Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tested posititve at airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Tested posititve at airport

So we were due to fly to NY this morning had booked the express test and 2 our party of 4 test positive, so I go to talk to an agent, get sent right around the houses, finally get one agent to talk to and she literally screams at me that I should not be walking around the terminal ( i was tested negative).

I start to walk off away from her abuse with no offer of help, another agent who has just gone off duty calls me over says she is sorry about how I was spoken to points out 2 managers with silver ties. This is at the E concourse at T5 so I do a loop and go towards the managers, get intercepted again buy another BA agent who also makes apologies, makes a phone call, and get me a voucher for our trip within minutes.

All the time keeping me away from the silver tied managers, overall happy with the way BA dealt with it although there needs to be more obvious help for what must be a very common occurrence
Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hash
So we were due to fly to NY this morning had booked the express test and 2 our party of 4 test positive, so I go to talk to an agent, get sent right around the houses, finally get one agent to talk to and she literally screams at me that I should not be walking around the terminal ( i was tested negative).

I start to walk off away from her abuse with no offer of help, another agent who has just gone off duty calls me over says she is sorry about how I was spoken to points out 2 managers with silver ties. This is at the E concourse at T5 so I do a loop and go towards the managers, get intercepted again buy another BA agent who also makes apologies, makes a phone call, and get me a voucher for our trip within minutes.

All the time keeping me away from the silver tied managers, overall happy with the way BA dealt with it although there needs to be more obvious help for what must be a very common occurrence
Cut the agent some slack.....it cannot be easy on the front lines day in and day out trying to work in an out of control pandemic. I don't believe arriving at the airport with 2 out of 4 passengers in your party covid positive is a " common occurrence".

Last edited by david55; Dec 28, 2021 at 7:47 am
Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by david55
Cut the agent some slack.....it cannot be easy on the front lines day in and day out trying to work in a out of control pandemic. I don't believe arriving at the airport with 2 out of 4 passengers in your party covid positive is a " common occurrence".
screaming and shouting doesn’t make your life easier. Wear a mask get jabbed and do your job appropriately. Will you shout and scream someone who has any other illnesses too? Or only Covid??
Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
There is absolutely no reason for an agent to be shouting at a passenger that is unable to travel for reasons outside their control. It's unprofessional and frankly insulting.

The employee should be reminded of the appropriate standards of conduct.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:51 am

There’s that age old saying: if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

The OP would be properly stressed at this stage and instead of receiving a calm and helpful member of staff, he’s met with this. I’m afraid it’s simply wrong.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It's wrong, yes, but understandable. I'm with team slack cutting here. The outcome was acceptable, and presumably the agent has been spoken to offline.
Fritz, IAMORGAN, mrow and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:08 am

Screaming at a paying passenger in trouble. Something is really off these days. BA should comp the ride and write a formal excuse.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless someone is literally hitting you there is no excuse for losing your professional demeanour
lhrpete, MaxFlyer, Krisz and 8 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Skywards Gold, BAEC Silver, SAA Voyager
Originally Posted by bisonrav
It's wrong, yes, but understandable. I'm with team slack cutting here. The outcome was acceptable, and presumably the agent has been spoken to offline.
I bet you would not be calling for slack had the OP shouted and screamed at the staff member. I am with the OP, staff shouting and screaming at customers is unacceptable and no slack should be given.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:37 am

Glad you got vouchered in the end. I hope that your positive party recover quickly and fully, and that the other two haven't caught it.

As an aside, this is one reason I don't test at airports on departure. Arrival, yes, departure, no.

rb211.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by estrela
Screaming at a paying passenger in trouble. Something is really off these days. BA should comp the ride and write a formal excuse.
Please don't be ridiculous.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
If I were to be in a close group and one tests positive the last thing I would do is "find a BA agent to talk to". I would leave avoiding as many as people as possible and put myself in isolation.

Poor choice of actions from the OP. What exactly were after beyond a voucher which you were emailed in advance about?
david55, mrow, MEL-World and 17 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
If I were to be in a close group and one tests positive the last thing I would do is "find a BA agent to talk to". I would leave avoiding as many as people as possible and put myself in isolation.

Poor choice of actions from the OP. What exactly were after beyond a voucher which you were emailed in advance about?
The problem being you have to request your voucher before the ch3ck in for the flight closes. Given the waits of quite frankly humongous lengths at the moment there’s a chance the OP would lose their fare if they couldn’t cancel the booking in time over the phone

id have thought whilst this is t a surprise to BA I’d personally would have done a LFT beforehand. Even if BA staff offloaded them from the flight and annotated the booking that would be something then allowing the traveller to battle with the call centre with no time pressure.
remaxmac and mnhusker like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 10:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher

I agree with ScienceTeacher. If two in my party tested positive, I would be mortified, maybe even embarrassed and my concern would be not giving anyone else around me covid. We all would all be making a beeline to the nearest exit and dealing with the admin part of the "not flying today" from home since you aren't going anywhere, anytime soon. If I had to guess the CSR who raised her voice to you....felt the same thing.
IAMORGAN, mrow, Adam1222 and 11 others like this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
Testing negative on an antigen test (if this is what the express test was) does not mean that OP does not have CV-19, especially if they are living in close proximity with others who are positive. They should get a proper PCR test done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.