Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Family access to lounge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2021, 11:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
I once walked into the First lounge at ORD when the desk was unmanned. Before sentencing me, I did have a ticket for access. I walked out as there were no seats. Far more relaxing in the Business lounge.

I returned from YYZ this week. Last to board was a family of 3 in 1E and 1F. The third was a toddler in arms. There goes the neighbourhood a good portion of the front cabin (including me) thought. Nope - nothing of the sort. Family was quiet as a mouse. Far quieter than the mouth breather just behind me.
Exactly so - I had the same heading down to ALC the other day. We swapped our seats 1A and C to a family where Papa was in 1D and Mama and their little boy were in 2A and C. You would not have known that he was aboard until nearly the end when he got a bit tearful and fretful - mostly tiredness I would think - the Mother redoubled her efforts to calm him down with success. It just shows that one should never generalise.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:00 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
It always amuses me how some people who either aren’t fortunate enough to have children, or those who take exception to children (seemingly forgetting that they were once a child) have an over-entitled sense of self-importance above those with children.

It reminds me of when we were returning home from Stockholm around 4 years ago with our 2 boys (one 4yrs and the other 10months of age). 1A, 1C and 1F, with 1D staying empty. The boys were extremely quiet all flight except for the little one who cried on descent as his ears were probably blocked. A man in his 70-80s dressed in tweed came upto my wife, stood in the recess in front of 1D and told her she shouldn’t bring a child that age on board.
A few words were exchanged. The CSM showed her support by carrying the little one for a walk down the plane and returned with a full bottle of champagne that she deposited in my wife’s carryon for her to enjoy later.

OP, we are almost certainly flying out of LHR T5 over half term and would be happy to guest 4 into GC if you still need help.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 12:57 pm

I think this is a case of this is how everything is done in Australia when flying Qantas and people
make an assumption that it's going to be the same policy that applies everywhere else in the world.

Equally I'm sure there will also be many people who are used to Business Class in Europe who purchase domestic First Class tickets in the US and wonder up to the lounge and get all shocked and horrified when they're turned away.

I believe it all falls under the category of cultural awareness (or in the OP's case unawareness). It's just a far better look from a personal brand perspective to accept the information when given and move on than to argue the toss. It is what it is ultimately - an overcrowded waiting room with some free drinks, not some some sort of airside Nirvana. Whether or not there are children is pretty irrelevant - 5 people and 3 eligible for access.... it's really as simple as that.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Sep 24, 2021 at 1:04 pm
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
It's just a far better look from a personal brand perspective to accept the information when given and move on than to argue the toss.
You can't eat personal brand. You can eat a bag of kettle crisps and sip some cheap champagne. I wouldn't hold asking against the OP. The chance of getting in without asking is 0, the chance with asking is marginally above 0.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jed
It always amuses me how some people who either aren’t fortunate enough to have children, or those who take exception to children (seemingly forgetting that they were once a child) have an over-entitled sense of self-importance above those with children.

It reminds me of when we were returning home from Stockholm around 4 years ago with our 2 boys (one 4yrs and the other 10months of age). 1A, 1C and 1F, with 1D staying empty. The boys were extremely quiet all flight except for the little one who cried on descent as his ears were probably blocked. A man in his 70-80s dressed in tweed came upto my wife, stood in the recess in front of 1D and told her she shouldn’t bring a child that age on board.
A few words were exchanged. The CSM showed her support by carrying the little one for a walk down the plane and returned with a full bottle of champagne that she deposited in my wife’s carryon for her to enjoy later.

OP, we are almost certainly flying out of LHR T5 over half term and would be happy to guest 4 into GC if you still need help.
Did some of those exchanged words begin with an F and an O? I think that’s the direction I would have taken, perhaps a little more politely.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jed
Many of us consider ourselves very fortunate not to have had children...
Old Sep 24, 2021, 3:33 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Did some of those exchanged words begin with an F and an O? I think that’s the direction I would have taken, perhaps a little more politely.

Apologies for going off topic…
The old man had his say.
Some tosser in around row 4 clapped (to this day we still speculate whether it was the old man’s seat mate or someone bitter that
1D was blocked by theoretical seating).
My wife then stood up at the front of the CE cabin (only 4-5 rows those days) and demanded to know who clapped.
The CSM then popped her head round from in front of the curtain and wondered what was going on.
It was quite theatrical.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
I didn’t find any definitive responses further up the thread.

I’m hoping to get access to the First lounge for myself, my wife, my son (age 4) and an infant (age 1). Will I be able to do this with my BA gold status (newly minted!) plus my AA executive platinum (OWE) status using each card for a different guest?

Thanks all for their input!
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
You didn’t say which airport, but I,ll assume LHR.

you won’t be able to use two cards in your name, either BA Gold or AA exec plat, but not both, this will give you and one guest access to First lounge, but not for 4 pax. However, sometimes, depending on time of day, lounge capacity etc, you MAY find that you will be allowed to enter with partner and two small children, but don’t be disappointed if refused. ( if travelling partner has any status, that could help). Good luck and enjoy the flights.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
You didn’t say which airport, but I,ll assume LHR.

you won’t be able to use two cards in your name, either BA Gold or AA exec plat, but not both, this will give you and one guest access to First lounge, but not for 4 pax. However, sometimes, depending on time of day, lounge capacity etc, you MAY find that you will be allowed to enter with partner and two small children, but don’t be disappointed if refused. ( if travelling partner has any status, that could help). Good luck and enjoy the flights.
Thanks! This is really helpful to know!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.