Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Attempt at a TP run

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2021, 5:43 am
Original Poster

First Attempt at a TP run

I have just booked a BA Holiday in CW in March in the 'Double Tier Point' promotion, LHR-SFO, and I have selected LHR-JFK-SFO-JFK-LHR to get 560+560 Tier points, added on a BHD-LHR return to get me to the start/finish for another 80 tier points, so 1200 tier points in all.

Spent the last few days researching FT (TP/aircraft/lounges/meals) and my brain is suitably fried.

I believe I have at least 'a good chance' of CS on BA173/BA112(?). As I am currently a 'Blue' solo traveller I have to wait until checkin to select a seat, I believe any seat will be nice but a window seat would be nicer although I don't think that £100+ E/W to select a seat is anywhere near good value - do I have any options?

My BAEC account currently shows :-
Tier Point collection year ends - 08 Oct 2021
Card expiry date - 30 Nov 2021

If I was to go on a jaunt after 9th Oct where I could attain Bronze then I would be able to book a seat 7 days before departure - is it likely that that would net a window seat?

The 5 day trip has a weekend in the middle of it so I won't elevate my status prior to the return checkin opening although theoretically I think I will attain Silver while I am there.

I don't know how people research all this and work at the same time!
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SandLake
I have just booked a BA Holiday in CW in March in the 'Double Tier Point' promotion, LHR-SFO, and I have selected LHR-JFK-SFO-JFK-LHR to get 560+560 Tier points, added on a BHD-LHR return to get me to the start/finish for another 80 tier points, so 1200 tier points in all.

Spent the last few days researching FT (TP/aircraft/lounges/meals) and my brain is suitably fried.

I believe I have at least 'a good chance' of CS on BA173/BA112(?). As I am currently a 'Blue' solo traveller I have to wait until checkin to select a seat, I believe any seat will be nice but a window seat would be nicer although I don't think that £100+ E/W to select a seat is anywhere near good value - do I have any options?

My BAEC account currently shows :-
Tier Point collection year ends - 08 Oct 2021
Card expiry date - 30 Nov 2021

If I was to go on a jaunt after 9th Oct where I could attain Bronze then I would be able to book a seat 7 days before departure - is it likely that that would net a window seat?

The 5 day trip has a weekend in the middle of it so I won't elevate my status prior to the return checkin opening although theoretically I think I will attain Silver while I am there.

I don't know how people research all this and work at the same time!
I assume you're American and won't mention the travel restrictions any further

For club suites, you'll know maybe 1-2 days in advance, but You've more than even odds these days that it would be

And yes if you start crediting your TPs on the 9th you'll get gold for 2 years in that one trip however I wouldn't be going after bronze, if you want a window seat, trust me, there'll be plenty available even when OLCI opens. Loads going West are sub 50%, in premium cabins it's more like 25%. No jaunt to attain bronze required, and you would need silver to be able to seat select on long haul anyway....

Also I think you've miscalculated the tier points, should it not be 760+760?

SOF 80 + JFK 160 + SFO 140 x 2

Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Are you sure this holiday actually qualifies for double tier points?
W213Sal likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:22 am
Original Poster

It did say 'Double Tier Points' as I was making the reservation on BA Holidays although it is not mentioned in any paperwork I have since received.

I am not American but I am working on the assumption that we will be able to get in to the US by then - but it is a BA Holiday where I have only had to pay a deposit of £150 anyway.

Did I misspell SFO SOF, I can't see it!
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Starting in BHD will indeed get you the double 80 points as long as it’s all one ticket, and qualify for the promo. Not sure why there’s mention of SOF!?
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:29 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by W213Sal

LHR-JFK in J is 140, ditto JFK-SFO on the AA A321T 3-class Transcon. which is where the 560 return comes from.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
No jaunt to attain bronze required, and you would need silver to be able to seat select on long haul anyway....
Where are you getting that from? A Bronze is able to select seats 7 days before a flight whether short haul or long haul in any cabin.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:35 am
Original Poster

The BHD-LHR return is a separate addition to the BA Holiday so just a straight 80 tier points, BA Holidays website would not give me the JFK stopover option. I'll be flying to LHR the night before and I am happy to wing it on the way home.

W213Sal calculated -SOF 80 + JFK 160 + SFO 140 x 2 x 2 which confused me
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:43 am

Your holiday will only qualify if ALL your segments are BA flight numbers or BA metal, any internal AA flights with an AA flight number will disqualify your whole booking from any double tier points.

Last edited by sb1982; Sep 11, 2021 at 8:03 am
Old Sep 11, 2021, 6:46 am
Original Poster

BA173 - BA4330 - BA4316 - BA112

I have been on AA.com and selected those seats already
Cap'n Benj likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 8:04 am

BA173 - BA4330 - BA4316 - BA112

I have been on AA.com and selected those seats already
Great! Loads of tier points for you then!
efincomputer likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Picking up on something W213Sal said earlier - you'll get gold for 2 years

So, my year expires on 8th Oct and my TP run flight is early March, I was expecting Gold to last until 8th Oct 2022 but this implies it would be until 8th Oct 2023.

Have I read that right?

I do see in the "Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2021 Edition' thread that it states "which will last for the remainder of the current membership year plus the entire year that follows" but in the accompanying diagram it shows achieving Gold in Membership year 1, then dropping to Silver in year 2 which I would say contradicts the statement - and anything I have read on ba.com.

It would mean Gold until Oct 23, Silver until Oct 24 and Bronze until Oct 25 - all from 1 flight (more or less). That is incredible!
Old Sep 11, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Picking up on something W213Sal said earlier - you'll get gold for 2 years

So, my year expires on 8th Oct and my TP run flight is early March, I was expecting Gold to last until 8th Oct 2022 but this implies it would be until 8th Oct 2023.

Have I read that right?

I do see in the "Your guide to the Executive Club, attaining status and earning Avios | 2021 Edition' thread that it states "which will last for the remainder of the current membership year plus the entire year that follows" but in the accompanying diagram it shows achieving Gold in Membership year 1, then dropping to Silver in year 2 which I would say contradicts the statement - and anything I have read on ba.com.

It would mean Gold until Oct 23, Silver until Oct 24 and Bronze until Oct 25 - all from 1 flight (more or less). That is incredible!

You are correct if you reach a tier in March you attain that tier for the remainder of that year and the following year though you are of course assuming tier levels remain at lower levels. Sadly I’d be surprised if travel in March 2022 be restriction free so the plus to that could be lower threshold for All levels
Old Sep 11, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
I assume you're American and won't mention the travel restrictions any further

For club suites, you'll know maybe 1-2 days in advance, but You've more than even odds these days that it would be

And yes if you start crediting your TPs on the 9th you'll get gold for 2 years in that one trip however I wouldn't be going after bronze, if you want a window seat, trust me, there'll be plenty available even when OLCI opens. Loads going West are sub 50%, in premium cabins it's more like 25%. No jaunt to attain bronze required, and you would need silver to be able to seat select on long haul anyway....

Where did SOFia come from?
Also Bronze can select seats 7 days prior
Old Sep 12, 2021, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Part of the 'online' paperwork that I received for this booking is a hotel voucher and it states

No. of Nights : 5

Hotel confirmation number : XXXXXXX-X-XXXXXXXXXX

Special offers :
Double Tier Points Offer
British Airways Executive Club members get Double Tier Points when booking BA flights. Available on bookings for travel of 5+ nights departing by 31 Mar 2022. T&Cs apply

That is the only confirmation of the Double Tier Points offer I can see - strange that it on a hotel voucher!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.