Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cheapest Departure Regions in Europe for Reduced YQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2021, 2:14 am
Original Poster

LHR-YVR is $509 in taxes and fees, but DUB-LHR-YVR is $250 in taxes and fees. What other regions in Europe have reduced YQ like this?
Old Nov 13, 2021, 2:21 am

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
Everywhere apart from UK
Old Nov 13, 2021, 2:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by yerffej201
LHR-YVR is $509 in taxes and fees, but DUB-LHR-YVR is $250 in taxes and fees. What other regions in Europe have reduced YQ like this?
It’s not the YQ that’s the main differentiator but APD - the UK departure tax, that is £180 for all cabins above economy. APD is not payable by those connecting from outside the UK (and certain other airports).
Old Nov 13, 2021, 2:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
That difference in you example sounds more like APD rather than any YQ from the carrier, so starting outside the UK or at INV/JER will mean you don't pay it. APD at the moment is £180 for any cabin above Y, and going up to £185 from next April.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by flipper118
Everywhere apart from UK
Well, yes and no. As Tobias UK rightly mentions, what the OP is complaining about is the Government's levied APD and not YQ. APD is UK-specific (and not even entirely UK-wide as it excludes some specific airports), but a number of countries also levy specific taxes on departures including Italy, Norway, Germany and France. Neither is as high as the UK APD (indeed, not nearly), but at the risk of stating a truism, it is more than departing from countries which levy no such tax at all.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 9:06 am
Original Poster

I’m not referring to APD; I’m aware of that. For DUB carrier imposed surcharges is $173. For LHR carrier imposed surcharges is $267.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
The surcharges are also lower if you start your journey from Scandinavia. Depending on currency fluctuations, either CPH or OSL can be lower (but I think Norway is still closed right now).
Old Nov 13, 2021, 11:00 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
The surcharges are also lower if you start your journey from Scandinavia. Depending on currency fluctuations, either CPH or OSL can be lower (but I think Norway is still closed right now).
Norway has been open for a while now, proof of vaccination is required on entry and it feels very strange not having to wear a mask.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yes, APD is a factor, but there are also varying levels of YQ depending on where you start. Surprise, surprise... countries known for lower airfares also generally have lower YQ and/or lower departure taxes... So the usual ex-EU suspects for TP runs or Qatar cheapies...

DUB, CPH, OST, ARN, SOF, MAD, BCN, MXP, etc.

Of course, this is mostly relevant when spending AA or AS miles, since the extra Avios charged for the connection eats into much of the $ savings...
Old Nov 14, 2021, 2:55 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Also worth bearing in mind that the YQ if you redeem through Iberia instead is often far lower (sometimes the number of Avios is also lower). A friend saved hundreds by moving Avios to his IB account and booking MAD-SJO in business, instead of doing it with BA.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frb98mf
Also worth bearing in mind that the YQ if you redeem through Iberia instead is often far lower (sometimes the number of Avios is also lower). A friend saved hundreds by moving Avios to his IB account and booking MAD-SJO in business, instead of doing it with BA.
yes, iberia doesn't fly to yvr tho
Old Nov 17, 2021, 10:06 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Figured if you were prepared to add a potential positioning flight and dogleg anyway, you might consider going via Madrid and somewhere in the USA
Old Nov 17, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by KARFA
That difference in you example sounds more like APD rather than any YQ from the carrier, so starting outside the UK or at INV/JER will mean you don't pay it.
The JER tag is on my radar for my own planned JFK-LHR-JFK redemption next year - JER side trip to save ~$160pp before flying back to JFK? Why not?
Old Nov 17, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
I have found AMS to be the cheapest starting point for a number of my planned long haul trips, both east and westbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.