Search

RTW Help\thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2021, 5:04 am
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
RTW Help\thoughts

Having jumped on the latest Amex offer and having a few avios left in the bank unused for the last couple of years, my thoughts are turning to what would be the best use (for me) for these avios.
I have enough now to get me from MAN to BKK and back, but the multi airline awards seem to let me go up to 25k miles in J for 240k avios and I should be able to get that many by the time the world opens up enough to make it a sensible proposition. That allows a lot of options.
Never been to Bangkok (other than the airport) so I'd like to go there. Seoul has also been on my list to visit. Since I'll be in the neighbourhood, another visit to Japan is a must. And to break up the rigours of flying, stops in Bali and Nassau seem like a good idea. So I ended up with...
LHR-BKK-KUL-DPS-KUL-ICN-TYO-SFO-MIA-NAS-LHR on a mix of BA, MH, CX, JL & AA
According to great circle mapper this is 25025 miles
Can anyone think of a way to route this better? I don't think I'm going to be able to get enough points to go up into the next bracket.
Another question is will BA add on the domestic feeder flights to a multi partner reward like this or would they need to go into the total mileage?
Ideally I'd start from MAN.

No rush on any of this as it will be over a year from now until I can travel, I'm just trying to think through ideas.

I am sure there is lots of relevant content already on the forum, but it would take quite a bit of rooting out. I'm hoping others may be able to recall other threads and post links if relevant.

The flights are about £6k to book in J for a cash fare (as it's a One World RTW itinerary) which seems pretty reasonable, but using 240k avios to save £5.5k also seems like a nice use of the avios.
Old Nov 6, 2021, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Hmmm, there are quite a few threads, the most recent I found was from 2017/18.
Multi-Carrier Reward Flights
That says you can only have 8 segments and 1 open jaw. (you can do up to 11 on the One World RTW cash tickets I think)
So my itinary may not be possible as a reward anyway.
The only way to get to ICN from BKK on one world seems to be via HKG which will be two segments I guess?
So missing out Bali still leaves me with 9 segments.

There does seem to be a lot of confusion about these multi-partner complex bookings with different people saying different things.
Well I'm confused anyway...
Old Nov 6, 2021, 3:39 pm

Why not route DPS/HKG/ICN on CX instead of visiting KUL twice?
Old Nov 6, 2021, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bullswood
Why not route DPS/HKG/ICN on CX instead of visiting KUL twice?
I can't find any direct flights DPS-HKG
It seems to want to take me through CGK on Garuda.
On the plus side
LHR-BKK-KUL-DPS-CGK-HKG-ICN-TYO-SFO-MIA-NAS-LHR is only 24858 miles so thank you. I don't think Garuda are in One World though? And there's still the problem with only allowing 8 segments...

I think I'll likely have to bin my grand ideas of beach holidays and do a city tour. Not bothering to go round the world to visit the Bahamas cuts the miles down quite a lot. A shame because I'd like to do a RTW at least once

Last edited by DeathSlam; Nov 6, 2021 at 3:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.