Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Same fare class (I) but big difference in fare changing inbound

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ*G BA GGL/CCR

Hello Peeps,

I feel I should know this but would appreciate your input. My original ticket was CDG-LHR-CPT-LHR-CDG in CW (i) the whole way. BA then cancelled the CDG-LHR flight, so I rerouted it to be LHR-CPT-LHR-CDG (for free as within 300 miles it seems). I'm now trying to change the date by two days on the CPT-LHR-CDG inbound. There is (i) class availability but the fare quote to change it is £500 (including COVID no change fee). That seems excessive given same discounted fare class availability. Is this normal? I get that pricing is dynamic but normally would expect the difference when the same discounted fare class is available to be minimal. I also understand that when you change the outbound, the pricing resets to current market pricing for the whole ticket, but not when you just change the inbound. Is this correct?
Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by SQjunkie
Hello Peeps,

I feel I should know this but would appreciate your input. My original ticket was CDG-LHR-CPT-LHR-CDG in CW (i) the whole way. BA then cancelled the CDG-LHR flight, so I rerouted it to be LHR-CPT-LHR-CDG (for free as within 300 miles it seems). I'm now trying to change the date by two days on the CPT-LHR-CDG inbound. There is (i) class availability but the fare quote to change it is £500 (including COVID no change fee). That seems excessive given same discounted fare class availability. Is this normal? I get that pricing is dynamic but normally would expect the difference when the same discounted fare class is available to be minimal. I also understand that when you change the outbound, the pricing resets to current market pricing for the whole ticket, but not when you just change the inbound. Is this correct?
A couple of points. Just because a booking class is available doesnt mean there is a valid fare depending what you want to book. There are various fare conditions such as advance purchase and stopover rules to mention a few. There are also dual inventory fares so even if I class is avail there can be lots more I class fares.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
In my knowledge if you haven’t started the ticket then it’s current maker price if you flew a segment then it’s historical. Normally the whole ticket needs to be repriced. But as before there could be many other reasons.
next time you call ask the calculations in details. The agent should able to explain why do you need to pay £500 and exactly what is going on.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Yes, the change of date is your choice, therefore it reprices and you pay more. This is how it has always been.

I have a DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX flight coming up and it's an overnight connection on the origin from DUB-LHR. I called to make it the next morning to connect with the flight I am taking better, and it was £1,000 to make the change. Of course, later on the LHR-JFK was cancelled so I was able to move it then along with that flight for nothing.

You'll just have to hope for a cancelled sector to make the change, otherwise pay, or leave it as is.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
A guess:

The ticket was originally priced using CDG-CPT-CDG fares. I would typically expect these to be lower than LHR-CPT-LHR fares. Similarly a LHR-CPT-CDG ticket would have been more expensive than a CDG-CPT-CDG ticket.

When the ticket was invol rerouted LHR-CPT-CDG, no add collect was due, even though the new LHR-CPT-CDG routing was more expensive than the fares originally paid. BA basically allowed you a more expensive trip for the original price.

If you change only the inbound half of a ticket, the BA rule is typically that "the itinerary must be re-priced using historical fares in effect on the previous ticketing date or using current fares in effect on the date the ticket is reissued - whichever is lower". Using historical fares usually means that there is little if any fare difference if the date change is small (so you're not jumping between very different seasons or hitting advance purchase etc restrictions).

On the OP's ticket, now that a vol change is being attempted for the inbound half of the ticket, the reprice may be using historical fares in accordance with the rules, but now it has to be historical LHR-CPT-CDG fares. Hence there is now a fare difference, even though BA was basically swallowing that when the first change / reroute was invol.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:09 pm

Globaliser: Yes, but quite apart from the more expensive/APD liable non-Eu origin, isn't the "historical fare" basis for re-pricing usually only applicable after the outbound has actually been flown? Prior to departure (which I assume is the situation here), re-pricing is usually at currently available prices.
i.e. the OP may be better off changing after they get to CPT (assuming "i" fares are still available).
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:47 pm

Just a guess but would I be right in thinking you originally purchased your CDG-CPT ticket during a sale? I've where it was excessively cheaper to begin the journey at CDG than it was to start the journey at LHR?

As others have eluded although date changes are permitted without penalty under book with confidence, you're liable for any fare difference. The underlying I class fare you purchased needs to be recalculated at todays I class fare. That is where I'm guessing the differential is coming into play. You'd only be eligible for a waiver of that fare differential if either of the booked CPT-LON-CDG flights were to cancel or be significantly re timed.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Nov 4, 2021 at 7:52 pm
Old Nov 5, 2021, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Am I right in thinking the inbound can be changed once the itinerary has as started and repriced using historical fares ?
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
A guess:

The ticket was originally priced using CDG-CPT-CDG fares. I would typically expect these to be lower than LHR-CPT-LHR fares. Similarly a LHR-CPT-CDG ticket would have been more expensive than a CDG-CPT-CDG ticket.

When the ticket was invol rerouted LHR-CPT-CDG, no add collect was due, even though the new LHR-CPT-CDG routing was more expensive than the fares originally paid. BA basically allowed you a more expensive trip for the original price.

If you change only the inbound half of a ticket, the BA rule is typically that "the itinerary must be re-priced using historical fares in effect on the previous ticketing date or using current fares in effect on the date the ticket is reissued - whichever is lower". Using historical fares usually means that there is little if any fare difference if the date change is small (so you're not jumping between very different seasons or hitting advance purchase etc restrictions).

On the OP's ticket, now that a vol change is being attempted for the inbound half of the ticket, the reprice may be using historical fares in accordance with the rules, but now it has to be historical LHR-CPT-CDG fares. Hence there is now a fare difference, even though BA was basically swallowing that when the first change / reroute was invol.
I think you have hit the nail on the head Globaliser and this is what I suspect happened. The agent told me that if I’m only changing the inbound (even if outbound not flown), it should reprice using historical fares (compared to changing the outbound which would then reprice at market). So presumably they repriced using historic fares but the difference was now the London origin vs the CDG origin.

Hmmm. Suppose I just have to suck it up.

Update: just spoke to GGL team and they confirmed that this is indeed what happened. It reprices using historic but with London as fare origin rather than CDG hence the difference.
Globaliser likes this.

Last edited by SQjunkie; Nov 5, 2021 at 6:45 am
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When is the flight ? Presumably if there's another good deal that comes along, cancel to voucher and rebook your preferred dates
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
When is the flight ? Presumably if there's another good deal that comes along, cancel to voucher and rebook your preferred dates
Good idea. Will check. I think I got a good deal though. But worth me having a quick look.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good idea. Will check. I think I got a good deal though. But worth me having a quick look.
If you don't mind the EU start, AMS-CPT has (in the past!) often been from £1,200
Old Nov 9, 2021, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Bullswood
Globaliser: Yes, but quite apart from the more expensive/APD liable non-Eu origin, isn't the "historical fare" basis for re-pricing usually only applicable after the outbound has actually been flown? Prior to departure (which I assume is the situation here), re-pricing is usually at currently available prices.
No, historical fares can be used before departure too, if the first fare component (typically the outbound half of the ticket) is not changed (and also if there's an upgrade alone on the first fare component). Here's a typical example for a change to the inbound half:
--- REPRICING CONDITIONS ---
REPRICE USING ANY FARE TYPE EXCEPT ERU AND EOU.
A. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED.
B. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN CHANGES ARE TO BOOKING CODE ONLY IN THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT AND RESULT IN A HIGHER FARE THE ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR USING CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED - WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
C. BEFORE DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY WHEN THERE ARE NO CHANGES TO THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT BUT OTHER FARE COMPONENTS ARE CHANGED THE ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE OR USING CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED- WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
D. AFTER DEPARTURE OF JOURNEY THE ITINERARY MUST BE RE-PRICED USING HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
E. AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE JOURNEY THE ITINERARY MAY BE RE-PRICED USING CURRENTLY TICKETED FARE PROVIDED THERE ARE NO CHANGES TO FLIGHT NUMBERS AND TRAVEL DATES. OTHERWISE HISTORICAL FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE MUST BE USED.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.