasonable and nearly half the price of Qantas
Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=enzian;33922874]The BA PE seat maps show movable armrests on aisle seats in some aircraft. Are those just on the aisle side?

thanks, but not on their 787 which services this route
Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=enzian;33922874]The BA PE seat maps show movable armrests on aisle seats in some aircraft. Are those just on the aisle side?

Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.