Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Germany

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
BA and Germany

Just seen the news that Germany is closing its border to British tourists.

For reasons I won’t go into here, I have urgent business there; but I suspect BA will now cancel all flights UFN.

Any idea when cancellations will start to show? The restrictions come into force tonight.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:54 am

The won’t cancel *all* flights. Certainly the main destinations like FRA will maintain some level of service even if cut back significantly.

Remember Germans can continue to enter Germany from the UK anyway.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 1:04 am

Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
14 day mandatory quarantine for all arriving into Germany from the UK. I'd imagine that'd kill off any connecting traffic too.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The won’t cancel *all* flights. Certainly the main destinations like FRA will maintain some level of service even if cut back significantly.

That is possible yes but the two week quarantine for all incoming travellers is likely to snuff out demand in at least one direction.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
That is possible yes but the two week quarantine for all incoming travellers is likely to snuff out demand in at least one direction.
That’s indeed the proverbial final nail in the coffin.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 2:14 am

Programs: BA Silver

And residents. I am not sure if there's a carriage ban? BA flights were still running when this happened last year, after the initial shutdown of all travel between UK and Germany was lifted, though only 2-3 times per week.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Colesmore
14 day mandatory quarantine for all arriving into Germany from the UK. I'd imagine that'd kill off any connecting traffic too.
Except that connecting traffic (eg JFK-LHR-DUS) is exempt. That’s probably the only traffic that will keep flights to bigger destinations open.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Exec
As has been mentioned, BA maintained a schedule to Germany even through the period of toughest restrictions last year. I suspect some flights may be cancelled but not all.

Some people are exempt from the restrictions, including quarantine - granted, not many.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:29 am
Suspended

During past lockdowns, that wasn't the case for FRA. BA did cut rotations LHR-FRA and LCY-FRA to zero.

If memory serves me right, LH maintained rudimentary service, though.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
Except that connecting traffic (eg JFK-LHR-DUS) is exempt. That’s probably the only traffic that will keep flights to bigger destinations open.
Sorry, I have to correct my statements regarding the quote above. My corrected reply is below

Germany will place the UK on the list of countries with a virus variant of concern tomorrow. That means most travellers without German passport or German residency are prohibited from flying into Germany.

In contrast to my previous statement, you could still do a transit such as LHR-MUC-JFK. They changed the rules on that. Airside transit is okay even if coming from an area of variant of concern, even from those without German passport or residency.

Last edited by EDB99; Dec 19, 2021 at 4:55 am
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by EDB99
Isn't the rumour Germany will place the UK on the list of countries with a virus variant of concern?

If the UK lands on that list, UK citizens will be banned from flying to Germany without an exception for transfers!
There is an exemption for transfers, even if the country has a variant of concern. That is what the German health authority website says (apologies - this is in German): https://www.bundesgesundheitsministe...nreisende.html

Personen, die lediglich durch ein Hochrisiko- oder Virusvariantengebiet durchgereist sind und dort keinen Zwischenaufenthalt hatten sind von der Einreisequarantänepflicht ausgenommen. Zwischenaufenthalte sind Aufenthalte, die die übliche Zeitdauer notwendiger Halte zum Beispiel zur Rast oder für Tankvorgänge überschreiten; Umsteigezeiten an einem Flughafen gelten nicht als Zwischenaufenthalt.”

Transits in airports to change planes are explicitly mentioned.
becks1 and Nephoi like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Just seen the news that Germany is closing its border to British tourists.

For reasons I won’t go into here, I have urgent business there; but I suspect BA will now cancel all flights UFN.

Any idea when cancellations will start to show? The restrictions come into force tonight.
You need to rethink your trip

Everyone arriving from the UK needs to quarantine

Not just tourists not being let in but any non resident who has been in the UK
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
There is an exemption for transfers, even if the country has a variant of concern.
yes, I already edited the previous post before seeing your latest post
Europeanexplorer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I can't help but think in a month's time all these travel restrictions will be entirely pointless. They probably already are.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Schwann
I can't help but think in a month's time all these travel restrictions will be entirely pointless. They probably already are.
As the UK has proven!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.