Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA cancelled connecting flight, rebooking options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2021, 8:28 am
Original Poster

A couple of months ago I booked some flights for May 2022 from NCL to LAX via LHR. But a few days ago I got an email saying my flights from NCL to LHR have been cancelled and they rebooked me on to different flights. Only problem is, on the way back my LHR to NCL flight departs before I arrive at LHR from LAX.

I am trying to figure out the best thing to do with this trip. With Covid lingering on into 2022 it's looking like domestic flights are going to be problematic again.

I'm leaning towards booking direct flights from LHR to LAX instead and making my way to LHR by train to minimise the risk of disruption. But it's a bit of a faff. Another option is to book an earlier flight back from LAX to meet the connection from LHR to NCL. Problem is I've got a good deal on my car hire and don't want to have to rebook it. Could also look at other airlines and route through European airports I suppose. Everything I've booked with BA over the past couple of years has been cancelled.

What is the consensus on domestic flights next Spring? Is it worth avoiding trips with domestic connections such as NCL to LHR?
Old Dec 25, 2021, 8:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The car hire probably makes this a BA Holiday booking (and definitely so if you only paid a deposit). I would do precisely nothing, and have another look at his in say early April, whiile retaining note of the fact that BA cancelled flights on you. The impossible connection is likely to be corrected for you in a week or two, but again I would do nothing at this stage. Until you accept the changes, you are not bound by them.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Plat...
For me, it's actually beneficial when legs like this are cancelled -- it adds much more flexibility
Old Dec 25, 2021, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Nah, it's not a BA Holiday booking. I booked the car hire separately because I heard/saw that car hire prices have rocketed due to the supply shortage, and I found a good deal. It's refundable, but I rather keep it if possible.

I think if they correct the impossible connection then the only thing they can do is book me on to an earlier LAX to LHR departure, as I'd booked the 21:25 from LAX which I believe is the last flight of the day. An earlier flight such as the 17:05 would allow me to catch the earlier flight from LHR to NCL but would mean I'd have to drop my car off about 4 hours earlier than I stated. Not sure if the car hire company would penalise me for that. Also means less time to get to LAX as I'm not spending the night before in the city but I think it would work.

Interestingly though there is a 21:10 flight from LHR to NCL which I could make, but when I route the NCL - LAX return through the BA website it only gives business class available for the return flight with that connection. Surely it can't be fully booked in economy already.

@Jitesh1: Why does it add more flexibility?
Old Dec 25, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Plat...
Originally Posted by Xenor
Why does it add more flexibility?
I am sure it applies to BAH bookings, but they would need to be flexible in rebooking you once they cancel, or importanly offer a refund. I often pick flights that I feel are likely to cancel for this flexibility, and use them to rebook a flight a day before -- that would cost a lot (and gain the benefits of a revenue booking vs redemption)
Old Dec 26, 2021, 1:55 am

My experience BA is flexible on rebooking. I would check if they can get you on the late flight to NCL. Probably not full, just the booking engine playing with you.

Also more changes could happen before May...
Xenor likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Discus
My experience BA is flexible on rebooking. I would check if they can get you on the late flight to NCL. Probably not full, just the booking engine playing with you.

Also more changes could happen before May...
Yeah it's worth a try I suppose. I looked into the flights more and it seems it is the LAX to LHR flight where economy is unavailable. This flight is in June as I'm over there for 4 weeks. I find it hard to believe that they have sold all economy seats on the flight this far in advance so I'm starting to wonder if this is a sign that they will be cancelling that flight and don't want to take any more bookings.

Maybe I should do nothing for now, as someone else advised.

I mainly booked so far in advance because when the US announced their border reopening I expected a surge of demand for 2022 trips over there and prices to go up above normal levels. It doesn't look like that has happened, and I would guess omicron is going to put a lot of people off travelling next year as well.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 11:23 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Xenor
Not sure if the car hire company would penalise me for that.
I have never been penalised for dropping off a car early. And certainly I would expect this to have been priced on a number of days and 4 hours earlier is likely to be the same number of days.

I’ve done this this in places catering for ski transfers where a Sat-Sat hire is priced at a big premium to Sat-Sun, given that’s how the prevailing packages work and it’s a captive market. Never had any come back on dropping off a day early even though might be saving €hundreds. Obviously YMMV and I’ve never done an early drop off in the states to my knowledge, although 4 hours I’m not even sure I would think about.
Xenor and dylanks like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.