Wrongfully denied travel midway at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Wrongfully denied travel midway at LHR

Hi Fellow travelers,

Greetings !

Need real input from you all. Please.

I was traveling from Montreal to Dubai via LHR with British airways. I don't hold the easiest of travel passports lol. I hold an Indian passport and I don't need a visa for travel to the UAE as I hold a US visa. I did hold a return ticket too.

There were problems at check in in Montreal for many passengers, the flight was even delayed for an hour because of this. My boarding for the LHR-DXB segment would not print, my docs were all good for travel i was told. The manager tells me that I can pick the second boarding pass in London.

Now we arrive an hour late in London, and I head to the busy ticketing desk at T5. Here again, the agent is not able to print my boarding pass. He agrees I don't need a visa after doing his checks but can't print it out. He then contacts API and also some UAE authorities. On providing all my details to them, he gets an email asking them to approve me by choosing the government override option.

He does that and still struggles. He tells me only the UAE can do this from their end now on as the usual override methods don't work.

This process so far took about 5-6 hours with the managers in the know. He later comes by and takes me to a manager and tells her what the issue is. She then insists a visa is absolutely necessary. Lol. This makes no sense at all, after all the approval emails the UAE sent out. The poor agent echoes his managers statement from then on, and seems to have lost interest in the case. I told them I prefer to go back to Montreal, and I get booked for a flight due to depart in 1 hour

I see this as a case of a wrongful boarding denial. The UAE authorities clearly gave them an approval, but BA's system won't print my boarding pass. I have written to customer relations including names of all the people involved in this at LHR.

Does anyone here think that I deserve a compensation based on EC261 ? My only worry now is if BA spins this and blames the UAE for their system not being able to generate a boarding pass. I don't have proof of the emails that the gentlemen who helped me received on his iPad. I hope the investigator tracks it down.

Just to let you know, I was allowed to board the flight from Montreal after the managers took a look at the requirements and gave it a green signal.

Thank you,

Dan
Old Sep 12, 2021, 12:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hi dandso1 and welcome to FT. I am sorry that it's this issue which has brought you here, hopefully some happier posts in the future

So on to your issue, just to help with some details are you a resident in the UAE/Dubai/Abu Dhabi or have any separate visa for there? I am not implying it's necessarily an issue, just trying to get a full picture.

Was your destination in the UAE Dubai itself or were you heading off somewhere else in the UAE?
Knodde likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your response.

No, I am a resident of Canada. I get a visa on arrival since I possess a US visa. My destination was Dubai.

Visit Dubai and also the UAE embassy in Washingtons website confirms the voa eligibility if you check it online.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by dandso1
My only worry now is if BA spins this and blames the UAE for their system not being able to generate a boarding pass. I don't have proof of the emails that the gentlemen who helped me received on his iPad. I hope the investigator tracks it down.
Note that GDPR requires BA to provide you with a copy of all personal information that BA has about you, unless the UK has removed this GDPR provision after leaving the EU. You might be able to get proof you want if you get a GDPR report from BA. If you are trying this, then I suggest that you get the GDPR part sorted out before you start talking about denied boarding compensation.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. And do i ask customer relations for this GDPR report ?
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:10 pm

When did you travel?

I’ve found an article from the 25th August suggesting visa on arrival was suspended for Indian Passports with US Visas for a while?
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

On the 8th. I read that article too, but that was only for people who were in India in the last 14days/or those traveling from India due to the covid situation there. I was traveling from Canada.

Also the rules changed again on the 30th of August.
L1705 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by L1705
When did you travel?

I’ve found an article from the 25th August suggesting visa on arrival was suspended for Indian Passports with US Visas for a while?
I think that is only if you are arriving from India or have been there in the last 14 days, but the OP was coming from Canada
https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...785382967.html
L1705 likes this.

Last edited by antichef; Sep 12, 2021 at 2:23 pm Reason: OP beat me to it when I was getting the reference!
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Im a new user
Note that GDPR requires BA to provide you with a copy of all personal information that BA has about you, unless the UK has removed this GDPR provision after leaving the EU. You might be able to get proof you want if you get a GDPR report from BA. If you are trying this, then I suggest that you get the GDPR part sorted out before you start talking about denied boarding compensation.
Care is needed here. From what the OP has said, they are not an EU/UK citizen or resident in the EU/UK, therefore the OP does not have legal rights under GDPR. However there is a good chance that if a sensible focussed data subject access request is made to BA they will process it, but there is no guarantee and there is legal recourse if they choose not to.

the BA privacy policy details what you need to do.

If you wish to receive a copy of any other information we hold on you, we recommend that you make a request in writing and include the following information with your request: Your name and postal addressDetails of your requestWe need corroborating information to establish your identity this could be: a photocopy of your passport or driving licence.your signature and the date of the requestif you are applying on behalf of another person then signed authority from the individual is requiredAny details which may help us locate the information which is the subject of your request, for example: Booking reference or flight numbers and datesExecutive Club numberTelephone recording details (identifier number, the number you call from, the number and option you dialled, the date and time of your call(s)).You may also send your request to: [email protected] The address for a written request is: Data Protection OfficerBritish Airways PlcWaterside (HCB3)PO Box 365HarmondsworthUB7 0GBEngland
Make your request succinct, you don't need to give any backstory, don't highlight that you are not an EU citizen. Just state you want all records relating to your immigration status, communication with UAE about your ability to enter the country, and these may exist in the flight systems and emails of staff who handled your check in Canada and again in Heathrow.

Good luck. They have a month to respond by law.
dandso1 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by plunet
Care is needed here. From what the OP has said, they are not an EU/UK citizen or resident in the EU/UK, therefore the OP does not have legal rights under GDPR
Pretty sure that if the processor is bound by GDPR then the rules apply to all data subjects regardless of their nationality, residence etc.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 4:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mrow
Pretty sure that if the processor is bound by GDPR then the rules apply to all data subjects regardless of their nationality, residence etc.
Correct, the residency or nationality of the ‘data subject’ is irrelevant.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
I don’t understand why airlines are more willing to fly u back to Montreal then to just you onto your destination if they already let u go halfway. such annoying bs
Old Sep 12, 2021, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by dandso1
Does anyone here think that I deserve a compensation based on EC261 ? My only worry now is if BA spins this and blames the UAE for their system not being able to generate a boarding pass. I don't have proof of the emails that the gentlemen who helped me received on his iPad. I hope the investigator tracks it down.
Yes. However, how you are able to get it will beyond our imagination.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Amil
I don’t understand why airlines are more willing to fly u back to Montreal then to just you onto your destination if they already let u go halfway. such annoying bs
In case there is a denial issue during transit, the airline is required to transport the passenger back to his point of origin upon his request.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Amil
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
In case there is a denial issue during transit, the airline is required to transport the passenger back to his point of origin upon his request.
And often additional fines by the destination country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.