Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G-XLEL commences return of A380 BA57 JNB!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:28 pm
formerly Christopher Sutton
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
G-XLEL commences return of A380 BA57 JNB!

Excited to see that tonight marks the return of the A380 flying to JNB as BA57 using G-XLEL. Looks to be leaving 10 mins early. Will be flying the route myself a week on Thursday. I just love the A380 and certainly don’t mind old CW upstairs! :-)
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Not sure how long the 380 is scheduled. We were booked on the 380 on BA 57 to JNB in May but later BA55 was cancelled and then BA57 turned into turned into a 3-class 777. As a result we were downgraded to Club World. I am hoping that with all the current positive news about booking numbers may mean BA reintroduce a 4-class flight before travel.

Pre Covid, the F cabins I sat in to JNB were full or almost full even in the Southern hemisphere winter. Not sure if they were all cash payers or Avios fares / operational upgrades, but I do not understand why they predict general demand (1 flight) to be so low and that they cannot make money out of an F-cabin at all?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Currently last scheduled A380 flight to JNB is 25th March.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
You weren't the only excited one Surrey. I watched her take off last night and land this morning on flight radar. Some may say that is a bit sad, or even a lot sad, but I can't wait to be back under the big skies and away from all this madness here in the UK. I don't really care what aircraft takes me there, a Sopwith Camel would do as long as we get there safe and sound. Lol. Now all that has to happen is that our PCR tests are negative and we'll be heading down to JNB on Saturday night.
SW7London and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:16 am
Original Poster

I don’t think it’s sad at all redrose59 ! I’d rather be passionate about something than not. I too watched it’s progress last night. ;-)

Safe and enjoyable flight on Saturday - which cabin? We’re upstairs in the front cabin in J.
Dover2Golf and redrose59 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Miles & More Silver, Privilege Club Silver
Originally Posted by redrose59
You weren't the only excited one Surrey. I watched her take off last night and land this morning on flight radar. Some may say that is a bit sad, or even a lot sad, but I can't wait to be back under the big skies and away from all this madness here in the UK. I don't really care what aircraft takes me there, a Sopwith Camel would do as long as we get there safe and sound. Lol. Now all that has to happen is that our PCR tests are negative and we'll be heading down to JNB on Saturday night.
Originally Posted by SurreyFlightPath
I don’t think it’s sad at all redrose59 ! I’d rather be passionate about something than not. I too watched it’s progress last night. ;-)

Safe and enjoyable flight on Saturday - which cabin? We’re upstairs in the front cabin in J.
I’ll join that club,watched the departure on Flightradar24 glad that it is now the A390. Had many changes since originally booked.
Next Tuesday for me and Mrs B, just desperate to finally get on a long haul flight after so many cancellations..
Enjoy your flights and your time in ZA, Cheers
Old Jan 18, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
Ahhh, Im glad I wasn't the only one watching lol.

We are also in J, upstairs front cabin. You have a safe and happy flight too Surrey.
SurreyFlightPath likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:21 am

That coincides very closely with the end of the winter schedule, when the summer schedule is firmed up the A380 may be added after 25 March.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BESTEDIFLYER
I’ll join that club,watched the departure on Flightradar24 glad that it is now the A390. Had many changes since originally booked.
Next Tuesday for me and Mrs B, just desperate to finally get on a long haul flight after so many cancellations..
Enjoy your flights and your time in ZA, Cheers
safe and enjoyable flight! :-)
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:55 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I didn't watch flightradar but yesterday I walked the river path between Kingston and Richmond and while I walked I saw 4 x A380s come over - 2 BA, 1 EK and 1 QR and I thought things were finally getting back to normal. Let's just see an end to testing and passenger locator forms.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:42 am

Was on the flight last night. First and business full, WTP about 60% and WT around 35-40%. Had the throne seat in economy and the whole row to myself, very comfortable.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:22 am

It also looks like the A380 returns on August 1st, followed by double daily A380 for the Winter 22-23 season. Subject to change of course.

Interested to know how that works with cargo. There’s a fairly sizeable movement of fresh food between SA and the U.K. (enough to maintain regular flights even when SA was on the red list for most of 2021). A full A380 has a lot less cargo capacity than a full 78/77, which is the main reason why a twin (or 747 back in the day) has always accompanied the A380 on cargo heavy routes pre-Covid.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K
Wow! Cheap

Wow, I did a phantom booking in Feb - just over $1000 CAD return in Economy, and just over $2000 in Premium Econ - I haven't had a chance to fly the A380 yet, so I'm looking at any chance I can get!
Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’d much rather have something, anything with Club Suite than the meh A380. But at least it’s seen off the really grim 77W with last but one decades seat.

re cargo - a lot of the fruit comes from the Cape so I suspect the daily 3 class 777 from CPT is full. And BA enjoying charging a very high £/kg for it
Old Jan 18, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I’d much rather have something, anything with Club Suite than the meh A380. But at least it’s seen off the really grim 77W with last but one decades seat.
Mixed feelings here! Our A350 to DXB with Club Suites was substituted for the A380. I’m happy to see the A380 back in service and there are far worse places to be than on the upper deck of the whale!
SurreyFlightPath likes this.

Last edited by TedToToe; Jan 18, 2022 at 2:37 pm Reason: Spelling!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.