Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I change my airport\booking if BA cancel flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2021, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

I don't fancy waiting on the phone lines so thought I'd ask here if anybody knows (hopefully!).

BA have cancelled our flight and moved us to a flight a day earlier. Is it possible that BA would allow us to completely rebook both outgoing and return flights so they go to a different airport in the county (I've read somewhere they would allow a move of airport 300 miles away but we're talking 400ish miles here). And the real question is whether they would do it without any extra payment\fees?

I'm guessing legally they don't have to as they've offered an alternative flight,albeit a day earlier and resulting in lost money for us in terms of accommodation\car hire.

In doing this, we are then able to keep to our original dates.

I can try calling again tomorrow but if I can get an answer here that would be great.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 1:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes they will up to around 350 miles if you stay within -3/+14 days.

However the policy was revised a few weeks ago and the change of gateway only applies strictly to the actual flights cancelled in the booking.

What specifically do you have in mind?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply.

So it was LHR-> ZAG 23/10. Returning ZAG -> LHR on 31/10

There's been about 4 time changes on the booking so far but then today they cancelled the return flight and moved it to 30/10

At the time, we booked that flight as it was the best price at the time. Looking on the BA website now, there's a flight

LHR -> DBV 23/10 Returning DBV -> LHR 31/10

That would be perfectly fine for us and allows us to keep to our original dates and fits in with accomodation stays. It's whether the distance is too great and whether they would allow us to change it at no penalty as current prices for that flight are expensive + some of our seats were booked on Avios.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by fowler23
Thanks for the quick reply.

So it was LHR-> ZAG 23/10. Returning ZAG -> LHR on 31/10

There's been about 4 time changes on the booking so far but then today they cancelled the return flight and moved it to 30/10

At the time, we booked that flight as it was the best price at the time. Looking on the BA website now, there's a flight

LHR -> DBV 23/10 Returning DBV -> LHR 31/10

That would be perfectly fine for us and allows us to keep to our original dates and fits in with accomodation stays. It's whether the distance is too great and whether they would allow us to change it at no penalty as current prices for that flight are expensive + some of our seats were booked on Avios.
It’s within the distance limit, I think it should be fine, worst case scenario as KARFA mentioned BA will only move return leg. I’ve changed both legs from SOF to ATH in August without any problems.
becks1 and fowler23 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 2:59 pm

In terms of the 300 mile rule, could that apply to the departure location as well as the destination.

For example, could LHR-ACE-LHR be changed to LHR-ACE-EDI (via LHR)?
Old Sep 22, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Yes, I had a SOF-USA trip where the LHR-SOF has been cancelled and they happily changed it to OTP-USA - and rearranged all of the other connecting flights in the booking to make it work with the OTP timings - so it can be done.

The agent was being quite precise about the distance though as he initially mentioned IST as a starting point but then said it was too far. Looking at google, SOF-IST is about 318 miles. Not sure what would happen if there was no BA destination within 300 miles however.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Voda_boy
In terms of the 300 mile rule, could that apply to the departure location as well as the destination.

I suppose direct flights only, I could be wrong.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 3:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Voda_boy

I don't believe this is allowed since it's an extra gateway not a changed gateway. Doubtless some people will find themselves able to do this, but if an agent declines to do this then you have no recourse. That said there are no change fees so it may be the extra cost won't be high, particularly if the flight is changed after one sector is flown.
Voda_boy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.