Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another BA crime

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by 13901
I actually think that whoever penned that little gem was British born, raised and schooled. These days I work mostly with non-native speakers (as I am), generally from the Netherlands or the Nordics, and they are all pretty surprised by how bad native British speakers are at spelling. And not just that, errors like it's instead of its, your instead of you're, their instead of there extremely common these days not just amongst the youngsters, but from anyone aged 50 down. Just today I read an email from an (allegedly) Oxbridge-educated client of ours and sweet Jesus riding a wheelbarrow it was bad. It doesn't seem to affect other English native speakers, like the Aussies, Canadians or (I know, I know) Americans.
It’s because we seem to have taken the attitude of “what does it matter as long as people understand what you mean” - in fact, IIRC not so long ago there was even some discussion about whether spelling and grammar should even be scored in exams any more as long as they got their point across!

In which case, you can imagine the level of written English employers are having to deal with - BA are not alone in this. However, you would think they would use someone with decent English skills to proof read it….
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by Donsyb
It’s because we seem to have taken the attitude of “what does it matter as long as people understand what you mean” - in fact, IIRC not so long ago there was even some discussion about whether spelling and grammar should even be scored in exams any more as long as they got their point across!

In which case, you can imagine the level of written English employers are having to deal with - BA are not alone in this. However, you would think they would use someone with decent English skills to proof read it….
Isn't the problem that if properly proof-read, BA's target audience would likely mistake the correct spellings for errors !
Donsyb likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:05 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by JAXBA

Errant apostrophe in plural of Britons too. Ugh!
uh ... does that not work as possessive (therefore correct)?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Briton's inspo?

And looking at Pucci's spelling, the decline has set in long before the current generation.
I blame Nigel Molesworth! https://mobile.twitter.com/reelmolesworth
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Good that I am German so my English is naturally bad hence I an not offended by an email

Sänk yuh for traveling with BA!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TBD
"Love" would have to be the object of the possessive in that case, no?
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:29 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by TBD
no. British people do not possess a like for Tikka Masala, Britons are a group of people that like Tikka Masala. not Briton's.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:32 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Edit: just reread the full original quote. Nevermind. Yea, they clearly meant it as plural.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
This just appeared on my feed. Most popular!?! Says who? It’s currently on J and F

The real crime is the catering, and BA's aspirations in this space. The concept of a bog standard chicken curry being aspirational British food is very 1980's....probably the last time someone from BA F&B went to a restaurant.
scoonee, sl1ppy and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:11 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Coming up next from BA will be, "So where can we take you on your holibobs this year...."
1P, Kgmm77, PETER01 and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Clearly London Airways is reaching out to their key demographic - the under 25's who have lots of money to spend on premium cabins
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:37 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Wickersley
Clearly London Airways is reaching out to their key demographic - the under 25's who have lots of money to spend on premium cabins
Under 25's dont fly BA, and they dont often fly J/F....
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
I actually think that whoever penned that little gem was British born, raised and schooled. These days I work mostly with non-native speakers (as I am), generally from the Netherlands or the Nordics, and they are all pretty surprised by how bad native British speakers are at spelling. And not just that, errors like it's instead of its, your instead of you're, their instead of there extremely common these days not just amongst the youngsters, but from anyone aged 50 down. Just today I read an email from an (allegedly) Oxbridge-educated client of ours and sweet Jesus riding a wheelbarrow it was bad. It doesn't seem to affect other English native speakers, like the Aussies, Canadians or (I know, I know) Americans.
Almost certainly a native. What's worse is that the message would've been reviewed at least once before it was sent and the reviewer(s) didn't notice either.

The problem is that, in general, we aren't taught our own language particularly well at school. It won't be the same for everyone, I'm sure, but my grammar was not particularly good until I went to university and the mistakes were actually highlighted to me. It was a shock seeing how many of them I made.
nancypants and 13901 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
It doesn't seem to affect other English native speakers, like the Aussies, Canadians or (I know, I know) Americans.
I must take exception to this comment. Whilst I don't frequently do side by side comparisons between the Australian and English text, on the whole Aussies are pretty poor, and I'd say on par with the British on butchering the written word. At least when spoken the Australians are concise and intelligible 😉
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
Just today I read an email from an (allegedly) Oxbridge-educated client of ours and sweet Jesus riding a wheelbarrow it was bad. It doesn't seem to affect other English native speakers, like the Aussies, Canadians or (I know, I know) Americans.
That's my favourite phrase this year so far! Thank you for (a) the fabulous mental image which lead to (b) a hearty chuckle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.