Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Iceland - no pre-departure docs needed?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Iceland - no pre-departure docs needed?

When we flew to Cyprus a couple of weeks back, BA wanted some documents uploaded which they then verified (the Cyprus travel registration, vaccine status etc.)
For my upcoming Iceland flight, this hasn't happened - is that correct? Do BA just not check that stuff for there and it's done by the Iceland authorities on arrival?
Old Sep 15, 2021, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by jowlymonster
When we flew to Cyprus a couple of weeks back, BA wanted some documents uploaded which they then verified (the Cyprus travel registration, vaccine status etc.)
For my upcoming Iceland flight, this hasn't happened - is that correct? Do BA just not check that stuff for there and it's done by the Iceland authorities on arrival?
Documents (vaccination and negative antigen test) are checked upon exiting customs hall in Iceland. You need to register your travel on Covid.is which will generate a barcode (that you can print or take an image on your camera phone).
icebird likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks @Peregrine415 - I've got the barcode, negative test and vaccine docs, so I guess I should be all good then
Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:35 am

I flew to Iceland 2 weeks ago, although on Icelandair. Here's what to expect from my experience:
1. OLCI might not work, at least it didn't on Icelandair. You need to go to a desk and show the barcode
2. At boarding you may be asked to show the barcode again.
3. On arrival, at passport control, you don't need to show anything (besides the passport!)
4. After baggage reclaim, as you exit the hall, there are a couple of guards who'll want to see your barcode
5. Between the baggage reclaim exit and the atrium where the car hire desks are there are a row of podiums with health officials. They'll check your barcode, zapping it with a reader, control your vaccination status and then on you go. You'll receive a text that all is clear.
6. I tested for Covid for my return flight at the clinic on Kleppsmýrarvegur. Booked for 1PM but figured it didn't hurt to come earlier, and had no issues being tested at 9AM. They use 2 swabs per nostril at the same time which was a bit painful, but results in less than 2 hours and the price is similar to a UK test.

Enjoy Iceland and if you can pop down at Geldingadalir for the volcano, do it... it's still going on apparently!
Old Sep 16, 2021, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Good to know the ordering of things, thanks 13901 👍

And yes- the volcano seemed to be alseep but woke up again a few days ago. My plan is to visit on my last day, not sure I'll have chance when I arrive- and then I'm off around the north and east. Hopefully it's still functioning in a couple of weeks!
13901 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 2:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
From what I am making out on the various threads about this, each sector seems to have an individual level of control ranging from none-at-all (e.g. Domestics) through to "you must be seen at check-in no matter what". (e.g. Hong Kong). So my hunch is that the decider is the potential ramifications to BA if someone slips through the net. So for countries like Iceland, where the pre-trip mandatory requirements are low (essentially a vaccine certificate) then BA isn't going to get in much trouble at KEF if someone doesn't do the Icelandic PLF - it can readily be done at border control, ditto the airport can provide immediate testing if that is required. Given that Iceland's tourist are overwhelmingly going to be vaccinated then this counts as a low pressure destination. Whereas I'm sure other countries, not least the UK, threaten all sorts of sanctions on airlines unless the checks are in fact checked.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:31 am

Good to know the ordering of things, thanks 13901 👍

And yes- the volcano seemed to be alseep but woke up again a few days ago. My plan is to visit on my last day, not sure I'll have chance when I arrive- and then I'm off around the north and east. Hopefully it's still functioning in a couple of weeks!
That was my plan as well, but then thanks to Icelandair I arrived almost a day earlier than thought. Managed to blag an early car delivery, drove there and slept up top... the views were incredible. One of the highlights of my life.

Went back the last day as planned and sadly the flow of lava had shifted but, still, it was less windy so you could actually spend some time there without being blown away. Still great views. I now understand it's erupting 'behind' the caldera as per my photos, so you need go left at the bifurcation in the trail, shortly after the car park. But it might all change.

It's been my second trip to Iceland and I can't wait to do a third, possibly again to the Westfjords. Amazing country.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Fantastic images 13901
Yes, I've been watching some of the chats on YT/FB, seems the easier walking trail round the back is now closed as the lava is threatening to flow over it- and yeah, it seems to completely change behaviour every few weeks so who knows!
Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:12 am

Fantastic images 13901
Yes, I've been watching some of the chats on YT/FB, seems the easier walking trail round the back is now closed as the lava is threatening to flow over it- and yeah, it seems to completely change behaviour every few weeks so who knows!
The trail I followed was the "harder" one (harder... I walked it in 1h10 at a brisk pace from car park to the very last hill, the climb is minimal to be honest with you) and I think right now it's on the wrong side of the eruption. The one that goes to the left is indeed closed as the Icelandic authorities think the lava might overflow. The last video from Reyjkavik grapevine is just a-mazing. I really had to hide the wallet yesterday after watching it or otherwise I'd have blown £500 on a ticket for this weekend...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.