Wiki Posts
Search

API data on bookings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2021, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
API data on bookings

I have been checking through my bookings and have noticed that for my US trips (and only US trips) MMB is showing API to be incomplete. On opening the API section, all the required data is in there. The only thing I can think of is that my ESTA is invalid. I renewed my ESTA last September when my passport was renewed so it should still be valid until September 2022. I have heard on here that the US authorities have been cancelling ESTAs. Was this a global cancellation during the pandemic travel ban, and will I need to apply for a new ESTA.
mrdisco likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I don’t think ESTA impacts on your API collection?
Old Oct 31, 2021, 7:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There are quite a lot of reports of this happening, going back years, also a loop version where you update the API and save it, it says you have completed the API, but then it refreshes saying "incomplete". It's not something I have personally seen (though I'm a visa user for the USA, and also have a Known Traveler ID) but the reports are regular enough to make me think there is some obscure IT issue in there which no-one has managed to nail down (e.g. using the long form ZIP rather than the short form ZIP - BA wants the short version). But the good news is that I don't think we've seen anyone actually have any travel problem in this area, moreover there is a sweep mechanism when you are within 72 hours of departure which gives the DHS your API - this must work overall, since when once in a while the interface goes down we do see reports on that, along usually with a report that the outage is fixed an hour or two later.
mrdisco, andrewr1985 and m8_rotate like this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
This is also happening me with an upcoming JFK booking - very annoying!
Old Oct 31, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Same issue here with a US booking. Was completely filled but not marked as incomplete. After filling it in again and saving it, its reports as missing again. But i did get an email confirming that the API was updated.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
I've had this on every US booking since 2017 with BA, never able to resolve it and has meant checking in at the airport. I travel on an ESTA, UK passport, and also have Global Entry and a DHS TRIP ID. None of this seems to make any difference, when checking in I've asked the desk staff about why I cannot add my API details online and get a "don't know, nothing is wrong" answer
Old Oct 31, 2021, 9:05 am

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
We ( Mrs. and I ) have four JFK bookings between us, all looked good and complete until a day or two ago, and now they all have the red incomplete flag, though everything is there when looking into it.

I put it down to the irregular but frequent BA IT upsets.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I noticed this on my US booking last night and was going to raise it on FT too. The incomplete message wasn’t there a few weeks ago when I last went into the US flights (first US flight isn’t until January).

I’ve never had this before.

All the information is complete. Only outstanding are the optional fields minus Known Traveller Number which I have.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 10:53 am

I had this issue the other day on our upcoming flights to EWR - API shows as incomplete yet when I click through, everything is complete.

We both have UK passports, ESTAs renewed in the summer, I have a redress control number, all completed. Another BA IT mystery.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by stefan_nl
Same issue here with a US booking. Was completely filled but not marked as incomplete. After filling it in again and saving it, its reports as missing again. But i did get an email confirming that the API was updated.
I have had exactly the same experience. I will leave it for now. As CWS states, it doesn’t seem to cause an issue.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
It is not ESTA related. I have a green card, so don’t require an ESTA and I’m still seeing the error on a booking for next March. I’ve never had the issue prior to this particular booking
Old Oct 31, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC
Same experience here - previously complete but now showing as incomplete. I go to fill in the info and save it, then recheck MMB it still says incomplete - but has remembered some data (first names and US address).

All the data, however, is visible within MMB on the mobile app 🤷‍♂️

Whilst rubbish IT, I’m not too worried about it at the moment; still 10 days before I travel and I assumed the data collected was changing slightly to accommodate re-opening - but who knows!

Last edited by Hydebear; Oct 31, 2021 at 1:26 pm
Old Oct 31, 2021, 1:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Hydebear
Whilst rubbish IT, I’m not too worried about it at the moment; still 10 days before I travel and I assumed the data collected was changing slightly to accommodate re-opening.
I've mentioned this in the main thread in the Coronavirus thread, but it looks like passengers need to sign an attestation form (2 of them actually) to confirm test and vaccination status. I suspect CBP will be OK with this being filled in on the aircraft, but I imagine BA will want to see this no later than the gate. There is a link to getting this form there, but I suspect airlines are going to link it to passengers via other routes and/or VeriFLY.
Hydebear and OGG flyer like this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 1:48 pm

Same issue here for a flight to Boston later on in November and we have valid ESTAs. Have tried on several occasions over several days to complete the API information requested and the fields show up as blank apart from the hotel address section which is correct. I know I had completed this before and it had previously registered ok. When the information is updated and submitted, the response says information complete but when you sign in again is says incomplete and the fields blank. I've sent BA a message and waiting to hear back from them. Interestingly when I later checked via the mobile app, the headline says API information incomplete but the fields below say completed. Just another level of travel stress that one could do without right now, but glad its not just me
kanderson1965 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Me Too! Had completed API a week or so ago, now flagged as Red. All my Passport Info had gone, although the rest was still there. Reloaded data, submitted OK, returned to MMB and … flagged again! I have 4 months before travel, so relaxed.

However, also tried to change seat assignments … and that’s broken again! Bloody ba.com. ⁉️

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.