Wiki Posts
Search

Avios & Money rules

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Lifetime Gold, (Fond memories of) SPG Lifetime Plat
Avios & Money rules

Can one of the experts please help me with how A&M bookings work now? In the old days an Avios only booking was slightly more flexible in terms of changes. Avios redemptions now start at £1 but the best value remains (at least for RFS bookings) at the old £17.50 level. Are the rules the same for all Avios bookings, regardless of how much cash is contributed, or is the £1 booking now considered the Avios only one? Or does it not make any difference as a GGL anyway?
I would normally phone BA to ask but the wait time is close to an hour at the moment and there are much more pressing issues for them resolve for other travellers.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NC Flyer
Can one of the experts please help me with how A&M bookings work now? In the old days an Avios only booking was slightly more flexible in terms of changes. Avios redemptions now start at £1 but the best value remains (at least for RFS bookings) at the old £17.50 level. Are the rules the same for all Avios bookings, regardless of how much cash is contributed, or is the £1 booking now considered the Avios only one? Or does it not make any difference as a GGL anyway?
I would normally phone BA to ask but the wait time is close to an hour at the moment and there are much more pressing issues for them resolve for other travellers.
rules are the same for all reward bookings in terms of cancellation and changes regardless of the exact price point you pick.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, UA Lifetime Gold, (Fond memories of) SPG Lifetime Plat
Thank you Karfa. I realise that until August it's irrelevant since everything is flexible until then but I wanted to check I would be OK for bookings September and beyond - I got caught once in the past.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by NC Flyer
Thank you Karfa. I realise that until August it's irrelevant since everything is flexible until then but I wanted to check I would be OK for bookings September and beyond - I got caught once in the past.
Well a booking for september wouldn't be covered by BWC/FTV currently.

However, in terms of flexibility as a GGL you wouldn't pay fees anyway, and all reward bookings still remain changeable up to 24 hours before the flight, so that part hasn't changed and isn't part of BWC. These apply regardless of whether you pick the £1 option or the £17.50 one. I suppose the only thing you lose without BWC is that you can't cancel with less than 24 hours of your flight, whereas with BWC you can still get a FTV right up to when check in closes.
Krisz likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:08 am

Avios cancelaltion

I had some points and spent on avios and booked a domestic usa ticket. I cancelled it and I was issued a voucher refund. I was expecting the points in refund. Is this right. Happy new year all
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by karthi525
I had some points and spent on avios and booked a domestic usa ticket. I cancelled it and I was issued a voucher refund. I was expecting the points in refund. Is this right.
If you cancelled online, then all you will get is a Future Travel Voucher, but it will hold everything that you paid. You will have to call to make a new booking using it for the same passenger(s) as on the original booking, but there is no cancellation fee involved if you do that. You can also call to refund the FTV, whereupon the Avios will be refunded to your account and any cash returned to you after the deduction of the cancellation fee. As the FTV is an IOU from BA in the same way that Avios in your account are an IOU from BA, you may want to think carefully about whether you really need a full refund.

If you wanted a full refund at the outset, you would have had to call to cancel for a refund.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
If you cancelled online, then all you will get is a Future Travel Voucher, but it will hold everything that you paid. You will have to call to make a new booking using it for the same passenger(s) as on the original booking, but there is no cancellation fee involved if you do that. You can also call to refund the FTV, whereupon the Avios will be refunded to your account and any cash returned to you after the deduction of the cancellation fee. As the FTV is an IOU from BA in the same way that Avios in your account are an IOU from BA, you may want to think carefully about whether you really need a full refund.

If you wanted a full refund at the outset, you would have had to call to cancel for a refund.
So if I understand correctly. Ftv is full value for same passengers. If we travel the same way can be used. What if destinations change and passengers change
Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:22 pm

So if I understand correctly. Ftv is full value for same passengers. If we travel the same way can be used. What if destinations change and passengers change
If you need more avios and or cash for the new flights then you can add that when booking

if you need less I think they will refund any remainder to your account.

for the offline FTV you have it is only possible to make a new booking for the same passengers as on the original one.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
What if destinations change and passengers change
Destination change for the same passengers is fine, you just pay extra or receive "change" depending on whether the new itinerary costs more or less, as KARFA says.

If you want to change passengers, then you will have to refund the FTV.

If you only want to change one out of (say) two passengers, then I think that in theory you can split the FTV and only refund the half for the passenger who will no longer be travelling. But if you rebook for the remaining (non-refunded) passenger and a new passenger, you will then have two separate bookings with all of the potential hassle involved in that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.