Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA F service. Quo vadis?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 3:43 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
A good crew prior to take off would say will you be joining us for dinner sir/madam
I'd reply - "No, I'll eat at my seat thanks!"

That phrase always annoyed me for some reason... sounds very pompous.
eefor jfp and wmaciej like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I haven’t flown in F since the pandemic and I’ve never experienced that level of “impersonal” / robotic service in F. I would be tempted to send a short note to BA about this. As a GGL member, paying cash, they should listen. If they choose not to, up to them, but at least give customer relations the opportunity to make this right. Also, I expect OP wouldn’t be GGL or posting here if they really didn’t care so please try. I fully appreciate the majority view is you will get rebuffed. My limited experience of complaints where I have contacted CR is that I have been pleasantly surprised, although I am naturally a cynic with pretty low expectations, which I think helps. All I do know is that if you don’t ask you don’t get.

Yes, a coffee should have been available one hour before landing unless the flight crew had advised the cabin crew not to serve hot beverages due to possible turbulence, in which case, this should have been explained.
Carfield, PUCCI GALORE and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:37 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'd reply - "No, I'll eat at my seat thanks!"

That phrase always annoyed me for some reason... sounds very pompous.
Pompous? Really? I'd far rather that than "What'cha want then? No, run out of that. And that. Fancy that Pasta Love - no one else wants it. For sure there's a choice Take It or Leave It"

Believe me I have heard that - but not on BA.
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Pompous? Really? I'd far rather that than "What'cha want then? No, run out of that. And that. Fancy that Pasta Love - no one else wants it. For sure there's a choice Take It or Leave It"

Believe me I have heard that - but not on BA.
Ha. Virgin Upper Class…..
crazy8534 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Ha. Virgin Upper Class…..

Well that's what they call it Dear.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by Trippelone
there were 14 F seats occupied on the 777
This is all BA will care about currently.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Trippelone
On my trip to LAX I had a normal crew, not good, not bad, not ugly.
I have to ask why that last point would make a difference to the flight....!
Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by woobl
It's a joke...

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Wikipedia
Old Jan 15, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by steveholt
This seems a tad dramatic.
More DYKWIA.... or T&**$ish
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: GGL, UA 1MM
I had a recent F trip to MEX. I was very disappointed.

On the way out, we were bussed to the gate. The bus was just as packed as if there were no pandemic. Given the lack of masks and constant coughing was surprised we didn't end up with covid. If BA advertises 1st as a premium experience, it would be nice if they could at least put on a separate bus for 1st/Club, or better still use a stand. A robotic GGL welcome was embarrassing. Other than that the crew was a good one. Journey home a different story - when I asked for breakfast prior to landing was told they had run out, even at 90min out so was just given a small bowl of frozen fruit - 8/8 seats taken but surprised they didn't have enough for us. Club didn't look much better. My son was left to sleep sitting up in his seat; not flying for a while he was unaware the bedding in the overhead locker, nor how to operate the seat. He was dozing off and when I came to help him I was shooed back into my cabin, but at least they showed him where controls etc were.

BA at its best can be so good, I just seem to see it less frequently now.
Carfield and Ramos like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by hydro001
I can only speak from experience that now F working positions are the least popular whereas pre pandemic they were the most popular, mainly stemming from lack of confidence after most crew having had nearly two years off and reduced crewing levels. Not saying this is always the case but certainly more frequent than pre pandemic.
Was curious as how it's decided which cabin a crew member works in - crew choice, luick of the draw, whim of the IFM, rostered for that cabin etc.

Are crew 'certified' for providing service in certain cabins?

And then I wonder how crew feel about working F - I can imagine it can be very pleasant at times, only needing to serve a small number of customers - but also appreciate if you get just one complete ... of a customer - it becomes a nightmare.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive club
Originally Posted by woobl
Sergio Leone… Ennio Morreconi… capice?
alexwuk and bafan like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by zen100
Was curious as how it's decided which cabin a crew member works in - crew choice, luick of the draw, whim of the IFM, rostered for that cabin etc.

Are crew 'certified' for providing service in certain cabins?

And then I wonder how crew feel about working F - I can imagine it can be very pleasant at times, only needing to serve a small number of customers - but also appreciate if you get just one complete ... of a customer - it becomes a nightmare.
It's done on preference- rotational groups so crew are split into groups and the groups rotate each month so everyone has a fair share of getting their first choice working positions.
Saying that crew are qualified to work in J or F only after their relevant J or F class training, and cannot work in these cabins unless qualified to do so, so sometimes ifm will need to move positions around / assess level of experience etc.to ensure spread of experience and only crew qualified in those cabins are working there
Pre pandemic, F positions are often first to be taken up, as crew like the individualised service and you often get crew who are v accustomed to the service, especially given most flights had a F cabin. Now, F working positions seem to be quite unpopular due to crew not having had much opportunity to work there as a result of furlough/ less flights with F cabins / reduced crewing levels and as a result less confidence.

Ideal world we have correct number of crew qualified for the service in that cabin but given recent crewing levels as long as there is enough crew to have that aircraft off the ground legally from a safety perspective, then the flight goes.
nancypants, becks1 and zen100 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Thanks for clarifying!
YYCCL3 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, A3*G
Originally Posted by Speedbirdjclass
Just flown to Male in F and it was a very good service better than a few years ago having had some awful crews to Tokyo and Shanghai that could even give me the right drink

Offered to be shown to seat by CSM, nice new 8 seat cabin, two experienced CC working my side of the cabin who were very engaging and chatty, asked sizes for sleeper suit and slippers, menu explained, wash bag etc.

pre take of drinks with top ups. Once airborne drinks and canapés, sat with who I was flying with and proactive drink top ups.

back to seat for dinner and the curry talked about was excellent, usual F dinner service.

After in PJS and reclined for a film and fell asleep, woke up 4 hours later and had been covered in a duvet by the crew, and doors closed so that I think is good old fashioned service, when I woke crew popped by to see if I needed anything

few hours later usual nice breakfast service

so overall I very good flight even compared to pre covid and cabin was full
Our experience in F to MLE (in December) could not have been more different. Along the same lines as the above criticisms which I won’t repeat but I will give one ‘illustrative’ example: when my starter was finally delivered (after a long delay - I think they may have forgotten), the flight attendant came over and stood over me. Not a single word spoken. I then had to abandon everything i was doing to try and retrieve the table which just did not want to come out. No attempt to help. After I managed, they (crew) just placed the starter on the table and started to wander off (to may be bring some cutlery?) I seized the moment and asked for a table cloth. An evil stare and…wait for it…almost (!) a tut! Wanders off, brings table cloth and cutlery, I lift the plate, all is sorted, no interaction, wanders off back to the galley. First class. Lol
skipness1E and nancypants like this.

Last edited by ozon78; Jan 15, 2022 at 1:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.