Wiki Posts
Search

Splitting Avios during separation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Splitting Avios during separation

Hi,

I am separating from my husband whom I currently hold a BA Household account with.

We have over 300k miles sat in the account, though only 72k are in my name.

How do we go about splitting the total 50/50?

Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by saskew
Hi,

I am separating from my husband whom I currently hold a BA Household account with.

Thanks!
Sorry to hear about your separation and hope it will be as painless to all involved as possible.

The short answer to your question is that you cannot. You can dissolve a household account, in which case mileage will be tracked individually (ie individual avios credits ascribed to whoever flew/earned them). Note that there is more information on HHA in the dedicated thread available through the dashboard.
Cessna152 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:01 am

Sorry to hear that...

If he is a gold member, he can transfer 27k avios free per year to someone in his friends & family list, so he could add you after the HHA is split and do that. Just means 3 years before you get the amount you want. If he is not gold, the fees are extortionate.

Alternatively, he could book you on a flight with his avois to use the difference. There is an article here on the options Can you transfer Avios points to someone else? (headforpoints.com)
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Have you considered estimating a CETV (cash equivalent transfer value) of the Avios in question? Are there other assets of equivalent value that could be used to balance this?
e.g. he keeps the Avios, you keep the cars?
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Avios and Divorce

Household account and separation

Household Avios Account
orbitmic, renila and Cessna152 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 1:38 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
A relatively simple solution is to book flight(s) in your name using 150k Avios, ie half the total balance.

Then dissolve the HHA .

Then either take the flights or use the BWC guarantee to cancel in exchange for FTVs valid until Sep 2023.

Edit: Or once the HHA is disolved simply pay the cancellation fees and get the Avios back into your account it will cost you /(your husband?) £35 if you book a single flight using 150k Avios.

2nd edit ignore cancelling to get Avios back just go for flying or FTV. See post by @cameramaker below
mikeyfly likes this.

Last edited by AJA_; Jan 11, 2022 at 4:48 am
Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by AJA_

Edit: Or once the HHA is disolved simply pay the cancellation fees and get the Avios back into your account it will cost you /(your husband?) £35 if you book a single flight using £150k Avios.
Not sure this will work as I think the avios get deposited back where they came from, so OP would only get approx 24% of the avios back, the same as the proportion they put in when making the original booking.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 6:23 pm

I would would go for a cash value settlement with a value of 1 cent per avios. You buy or he buys to make it50/50. But I really think most people probably have bigger things to deal with including counseling etc.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
"use them then dissolve" sounds simplest to me. Not sure if there's another way around - do Nectar transfers have a limit?
roked likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by drwook
"use them then dissolve" sounds simplest to me. Not sure if there's another way around - do Nectar transfers have a limit?
Good thinking, Nectar could be a very good option, it does have a much higher limit than an straight transfer and I assume it is ok to link different nectar cards / BA accounts to move them around

What are the maximum number of points I can convert manually?

You can convert up to a maximum of 50,000 Avios or 80,000 Nectar points per calendar month.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Can they not be transferred to Avios.com or does that limit to transferring only those in your individual account? When i log into avios.com I see the full HHA value (not just my individual avios) available to transfer. So my theory would be you can both have individual avios.com accounts linked to the your BA accounts and then withdraw 50% each. Then dissolve the HHA and transfer your avios back to your individual account.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by saskew
Hi,

Thanks!
Is he willing to split 50/50?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.