Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to prove to BA I will be transiting in France

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:50 am
Original Poster

I joined the thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...ements-11.html
earlier today after the changes to the French entry rules. I am flying ex-EU from CDG to MEL later this month. I have a BA flight to CDG booked. I thought I had it all worked out by deciding to do the trip hand baggage only and staying airside in CDG to jump on my QR flight the next morning.

As one FTer has cleverly pointed out though, it may be hard to convince BA that I am not staying in France as the ticket is separate to the one I am leaving France on. So I am unsure of what is the most likely outcome here. Are BA likely to allow me to fly if I show proof of the next flight, that leaves from an adjoining terminal (can stay airside) or are they going to demand proof of permission to enter France? Transit for less than 24 hours in the international zone of an airport is listed under “essential reasons” to travel.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
You might find this thread helpful:

Turkish Air Turkey extortion and deny boarding for transit flights
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Very interesting post above - thank you.

OK, is this pushing things too far? I could book a LON-CDG-XXX flight, then ditch the CDG-XXX leg and simply pick up my QR flight instead? There are some cheap enough options that it may just work.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
In terms of BA they will treat you as an arrival, and require you to meet arrival requirements so there is a high probability for failure. I am not sure what you could actually book as XXX tbh all on one ticket.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
I am not sure what you could actually book as XXX tbh all on one ticket.
I'm figuring anywhere that allows me in as a UK traveller!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Silly question, but have you tried calling QR and asking them how much it would cost to switch to LHR departure instead of CDG? As others have said, there is no guarantee that BA will accept the transit narrative, nor do they have to, so given the nature of the trip and the likely investment it must have represented, personally, the uncertainty would be too much for me.
becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Do you need to fly BA for the first leg?

If not, something this might work (there may cheaper options than Rome):

Or, if you do need to fly BA:

becks1 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Silly question, but have you tried calling QR and asking them how much it would cost to switch to LHR departure instead of CDG? As others have said, there is no guarantee that BA will accept the transit narrative, nor do they have to, so given the nature of the trip and the likely investment it must have represented, personally, the uncertainty would be too much for me.
I did call them but the cost is enormous. I got a very decent price for this flight and it has skyrocketed since then. Basically they want to reissue the ticket at current prices to allow them to change the departure point.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AdBoy
Do you need to fly BA for the first leg?

If not, something this might work (there may cheaper options than Rome):

Or, if you do need to fly BA:

I've been looking at exactly this sort of thing (different dates). However on another thread I have posted onto, orbitmic has correctly pointed out a flaw - it is possible the LON-CDG leg could be cancelled in the current climate and I would end up being rerouted directly to my XXX destination - which would be a total disaster!
Old Dec 16, 2021, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
What about transiting an EU country? LHR-XXX-CDG.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
What about transiting an EU country? LHR-XXX-CDG.
Same result as I would terminate in CDG. I need to be able to show that I intend to transit in CDG, not end my flight there. Only way to do that would be to include a second destination on the ticket, that I would have no intention of going to. Then use the fact that I am IN transit, waiting for that mythical second leg but instead pop over to my flight to DOH.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 6:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Whilst you are “transiting’ your ticket is LHR-CDG and your other ticket is CDG-DOH-xxx a ticket that originates in CDG therefore by airline definition you are not “in transit” and you must ,meet the arrival criteria for France so it’s highly likely BA will deny you boarding at LHR and depending what QRs book with confidence policy is you might loose your trip

there was a thread here in the summer of a person travelling LHR-DOH-LHR staying airside at DOH having a meeting. He defined himself as being in transit on a back to back but the definition of his trip was an outward leg LHR-DON and return leg DOH-LHR. We were not permitted to enter DOH at the time he was denied boarding at LHR but he didn’t get a BA FTV by check in close and lost the trip.

id be wary of using the LHR-CDG-MAD option as you will be expected to go through the French /Schengen border. Doha is of course outside the Schengen area. If you can stay airside will the API for both trips be corrupted at CDG as you won’t be shown as departing France or going through the Schengen border and this May be a red flag and cause problems if you try to board the DOH flight.

Whilst it sounds harsh there were plenty of warnings that ex-eu in a pandemic is risky as entry criteria can and will change at short notice and to avoid losing the trip if you no longer meet entry rules you should fly direct.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Same result as I would terminate in CDG. I need to be able to show that I intend to transit in CDG, not end my flight there. Only way to do that would be to include a second destination on the ticket, that I would have no intention of going to. Then use the fact that I am IN transit, waiting for that mythical second leg but instead pop over to my flight to DOH.
Since the issue is starting from the UK couldn’t you LHR-Friendly EU country, separate ticket, Friendly EU country - CDG? Or have I misunderstood the issue ?
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Is this hand luggage only? That could have an impact on what people suggest.
If you have to travel, then how about checking BA avios availability for LHR-XXX if BA or a partner airline fly the route. There's a 50% buy avios sale on at the moment which could ease the pain.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Why do so many members of FT seem to think basic rules can be bent for them. This is an obvious case of the poster knowing the rules but wishing they did not apply to him. Bottom line is a transit is a transit on one ticket. He is asking how to use two tickets to bend the rules. OP you are screwed right now unless you find a way to get all your flights on 1 ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.