Wiki Posts
Search

ABZ-LHR-JNB PCR testing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
ABZ-LHR-JNB PCR testing?

I have looked through various threads but can't find answers to my question, please forgive me if I'm being a complete numptie.

As it looks like we may have a chance of getting to South Africa in January, we are now trying to sort out PCR tests for travel. Our flight from ABZ 22/01/2022 dep:10:40 and arrives LHR 12:25. Our flight from LHR to JNB dep: 21:10 and arrives JNB 10:15. (next day). We have booked a hotel close to ABZ airport for the night before our flight as we live some distance away. We should arrive in Aberdeen around lunchtime.
The PCR tests at ABZ airport cost £80 pp for 24 hour results or £150pp for 12 hour test results.

Has anyone used the testing facilities at ABZ and how quickly did the results come through? Does anyone know of any other way of us doing the PCR tests as those amounts seem expensive compared to others advertised on the BA website? I assume to check in at ABZ we would need to have a negative PCR result so that we could check in all the way through to JNB?
Thanks for any help and advice.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Do you need a PCR Test? it looks like a rapid antigen / lateral flow test and certificate would be suitable

Travel - Coronavirus COVID-19 | South African Government (www.gov.za)

(a) A traveler must provide a valid certificate with a negative COVID-19 test outcome, recognised by the World Health Organisation, or equivalent local accredited authority, obtained not more than 72 hours before the date of travel. South African Authorities reserve the right to verify the authenticity of the presented certificate;

It also looks like you can travel without a test and pay to take one when you arrive

(b) in the event of the traveller's failure, for whatever reason, to submit a valid negative test certificate in terms of paragraph (a), upon arrival in South Africa, the traveller shall be required to do an antigen test at his or her own costs;

However ... (l) an Operator shall not board any passenger without a valid negative COVID-19 certificate; So yes it should be checked at checkin or perhaps at the gate at LHR (possibly even both)

Verifly is supported for BA to South Africa so it can be checked there and presented to checkin staff

Also 72 hour before the date of travel may give you the opportunity to do a test somewhere more local to you before you leave for Aberdeen

Last edited by scottishpoet; Dec 28, 2021 at 6:41 am
Old Dec 28, 2021, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
You definitely need a PCR test. Keep reading the link above under the title "Air travel [updated 29 January 2021]" and it explicitly states PCR.

£80 is not a bad price for an in person test given the lack of competition north of central Scotland. If you are willing to risk the post, you could register and swab the PCR at home after 10 pm on 3 days before travel, post in a priority box 2 days before travel and you should get your result by the night in the airport hotel. If you haven't got it by morning, you still have time to book the Expresstest 3 hr turnaround at T5 for the day of your flight. Or Collinson and Randox are cheaper but you need to get transport to them (off Bath Rd). But I would expect you to only be able to check in to LHR and have to collect your bags and then recheck once the paperwork comes through, so you would have a few (nervous?) hours landside at Heathrow.

I used Expresstest in person in Bristol (£69 pp) about 48 hours before flying (at 7pm), and I was happy paying more for the reassurance of turnaround time. We got results by 2 pm the day after the test, which allowed us to complete verifly and check in online when check in opened.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
while I agree the article from Janiuary 2021 says you need a PCR test, is what I posted not the update from october 2021, Gazette 45379?

that said , the UK FCO site does say you need a PCR test result

if so sorry and yes, 80 quid is not a bad price, for comparison, randox glasgows next day test is £55 and their express test is £80

Last edited by scottishpoet; Dec 28, 2021 at 8:50 am
Old Dec 28, 2021, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by redrose59
I have looked through various threads but can't find answers to my question, please forgive me if I'm being a complete numptie.

As it looks like we may have a chance of getting to South Africa in January, we are now trying to sort out PCR tests for travel. Our flight from ABZ 22/01/2022 dep:10:40 and arrives LHR 12:25. Our flight from LHR to JNB dep: 21:10 and arrives JNB 10:15. (next day). We have booked a hotel close to ABZ airport for the night before our flight as we live some distance away. We should arrive in Aberdeen around lunchtime.
The PCR tests at ABZ airport cost £80 pp for 24 hour results or £150pp for 12 hour test results.

Has anyone used the testing facilities at ABZ and how quickly did the results come through? Does anyone know of any other way of us doing the PCR tests as those amounts seem expensive compared to others advertised on the BA website? I assume to check in at ABZ we would need to have a negative PCR result so that we could check in all the way through to JNB?
Thanks for any help and advice.
Hi. I live in Aberdeenshire and did a PCR test at ABZ (TCA Health group) before my ABZ-LHR-YYZ trip last week. For Canada, it’s a PCR test no more than 72 hour before departure of the direct flight into Canada, so I booked the £80 24 hour test. This fee includes parking in the short stay car park. Test was done at 13:30 and the email with the result and certificate came in at 05:00. I used the VeriFLY app and everything was checked and I was able to check online for all flights.

I think there is a testing facility at the Crowne Plaza hotel at the airport, and also Union Square.
redrose59 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze, LH M&M
Thanks everyone, much appreciated.
We will get PCR tests done in person, better to be on the safe side.(I don't trust the post especially with the current situation with delays due to staff abscenses). And I would hate for us to be rejected at check in or on arrival in JNB because we didn't have the "right" test.
I have looked at the testing in Union Square which would fit in nicely. We can hop off our train in Aberdeen, get the test done and then catch the bus out to the airport and go straight to the Holiday Inn Express where we will be staying. And then wait for the results.........with everything crossed. lol. We will be doing LFT in the days before we go and keeping very much to ourselves so hopefully we will be ok.
konagirl2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.