Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How bad are connecting flights at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:01 am
Original Poster

How bad are connecting flights at LHR

I will be transiting LHR on Monday with a four hour layover. One ward to BCN(normally leaves from the A gates at 5) Terminal 5 to Terminal 5. All I hear are horror stories about entry into the UK, but what should I expect making a connecting flight?
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Where will you be arriving from, and when? Even in the most extreme cases, four hours is plenty.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Where will you be arriving from, and when? Even in the most extreme cases, four hours is plenty.
As per the other threads, OP is coming in from MIA on BA Club World and onwards to Barcelona
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes the horror stories won't apply to you. You just need to have a bp check and security, and no reason to think it will take any longer than normal in your case.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Where will you be arriving from, and when?
October 3 MIA-LHR. 20:45. Arrive 10:25(oct 4)#208
October 4 LHR-BCN. 14:20-17:30#480

First time in two years for international travel am a little rusty
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
As per the other threads, OP is coming in from MIA on BA Club World and onwards to Barcelona
I apologize for so many posts, but this forum is extremely helpful. We used to transit LHR once a year for a cruise in the MED, but not having done this in such a long time, it helps to have people’s opinions .
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wesport
I apologize for so many posts, but this forum is extremely helpful. We used to transit LHR once a year for a cruise in the MED, but not having done this in such a long time, it helps to have people’s opinions .
No need to apologise as I mentioned a few days ago, it would be very appreciated if you do a quick review of the experience to close the circle on this trip and let us know how it went.
Truthmonkey likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 12:34 pm

4hrs is plenty time to transit at LHR. My previous trip had a 2hr transit and it was plenty of time to go through security (flight arrived around 9am).
There are lots of signage along the way to guide you.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I will be transiting LHR on Monday with a four hour layover. One ward to BCN(normally leaves from the A gates at 5) Terminal 5 to Terminal 5. All I hear are horror stories about entry into the UK, but what should I expect making a connecting flight?
if you are on one ticket you will have no reason to enter the UK

you will have to re clear security after the transfer area check the boarding pass for your 2nd flight

you should be in the departure area within about 45 minues from disembarking
Old Sep 29, 2021, 7:06 pm

The last transit I did at the end of July was about 20 minutes from the door opening to the Concorde terrace. I was worried about the horror stories, but definitely for no reason!
Old Sep 29, 2021, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
if you are on one ticket you will have no reason to enter the UK

you will have to re clear security after the transfer area check the boarding pass for your 2nd flight

you should be in the departure area within about 45 minues from disembarking
Sounds good. As stated before first time in two years to begin flying international . Somewhat apprehensive. All the same reservation with BA.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rstruthe
The last transit I did at the end of July was about 20 minutes from the door opening to the Concorde terrace. I was worried about the horror stories, but definitely for no reason!
I watched the videos of immigration, and started to panic. Sounds like I will have time to relax in the lounge.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 9:57 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I watched the videos of immigration, and started to panic. Sounds like I will have time to relax in the lounge.
You will have lots of time to relax in the lounge. Enjoy!
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
You wouldn't need to clear immigration so you don't need to panic.
Just follow the purple signs for "Flight Connections" after arriving from your flight from MIA.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 1:08 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
today i did JFK-LHR connecting to ATH. arrived at LHR just past 6am, when i got to the flight connections point, i glanced at immigration as i passed and noted the egates were working and the queue was non-existent (the all other passports queue was a bit backed up).

anyhow, thru flight connections and up the escalator to security which had a minimal queue, and was sat here in the lounge by 645.

very easy today and doubt you'll experience any issues with a connection. its the need to go thru immigration that can be variable, which you will not do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.