Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Madrid Back to Back

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A* Gold (Avianca Brazil)
Madrid Back to Back

Having got out of the habit or travelling in the past 18 months (wonder why??) I have forgotten whether it’s possible to do a back to back flying to Madrid and getting back onto the same aircraft without having to clear immigration - I think that it is but cannot recall with certainty.

Could anyone refresh my memory?
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
it is possible. assuming this is an A380 inspired question you should arrive & depart in to T4S, so just follow the signs to connections where you have a security check only.

you need to ensure you are checked in and have your return bp before you head out there - not quite as trivial an issue these days unfortunately. i think you should be able to open up olci if using verifly i believe, but it's not guaranteed.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

actually it’s about flying to Madrid and back in one evening and then continuing the flight to JNB the following evening.

MAD JNB return seemed to be the cheapest option in Club

there would be 50 mins between the flight arriving and departing back to LHR
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by silverfc
actually it’s about flying to Madrid and back in one evening and then continuing the flight to JNB the following evening.

MAD JNB return seemed to be the cheapest option in Club

there would be 50 mins between the flight arriving and departing back to LHR
If arriving at 4S without checked baggage and you have an onward boarding pass MAD-LHR on the same aircraft that took you there, you can complete transit security within 4S that'll deposit you back in the departures level in all of about 15 minutes from having disembarked. If arriving T4 then it's even quicker (no security to re-process). The only flights that have taken me to/from T4 however have been Iberia short haul ones..... All my BA experiences have been exclusively 4S.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
And the "Little Britain" area in T4 is no longer a thing - all non-Schengen flights now depart from T4S regardless of airline (assuming they are in T4 to begin with, of course).

Not sure whether this is temporary or not (the passport control booths are still present, although unmanned), but sufficient changes in the area have been made that it doesn't seem like a short-term thing.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:48 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Keeping with the Spanish queries, can anybody comment on BCN as a b2b in the present climate? It is rated good in the B2B thread and just involves a bit of a walk, but curious if that is still the case?

Pilot37
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I think the key thing to remember at the moment is the B2B will always carry extra risk because you may find online check-in disabled even if it worked for you on a previous trip. I would do the daytrip approach if there's multiple flights (i.e. take one that's earlier in the day so if OLCI doesn't work you have time to sort it out) or the night before if that's not possible
silverfc, orbitmic and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 6:49 am
Original Poster

All many thanks - a night stop and a day working in an airport hotel / IB lounge may be the better bet!!
CaroFos likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
You should be able to get both boarding passes either OLCI or at a check-in desk for a day-return.

BCN is dead simple, a not-too-long walk to the transit security, just before passport control, and you will back at the non-Schengen gates.
MAD takes a little longer, but very easy as well.
Pilot37 and silverfc like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ubiest
You should be able to get both boarding passes either OLCI or at a check-in desk for a day-return.

BCN is dead simple, a not-too-long walk to the transit security, just before passport control, and you will back at the non-Schengen gates.
MAD takes a little longer, but very easy as well.
Is this still the same post covid as there’s going to be a need to check PLF and day 2 tests and vaccination status which some airports still do at check in especially if verify is having a wobble.

Whilst travel now is certainly a lot better than it has been any country could impose new rules/restrictions at short notice especially if covid spikes anywhere in the winter.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
it is possible. assuming this is an A380 inspired question you should arrive & depart in to T4S, so just follow the signs to connections where you have a security check only.

you need to ensure you are checked in and have your return bp before you head out there - not quite as trivial an issue these days unfortunately. i think you should be able to open up olci if using verifly i believe, but it's not guaranteed.
On the A380 MAD flights, with a MAD landing time of 1820 & departure of 1955 surely enough time for a lounge visit with BP in hand - right ?
silverfc likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
On the A380 MAD flights, with a MAD landing time of 1820 & departure of 1955 surely enough time for a lounge visit with BP in hand - right ?
yes absolutely - if you can check in and get the bp.
ubiest and THEOBCMAN like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Is this still the same post covid as there’s going to be a need to check PLF and day 2 tests and vaccination status which some airports still do at check in especially if verify is having a wobble.

Whilst travel now is certainly a lot better than it has been any country could impose new rules/restrictions at short notice especially if covid spikes anywhere in the winter.
Last week did two same-day returns on BA BCN-LHR-BCN (not B2B mind you), uploaded the docs into MMB, did not use VeriFLY.
Check-in desk checked both UK and ES docs were correct and issued boarding passes for outbound and return.

No reason why LHR can’t do the same, as long as all the paperwork is in place.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by ubiest
Last week did two same-day returns on BA BCN-LHR-BCN (not B2B mind you), uploaded the docs into MMB, did not use VeriFLY./
Check-in desk checked both UK and ES docs were correct and issued boarding passes for outbound and return.

No reason why LHR can’t do the same, as long as all the paperwork is in place.
The fact that LHR wouldn’t be familiar with UK PLF arrivals regulations could be a reason.

OLCI has been disabled on a lot of itineraries TO the UK.

A BCN-LHR-BCN journey is not the same as LHR-BCN-LHR so I guess it’s still ‘buyer beware’ on B2B at the moment due to admin and paperwork requirements being checked.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Agree 100%. Rules can and do change, often with little notice so just know that what seems 'dead easy' today may just work entirely differently in a month or two.
KeaneJohn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.