Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Domestic connecting cancelled on Christmas day. Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat

I had a ticket booked through Cathay pacific miles on BA metal USA>LHR>NCL. BA have cancelled all flights to NCL on Christmas day leaving me stranded in LHR for 24hrs. It goes without saying that I need to make it back home for Christmas day with the family so can't stay in London for Christmas day. I am unable to leave a day earlier from USA as going there for an event which finishes 24th.

What are my options with BA? There are no trains, car hire is ridiculous rates!

My only option is to drive down to LHR and leave my car but that will end up costing me £200 in parking charges and £150 in fuel.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I was going to suggest , get BA or your ticker issuer to reroute you LHR-EDI or LHR-GLA but then you would still need to hire a car and there is only 1 flight on Christmas day to EDI ( 0950) and GLA ( 0735) which probably will not tie in with your arrival from the USA ( unless it is a very early arrival to LHR)

Regards

TBS
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Seems that Megabus have three coaches from Victoria on Christmas day - 09:30, 16:30 and 22:00
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I was going to suggest , get BA or your ticker issuer to reroute you LHR-EDI or LHR-GLA but then you would still need to hire a car and there is only 1 flight on Christmas day to EDI ( 0950) and GLA ( 0735) which probably will not tie in with your arrival from the USA ( unless it is a very early arrival to LHR)

Regards

TBS
I could make the EDI flight but then how to get home from there? It's still 2hrs drive.

Originally Posted by polemi
Seems that Megabus have three coaches from Victoria on Christmas day - 09:30, 16:30 and 22:00
Won't make the 0930 and if I take the 1630 then I miss the full Christmas day.

Can I ask BA to pay for my fuel and parking if I take my car?
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by onlysuites
What they will offer is the EDI rebooking or a hotel in LHR. They may allow car hire or parking as a gesture, claimed after travel, but I wouldn't assume you will get it for sure. They may look at rebooking options to arrive back in the UK on Christmas Eve instead. They may also contribute £50 for the EDI-NCL taxi fare, I can see it may be a bit cheaper than the car parking if pre-booked.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
You can ask but it's unlikely to be successful in the first instance. Are you prepared to go all the way to MCOL?
Old Nov 21, 2021, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alex67500
You can ask but it's unlikely to be successful in the first instance. Are you prepared to go all the way to MCOL?
Not worth the time and effort for £300. Just want to get home for Christmas day and I am quite frustrated that BA decided to cancel a flight so late on. I would have booked KLM otherwise as they can get me home for Christmas day but now no availability.

Flying to EDI and getting a taxi home is an option. Will they allow that? But a 130 mile Taxi on Christmas day will set them back more than £50. I would say more like £300-400.
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just spoke to Edinburgh airport taxis and they quoted me £580 as its 1.5 fare on Christmas day.
SxMan likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 5:39 am

How about a one-way car hire from EDI, or even collection by a family member?
ianwall likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Exec Club (Gold)
BA cap taxis at £50 in my experience and they generally refuse car hire costs flat out. Car parking they may cover with a protracted flight but your estimated fuel costs will also be a 'no can do'.

To get the taxi cost covered you are almost certainly looking at MCOL. BA may very well defend the claim at such a high level and there has to be a level of reasonableness if you want to be certain of winning. Has anything at all been offered in terms of rerouting? I'm almost certain their preference is going to be to get you into LHR as early as possible and put you on a National Express coach at T5. They are not going to compensate you for missing Christmas day unfortunately, just get you to your final destination as reasonably as practicable following the cancellation. A judge may agree a £50 coach more appropriate than £580 cab even if you get there a few hours later. Its the same reason you can't reroute by private jet or charter a helicopter. Would capping the cost at the hotel room they owe you under duty of care until the next available flight be reasonable?

All of this will be further complicated by Cathy being involved as your travel agent and party to any court claim you bring.

Personally I would accept that by departing the USA on the 24th there is always going to the potential for issues on 25th itself with very limited back up travel options and those which are available will be expensive. If you can drive either by one way hire car or your own do it and try to get something back off them but I would expect a fight and to only be paid out on for what I have a receipt for. I wouldn't have the stomach to pay a cab driver nearly £600 and take BA to court to try and win it back again. Minimise your losses.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RGS5526
How about a one-way car hire from EDI, or even collection by a family member?
But my question is would BA pay for that? If not it doesn't make sense for me as driving LHRt to Newcastle would be quicker. 4.5hrs non stop rather than via EDI and then 2.5hrs drive.

I guess my question is do I have any legal rights or can they insist on putting me in a hotel for 24hrs on Christmas day and then a flight the next day.

Also no flights available on the 23rd on my routing. Sold out solid! 22d also has me 24hrs in LHR due to flights being sold out.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:28 am

For me - I would drive to LHR, leave the car and know I am going to get home on Christmas Day. Or get a Just Park spot cheaper and a local taxi to/from said spot.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:37 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
Just ask for a refund and book KLM or someone else who has a better schedule to suit your needs?
Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
But my question is would BA pay for that? If not it doesn't make sense for me as driving LHRt to Newcastle would be quicker. 4.5hrs non stop rather than via EDI and then 2.5hrs drive.

I guess my question is do I have any legal rights or can they insist on putting me in a hotel for 24hrs on Christmas day and then a flight the next day.

Also no flights available on the 23rd on my routing. Sold out solid! 22d also has me 24hrs in LHR due to flights being sold out.
AFAIK the only legal right you have at this stage is to get your money back if you are not happy with the alternatives BA offer

The lack of alternative travel options in the UK on Christmas day and boxing day are why I never plan travel in the UK on christmas day or boxing day other than in my own car
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 6:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Leave your car in EDI? Parking there is a lot cheaper than London, even if it involves driving to EDI before your trip, and taking the train back to Newcastle ahead of your travels to Asia.
ezefllying and pacenotes like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.