Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 Boarding entire lower deck via 1st class? DXB-LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Long story short i think i caught covid on my recent flight from DXB-LHR (I'm recovered now in isolation before xmas)
I say i think, because i don't know, but i was tested before my flight and every 3 days whilst in Abu Dhabi, and only detected on my Day2 test back in the UK.

Firstly the gate is completely rammed with zero social distancing enforced, in fact its actually the opposite with everyone being crammed because they have the "final call" flashing well before boarding has even started forcing more in more people into the gate area.

But the bit i really dont understand is why BA board the entire lower deck through first class door... there are lots of doors on this bird, why cant they hook up one of the middle doors, cant say i travel first much, or a380, but this kind of defeated the purpose for me (keep my distance from people during covid)
Old Dec 18, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
The 2L airbridge may have been faulty, but in normal circumstances there should be a dedicated First airbridge to 1L.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Sorry to be brutal but you don't really think there is any possibility for social distancing whilst travelling by air ?? The airports were never set up for it and most everyone has no idea how to queue and just wants to get on board.

If you want to travel you are bound to come into more contact with more people than if you stay home and that comes with increased risks. One hopes your Covid is mild which it seems to be for many hence the reason why people are still travelling. I am off to Saudi in the New Year and I rate my chances about 50/50 of coming in to contact with a person with Covid so it's really not worth me complaining if I catch it (and I am jabbed and boosted so am willing to take the risk)
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:54 am

If you have done the day 2 test immediately upon Arrival (or on the same day), I don’t think you caught it on the plane.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 9:56 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Long story short i think i caught covid on my recent flight from DXB-LHR (I'm recovered now in isolation before xmas)
I say i think, because i don't know, but i was tested before my flight and every 3 days whilst in Abu Dhabi, and only detected on my Day2 test back in the UK.

Firstly the gate is completely rammed with zero social distancing enforced, in fact its actually the opposite with everyone being crammed because they have the "final call" flashing well before boarding has even started forcing more in more people into the gate area.

But the bit i really dont understand is why BA board the entire lower deck through first class door... there are lots of doors on this bird, why cant they hook up one of the middle doors, cant say i travel first much, or a380, but this kind of defeated the purpose for me (keep my distance from people during covid)
Ah, you must have caught the Y-variant then...
86BA7, abligh, 747jetter and 17 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

if it was gate d9 and d10 at dxb. I had the same experience for boarding on 4th dec . Bit of a mess in the gate area but they called rows 50 to 53 to board and boarded as I was in row 51. I did notice only door 1 on the main deck being used and thought everyone is walking through First class.

Regards

Tbs
Old Dec 18, 2021, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
Sorry to be brutal but you don't really think there is any possibility for social distancing whilst travelling by air ?? The airports were never set up for it and most everyone has no idea how to queue and just wants to get on board.

If you want to travel you are bound to come into more contact with more people than if you stay home and that comes with increased risks. One hopes your Covid is mild which it seems to be for many hence the reason why people are still travelling. I am off to Saudi in the New Year and I rate my chances about 50/50 of coming in to contact with a person with Covid so it's really not worth me complaining if I catch it (and I am jabbed and boosted so am willing to take the risk)
Its not brutal, but you are ignoring the numbers, you have more chance of catching covid NOT travelling if you happen to live in London and need to leave your house. I rate your chances for 100/100 of coming into contact with a person with Covid in London.

And of course i think there is a chance to social distance whilst travelling, more so the more further forward you fly, which is part of the reason people seek out the less dense cabins. Also airports ARE setup to have people board a380s in an orderly fashion and through separate doors, Emirates achieves this without an issue, as have BA on many other flights ive taken, but they haven't sorted themselves out when it comes to the a380 im afraid.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

if it was gate d9 and d10 at dxb. I had the same experience for boarding on 4th dec . Bit of a mess in the gate area but they called rows 50 to 53 to board and boarded as I was in row 51. I did notice only door 1 on the main deck being used and thought everyone is walking through First class.

Regards

Tbs
Yup it was d9...
Old Dec 18, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Nothing to add, just want to give you props for flying BA with a Red Bull Racing hat.
Cheers Max!
thomas199023 and gojko88 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Yup it was d9...
The eye blanks are genuinely LOL hilarious. I mean come on......😉
nancypants, YacozA, DC9 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:39 pm
YXU

Programs: AC 50K, Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground

I just wanted to add, I'm also travelling to Saudi soon, and they have the lowest COVID rates I've seen. Also, they use the "Tawaklana" app which strictly enforces vaccinations - So I'd say you're much safer than "50/50"!
Old Dec 18, 2021, 2:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

Regards

Tbs
Maybe it's an advertising ploy so that people who normally travel in Y can see how nice F is?
Old Dec 18, 2021, 4:00 pm
Suspended

whats to say you didn’t catch it walking through UKBF with all their unmasked staff?
Radiation Station and Schwann like this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by r0gerthat
Nothing to add, just want to give you props for flying BA with a Red Bull Racing hat.
Cheers Max!
Actually came directly from the race.... (and no wasn't in a packed grandstand, rather we were watching for the hotel balcony)

Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
whats to say you didn’t catch it walking through UKBF with all their unmasked staff?
Landed 5.30 am, through e-gate, no human interaction at all...
r0gerthat likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2021, 11:18 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Not that it helps much on the covid front, but I boarded a QR A350 from D9 in DXB recently and they had both jet bridges in operation and everything was very orderly. That said, there was a substantial lack of seating in the gate area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.