Wiki Posts
Search

What’s the point of boarding group 1?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2021, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
What’s the point of boarding group 1?

Not sure if I’ve just been unlucky but every single flight I’ve taken in the last 18 months going into LHR has always called groups 1&2 or groups 1,2&3 at the same time for boarding. So why do BA even bother with the differentiation? On a recent flight from YYZ-LHR half the plane seemed to be 1,2 or 3!
Calchas and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Yes, the Group boarding system appears no longer fit for purpose.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I think this was commented on when groups were first introduced. There's so many in Group 1 on UK domestic routes that it really is a mockery at key commuting times.

I really liked the boarding by rows that they were doing over the past year and I struggle to see why boarding by group is more efficient (hopefully a staffer can explain!).
atcer28 and SxMan like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I thought of that last weekend going to MUC and back. It was especially bad in MUC because there were no tensa barriers so it was a bit of a scrum
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I think this was commented on when groups were first introduced. There's so many in Group 1 on UK domestic routes that it really is a mockery at key commuting times.

I really liked the boarding by rows that they were doing over the past year and I struggle to see why boarding by group is more efficient (hopefully a staffer can explain!).
it was never introduced to improve efficiency in boarding BA did it to reflect and ‘reward’ the commercial value of the passenger to the airline/IAG. One such example is how if you had a standard economy ticket in SH you would be in group 4, but if you buy a hand baggage only fare you would be out into boarding group 5.

as has been touched on, certain flights, especially some domestic services or those with big CE cabins or a lot of card holders. Some flights it appears Like everyone is boarding in 1/2 but that is just the demographic of certain flights.

as to how groups are called for boarding, unless there has been a change behind the scenes, group 1 and 2 should not be called at the same time.
MatJarosz likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
One thing US airlines have got right is the gate arrangement for boarding (if one believes in the whole thing of segregated boarding.). Pre-boarding for top elites, then clear tense-barriered 1/2/3/4/5. An additional benefit is that there is a lane for you to go through if your group has already boarded so you don't appear to be jumping the queue.

It irritates me when, for example, LH and LX call groups 1 and 2 together, and a huge scrum ensues that includes plenty of people outside of these groups.
Synapseturquoise and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Flew LCY-DUB-LHR last week, Group 1 called separately for boarding on both flights, although that is indeed very rare and most of the time it seems to be lumped together with 2 and 3. You would think it would be a useful tool to help reduce congestion at the gate in these Covid times, but clearly not.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
One thing US airlines have got right is the gate arrangement for boarding (if one believes in the whole thing of segregated boarding.). Pre-boarding for top elites, then clear tense-barriered 1/2/3/4/5. An additional benefit is that there is a lane for you to go through if your group has already boarded so you don't appear to be jumping the queue.

It irritates me when, for example, LH and LX call groups 1 and 2 together, and a huge scrum ensues that includes plenty of people outside of these groups.
BA used to have separate lanes setup, but it seems these were removed during the pandemic and not put back again.
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Another thing that isn't done nearly enough is sending people back to the scrum if they try to board outside their group, whether this is done intentionally or not. Again, the segregated lines setup is useful for this because it trains people into understanding that there is a process to follow.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
Nothing to do with efficiency and all to do with making Gold, Silver, Bronze, First, Club, Premium Economy feeling valued and treasured.
JessicaB and ewoo like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm sure on my last trip from LGW, boarding groups were called separately. I have another trip from there next week so I'll see if anything changes.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by oceanscape
Not sure if I’ve just been unlucky but every single flight I’ve taken in the last 18 months going into LHR has always called groups 1&2 or groups 1,2&3 at the same time for boarding. So why do BA even bother with the differentiation? On a recent flight from YYZ-LHR half the plane seemed to be 1,2 or 3!
There is no point, you can console yourself knowing that you have Priority baggage tags....
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:36 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Flight on Tuesday morning (full flight) ex LHR called Groups 1&2 together. I am used to this at MAN but not LHR.

It's not what the marketing promises...
Old Sep 30, 2021, 4:51 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Nothing to do with efficiency and all to do with making Gold, Silver, Bronze, First, Club, Premium Economy feeling valued and treasured.
And giving them first dibs on 'their' overheads above their seats...
Old Sep 30, 2021, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
Originally Posted by bmiStar
There is no point, you can console yourself knowing that you have Priority baggage tags....
Well of course those tags don't work more often than not. At some airports it seems as if the 'priority' luggage is offloaded last. It certainly seems pot luck and hit and miss. Can anyone identify airports where this is done well? There are plenty where it isn't done well....or simply doesn't happen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.