BA and Germany

Old Dec 19, 21, 1:52 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Posts: 884
BA and Germany

Just seen the news that Germany is closing its border to British tourists.

For reasons I won’t go into here, I have urgent business there; but I suspect BA will now cancel all flights UFN.

Any idea when cancellations will start to show? The restrictions come into force tonight.
HFHFFlyer is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 1:54 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8,445
The won’t cancel *all* flights. Certainly the main destinations like FRA will maintain some level of service even if cut back significantly.

Remember Germans can continue to enter Germany from the UK anyway.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 2:04 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Manchester
Programs: VA (Plat), QR (OWE), BAEC (Silver), AY (Gold), HH (Diamond)
Posts: 161
14 day mandatory quarantine for all arriving into Germany from the UK. I'd imagine that'd kill off any connecting traffic too.
Colesmore is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 2:05 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Posts: 884
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The won’t cancel *all* flights. Certainly the main destinations like FRA will maintain some level of service even if cut back significantly.

Remember Germans can continue to enter Germany from the UK anyway.

That is possible yes but the two week quarantine for all incoming travellers is likely to snuff out demand in at least one direction.
HFHFFlyer is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 2:23 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Anywhere
Posts: 6,372
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
That is possible yes but the two week quarantine for all incoming travellers is likely to snuff out demand in at least one direction.
That’s indeed the proverbial final nail in the coffin.
carrotjuice is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 3:14 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 207
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The won’t cancel *all* flights. Certainly the main destinations like FRA will maintain some level of service even if cut back significantly.

Remember Germans can continue to enter Germany from the UK anyway.
And residents. I am not sure if there's a carriage ban? BA flights were still running when this happened last year, after the initial shutdown of all travel between UK and Germany was lifted, though only 2-3 times per week.
mustafina is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 5:23 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by Colesmore
14 day mandatory quarantine for all arriving into Germany from the UK. I'd imagine that'd kill off any connecting traffic too.
Except that connecting traffic (eg JFK-LHR-DUS) is exempt. That’s probably the only traffic that will keep flights to bigger destinations open.
Europeanexplorer is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 5:28 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: BA Exec
Posts: 647
As has been mentioned, BA maintained a schedule to Germany even through the period of toughest restrictions last year. I suspect some flights may be cancelled but not all.

Some people are exempt from the restrictions, including quarantine - granted, not many.
Bar Operator is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 5:29 am
  #9  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The won’t cancel *all* flights. Certainly the main destinations like FRA will maintain some level of service even if cut back significantly.
During past lockdowns, that wasn't the case for FRA. BA did cut rotations LHR-FRA and LCY-FRA to zero.

If memory serves me right, LH maintained rudimentary service, though.
EDB99 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 5:31 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
Except that connecting traffic (eg JFK-LHR-DUS) is exempt. That’s probably the only traffic that will keep flights to bigger destinations open.
Sorry, I have to correct my statements regarding the quote above. My corrected reply is below

Germany will place the UK on the list of countries with a virus variant of concern tomorrow. That means most travellers without German passport or German residency are prohibited from flying into Germany.

In contrast to my previous statement, you could still do a transit such as LHR-MUC-JFK. They changed the rules on that. Airside transit is okay even if coming from an area of variant of concern, even from those without German passport or residency.

Last edited by EDB99; Dec 19, 21 at 5:55 am
EDB99 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 5:54 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by EDB99
Isn't the rumour Germany will place the UK on the list of countries with a virus variant of concern?

If the UK lands on that list, UK citizens will be banned from flying to Germany without an exception for transfers!
There is an exemption for transfers, even if the country has a variant of concern. That is what the German health authority website says (apologies - this is in German): https://www.bundesgesundheitsministe...nreisende.html

“Personen, die lediglich durch ein Hochrisiko- oder Virusvariantengebiet durchgereist sind und dort keinen Zwischenaufenthalt hatten sind von der Einreisequarantänepflicht ausgenommen. Zwischenaufenthalte sind Aufenthalte, die die übliche Zeitdauer notwendiger Halte zum Beispiel zur Rast oder für Tankvorgänge überschreiten; Umsteigezeiten an einem Flughafen gelten nicht als Zwischenaufenthalt.”

Transits in airports to change planes are explicitly mentioned.
becks1 and Nephoi like this.
Europeanexplorer is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 5:54 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 5,057
Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer
Just seen the news that Germany is closing its border to British tourists.

For reasons I won’t go into here, I have urgent business there; but I suspect BA will now cancel all flights UFN.

Any idea when cancellations will start to show? The restrictions come into force tonight.
You need to rethink your trip

Everyone arriving from the UK needs to quarantine

Not just tourists not being let in but any non resident who has been in the UK
scottishpoet is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 5:56 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by Europeanexplorer
There is an exemption for transfers, even if the country has a variant of concern.
yes, I already edited the previous post before seeing your latest post
Europeanexplorer likes this.
EDB99 is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 5:59 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: BRS
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 4,759
I can't help but think in a month's time all these travel restrictions will be entirely pointless. They probably already are.
Schwann is offline  
Old Dec 19, 21, 6:01 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 5,057
Originally Posted by Schwann
I can't help but think in a month's time all these travel restrictions will be entirely pointless. They probably already are.
As the UK has proven!
scottishpoet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.