Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club World Guidance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ukchris
Thank you! I'll be waiting to see if BA play the "keep the gate a secret until boarding" game, it's not usually hard to figure out but they'll not be as familiar with such shennanigans!
They can always ask in the lounge at T5a, the B lounge is generally much quieter but the same food and drink in there.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
They fly out of T5 at 4:40pm
Sounds like the 215 to BOS? If they are returning from there, make sure they also make time for the lounge in BOS if they are on one of the evening departures. I dare say it is one of the best out-station BA lounges worldwide, though I haven’t been after it finally re-opened last month post-Covid.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Thank you! I'll be waiting to see if BA play the "keep the gate a secret until boarding" game, it's not usually hard to figure out but they'll not be as familiar with such shennanigans!
You may not get the gate number but the A/B/C location is usually known quite reliably fairly well ahead.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by flyingnomad
Sounds like the 215 to BOS? If they are returning from there, make sure they also make time for the lounge in BOS if they are on one of the evening departures. I dare say it is one of the best out-station BA lounges worldwide, though I haven’t been after it finally re-opened last month post-Covid.
They fly out together on BA215 at 16:40, for the return I ended up settling on BA238 which is an early morning departure, when things aren't time sensitive I think it's nice to enjoy the flight rather than just get on and go to sleep (or eat then get 3-4 hours of sleep), hopefully helps with jet lag as they'll get home late evening tired and should be about back to normal the next day. I haven't discussed yet what time to take them to BOS for the 7:30am departure, given Terminal E is smaller I think allowing for maybe an hour there would be plenty and they can eat and drink on the flight.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I'll be waiting to see if BA play the "keep the gate a secret until boarding" game
Whilst they will probably keep the specific gate "secret", it is likely that any agent will be happy to say from which concourse the plane will go as soon as they know. 3h40 early may be just a bit too early for them to have the info if they do not know where to look specifically, but equally it might be readily available too.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:43 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

ukchris - I hope they enjoy their 'first Club' experience!

I think it's always amazing how quick 2 or 3 hours go in using the lounges etc and personally, even on domestics, I like to planespot too and given they'll probably have to be at the gate 40 odd minutes before departure then it's not really a lot of time to fit in shopping, lounge and eating time, watching the views etc.

Safe and enjoyful travels to them both!
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Whilst they will probably keep the specific gate "secret", it is likely that any agent will be happy to say from which concourse the plane will go as soon as they know. 3h40 early may be just a bit too early for them to have the info if they do not know where to look specifically, but equally it might be readily available too.
I agree, I think one of the main lounges for a bit, a bit of shopping then off to the lounge at their departure concourse should work out.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

I agree.
All of the lounge agents have been willing to give out the likely concourse or gate number if asked in my experience. Some have even offered the information proactively when entering the lounge.

Regards
Tbs
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
for the return I ended up settling on BA238 … I haven't discussed yet what time to take them to BOS for the 7:30am departure, given Terminal E is smaller I think allowing for maybe an hour there would be plenty and they can eat and drink on the flight.
In that case, I would agree that it is entirely pointless to attempt to visit the lounge in BOS. On the rare occasion I have taken that morning flight, I have never bothered showing up more than 1hr:5mins before departure if I have a bag to check-in, or 45mins if HBO. Loads tend to be light on that flight, so check-in is usually quite easy.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingnomad
In that case, I would agree that it is entirely pointless to attempt to visit the lounge in BOS. On the rare occasion I have taken that morning flight, I have never bothered showing up more than 1hr:5mins before departure if I have a bag to check-in, or 45mins if HBO. Loads tend to be light on that flight, so check-in is usually quite easy.
Being a frequent flyer I think we tend to overlook the novelty of expedited check-in, just the whole elevated experience compared to the frustrations of coach travel with no status, I haven't even told my Mother she's flying Club yet, still deciding whether to let her know or for her to be surprised when she gets there!
endoman likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 2:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I was at a Galleries Club last Friday, drinks are back to self pouring (still Prosecco instead of Champagne) and there was hot food all afternoon. Only 3 options though.

I've spent there five hours
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
All of the lounge agents have been willing to give out the likely concourse or gate number if asked in my experience. Some have even offered the information proactively when entering the lounge.
Likewise, my record is strong here. But do be very aware that they can still change - my last flight had 4 gates assigned (across the airfield) within the space of 2 hours. And also that confusion is a possibility - the remote stands at T5B show as such in their system, but if they’re not awake (or haven’t memorised the stand numbers) they may not realise it’s likely to be A10.

None of this is a reason not to use the B lounge, just to be prepared (and allow enough time for) a brisk walk back through the tunnel.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I was at a Galleries Club last Friday, drinks are back to self pouring (still Prosecco instead of Champagne) and there was hot food all afternoon. Only 3 options though.

I've spent there five hours

Yes I was about to say the same thing! Back to the fun of pouring your own ridiculous mixed drinks...
Duck1981 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 4:10 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
I'm with you but really it's a difference between leaving home in the Midlands at 10am (or 11, 12) - if they aren't on their way they'll be sat staring at their suitcases instead waiting on the later time for a taxi. So we figured it allows for hold ups (just in case, M1, M25, M4 etc).
I'm with you there - having, a long time ago, missed a flight due to traffic on the M1. Many will say that that long in the lounge is too long, but you have to have wiggle room in your drive time, and if you don't end up using that on the road, then you might as well spend it in the lounge. It is better to be in the lounge wondering if you arrived unnecessarily early than be worrying on the drive. And with time to spare, nothing should feel rushed or traumatic at the airport.

They usually let on to eg 'expect B/C gates', even on the public screens, and you can usually get more specific info from the lounge agents. If they are confident of B/C gate departure, the B lounge is quite pleasant. But there is always a chance that it could be a bus from the A gates in which case getting back to A isn't straightforward - especially if they are not familiar with the airport.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:13 am

Programs: BA Bronze :(
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
I'm with you there - having, a long time ago, missed a flight due to traffic on the M1. Many will say that that long in the lounge is too long, but you have to have wiggle room in your drive time, and if you don't end up using that on the road, then you might as well spend it in the lounge. It is better to be in the lounge wondering if you arrived unnecessarily early than be worrying on the drive. And with time to spare, nothing should feel rushed or traumatic at the airport.

They usually let on to eg 'expect B/C gates', even on the public screens, and you can usually get more specific info from the lounge agents. If they are confident of B/C gate departure, the B lounge is quite pleasant. But there is always a chance that it could be a bus from the A gates in which case getting back to A isn't straightforward - especially if they are not familiar with the airport.
Couldn't agree more, having moved from being less than 30 mins to LHR to now around 2+ hours involving a trip around the M25 I'd rather sit down on the internet with a drink in hand instead of worrying about getting there on time in case there is traffic and/or issues at the airport.

While they're not going to win any awards anytime soon, I think the BA lounges are perfectly OK based on my pre-covid usage and usage last week. Certainly nowhere near as much fun as lounge hopping in T3 pre-COVID, but that's life!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.