Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Air travelers to U.S. set to face tougher COVID-19 testing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...19-2021-11-30/

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/30/p...ion/index.html
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA
What good does this do? Now the PCR tests (more reliable) aren't really an option, so people will just use the rapid antigen things.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by golfer20
What good does this do? Now the PCR tests (more reliable) aren't really an option, so people will just use the rapid antigen things.
Currently the LFTs are all that are needed for air-entry to the US. The key thing is the timing. 3 days (to me) has always been too long given the potential contacts between testing and flying.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The quarantine is the killer as it puts and end to any short weekend or business trips. Plus who is going to want to spend all that money to have to quarantine for that period of time. People just won’t travel to the US.
holmedown, orbitmic, DrGee and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
The quarantine is the killer as it puts and end to any short weekend or business trips. Plus who is going to want to spend all that money to have to quarantine for that period of time. People just won’t travel to the US.
Based on the Reuters article OP shared, it sounds like the quarantine requirement would remain only for unvaccinated travelers. Others would simply be required to test again:

The administration is also considering whether to require air travelers to get another COVID-19 test within three to five days after arrival in the United States, officials said.

The CDC did not confirm that, but noted it continues to recommend all "travelers should get a COVID-19 viral test 3-5 days after arrival" and "post-travel quarantine for any unvaccinated travelers."
At the very least, it's not at all clear from the article that a general quarantine would be necessary.

Mid-term (months to 1-2 years from now), I think the best strategy will be for international airports to set up on-site rapid PCR testing centers with internationally agreed-upon standards and regulated prices so that people can test 2-3 hours before departure. Show up, test, bag check, get result, clear security. You might need to scan your test result QR to clear outbound passport control. (You could also test elsewhere within a day of departure.)
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:01 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, BA GGL/CCR,/GFL, A3 Gold, JBU Mosaic, ITA Executive, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ezefllying
Based on the Reuters article OP shared, it sounds like the quarantine requirement would remain only for unvaccinated travelers. Others would simply be required to test again:

At the very least, it's not at all clear from the article that a general quarantine would be necessary.

Mid-term (months to 1-2 years from now), I think the best strategy will be for international airports to set up on-site rapid PCR testing centers with internationally agreed-upon standards and regulated prices so that people can test 2-3 hours before departure. Show up, test, bag check, get result, clear security. You might need to scan your test result QR to clear outbound passport control. (You could also test elsewhere within a day of departure.)
It would have been the best strategy already for 2 years
if it hasn’t been set up at most airports from the day and age of a 500 dollars 24-hours PCR (near LAX, OCT 2020, shameless) it is because someone is profiting big time from this mess and would not give up that profit so easily
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
My issue with testing a short time frame prior to flying is getting to somewhere to test.
I don't live in say London, where I can pop to numerous test centres on the Tube or by car, get a test and go home.
I'm 2hrs away from the nearest places, so a 4hr round-trip. If I'm working all day, I can't get to these places before they shut, and postal tests take too long.

Next week, I'm flying early Friday morning and need a PCR test. Need to take the Thursday off work to get a test done and to get the result back in time. Early flight again 2 days later, so have to take another test after arrival to make sure it comes back in time.
holmedown, mrow, u01sss3 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:11 am

It has to be said that at the moment there is no certain rule, these are all speculative pieces from the press. Surely leaked by the powers that be, but still speculation atm.

But I’m ready to bet they’ll enforce something that will make my forthcoming family visit to the US next to impossible.
Keystone likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
So if you have an Avios booking and you are required to do a test within 24 hours and test positive then that will be bad news. Will cash flights be similarly affected?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by srbrenna
So if you have an Avios booking and you are required to do a test within 24 hours and test positive then that will be bad news. Will cash flights be similarly affected?
You can FTV it of course (currently) but I agree, there will be tears
Old Dec 1, 2021, 1:35 am

Programs: hahaha
I feel like that since throughout the pandemic, the land border entry rules (w/ Canada) and air border rules were administered differently, if this policy goes ahead we're gonna see some people arrive in Canada and drive across to continue their trip. Gotta do whatever it takes to have that Christmas!
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is bad news for BAH customers rather than flight only - I have a payment due date of 05/12 for 26/12 holiday.....
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
This is bad news for BAH customers rather than flight only - I have a payment due date of 05/12 for 26/12 holiday.....
Although I have just booked and paid for 4 of us to be tested as we fly to Dublin on Saturday as those rules changed yesterday to come in on Friday only because that is already a paid BAH - im just about ready to throw towel in on my other bookings, im certainly not settling the bill on our £6k trip to Washington in Feb which will be due to be paid early Jan next year unless things settle down, which doesnt look likely.
Feel so sorry for Airline industry, they been well shafted again.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The mandatory post-arrival quarantine is just a rumor. Don't panic now!
Other sources are quoting that post-arrival quarantine is just a recommendation.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I have no idea how a post-arrival quarantine would be enforced, from a practical standpoint. Yes there is precedent for enforcement mechanisms — at the state or local level — but it’s always been patchy at best.
Keystone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.