Search

Future Travel Voucher on Avios Booking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:23 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Future Travel Voucher on Avios Booking

Hello,

I had to cancel a flight with BA a few months ago. I received a future travel voucher (not to be confused with an eVoucher). I was a little confused as this was an avios booking and the Avios were never redeposited into my account? Are the Avios themselves attached to the Future Travel Voucher? or did something screw up and I lose the Avios completely? Does anyone has experience with this?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:27 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Everything is wrapped up in the voucher - the Avios and any cash paid for taxes & fees.

It’s not really a voucher at all - just your original booking frozen for future rebooking on any flight you want subject to reward availability.

However sadly you do need to call to use it, and to find out how much it’s worth if you don’t already know. It must also be another Avios booking.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
So yes to add to the above, it will be worth whatever avios and cash you originally paid for the booking - this should be shown on your original e ticket email. If you search your emails for the FTV voucher number you should be able to find your original eticket if you don’t have it to hand.

You can check availability online but do have to call. You can apply the avios and cash to any new reward booking for the same passenger(s), and add extra avios and cash if required.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:33 am

Can you get a full refund of the voucher? Subject to £35 cancellation fee.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by fodenben
for a reward FTV yes you can do exactly that. You would have to call to request it, and as you note everything is refunded minus the £35 per person cancellation fee
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:35 am

Sorry!

Could you also retrospectively apply it to a booking?

thanks

Ben
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If it's a straight Avios booking (no companion voucher / other voucher) BA are working through refunding these to the original card payment and redepositing Avios.

Have they recently messaged about this FTV at all ?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:36 am

Sorry!

Could you also retrospectively apply it to a booking?

thanks

Ben
i am not sure I understand? Apply a FTV to an existing reward booking?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
If it's a straight Avios booking (no companion voucher / other voucher) BA are working through refunding these to the original card payment and redepositing Avios.
AIUI, only RFS bookings with (and because of) a relatively small cash element involved. I don't think the OP has said anything about this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
i am not sure I understand? Apply a FTV to an existing reward booking?
Don’t worry!

I was talking rubbish!
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:10 am

Don’t worry!

I was talking rubbish!
Ah no problem. Sometimes I do, but fortunately most people don’t notice
Old Jan 18, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC
This is exactly the situation I am in now, trying to get through on the phone to re-book the flights I booked and then cancelled as Covid restrictions tightened at the end of last year.

Assuming I can actually get through and make the booking it will work out well for us. The booking was for two Club Europe flights from LHR-IST and back on an Amex 241, which was due to expire on 12/1/22. By getting a FTV rather than having the Avios refunded I managed to effectively extend the 241 validity by 18 months. All I have to do now is get to speak to someone to make the change. Any advice for a BA Bronze member?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Following from my post above I used the advice to ring just before 8am UK time and got through within 20 minutes. As usual the BA Call Centre gave excellent service and everything is rebooked for 10 days time at no cost. The ony challenge is getting through to them.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:55 pm

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
So the online cancellation method for a full Avios straight booking will see the Avios and taxes/fees refunded to original payment method less the cancellation fee?

It says the refund will be put into a FTV so I am hesitant and have been trying to get through on Twitter or phone but te no avail... I want an Avios redeposit and taxes/charges refunded!
Old Jan 19, 2022, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by jwongathon
So the online cancellation method for a full Avios straight booking will see the Avios and taxes/fees refunded to original payment method less the cancellation fee?

It says the refund will be put into a FTV so I am hesitant and have been trying to get through on Twitter or phone but te no avail... I want an Avios redeposit and taxes/charges refunded!
if this is a voluntary cancellation then there isn’t any way to cancel for a refund online. As you note the only option you are given is for a FTV where nothing is refunded and everything is held on the voucher.

if you want to cancel for a refund you have to call I am afraid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.