Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Delays

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Fatdickie
Surely if you are flying internally within the UK, there is no reason to go through immigration, border control etc

Eg flying back from say Edinburgh, are you not just funnelled straight through to baggage reclaim and the exit?
There are other airlines that fly from the regions… some of them even go abroad!!!
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Surely if you are flying internally within the UK, there is no reason to go through immigration, border control etc

Eg flying back from say Edinburgh, are you not just funnelled straight through to baggage reclaim and the exit?
Sure, I don't think anyone is saying otherwise for domestic travel.

The issues around international arrivals though still remain.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
Sure, I don't think anyone is saying otherwise for domestic travel.

The issues around international arrivals though still remain.
It was more that the OP was flying internally from Manchester to Heathrow and took almost two hours to get out of the airport
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 4:06 am

It was more that the OP was flying internally from Manchester to Heathrow and took almost two hours to get out of the airport
Ah fair enough. Yes the OP didn't mention any issues in relation to immigration because of that, but we have got slightly side tracked in post 12 onwards. You are right that delays at the border would not be a cause of a delay for a MAN-LHR or other domestic flight.
Fatdickie and PGberkshire like this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Ah fair enough. Yes the OP didn't mention any issues in relation to immigration because of that, but we have got slightly side tracked in post 12 onwards. You are right that delays at the border would not be a cause of a delay for a MAN-LHR or other domestic flight.
It does make the 5 hour train journey from Glasgow ot Edinburgh seem attractive time wise
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by oceanscape
We never seem to prioritise our own citizens over others, unlike 99% of other countries.
We have the worst of both worlds. Going to the EU we have to now use the all passports line and get an ugly stamp that takes up space in your passport.
But in the UK we don't have a UK only line, it's UK+EU+loads of other countries (including US I think).
So Brexit lost us the benefit of using the faster line in the EU, but we still allow EU citizens to access our faster line (and I don't think we stamp their passports).
oceanscape likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by layz
We have the worst of both worlds. Going to the EU we have to now use the all passports line and get an ugly stamp that takes up space in your passport.
But in the UK we don't have a UK only line, it's UK+EU+loads of other countries (including US I think).
So Brexit lost us the benefit of using the faster line in the EU, but we still allow EU citizens to access our faster line (and I don't think we stamp their passports).
yes, 100% agree. The UK/EU line does indeed include US too.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by layz
I imagine that once COVID is 'over', then they would permit UK passengers to use the e-Gates in the EU again (for certain countries at least) and then get stamped at the desk before exiting into baggage reclaim.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
I imagine that once COVID is 'over', then they would permit UK passengers to use the e-Gates in the EU again (for certain countries at least) and then get stamped at the desk before exiting into baggage reclaim.
COVID will never be over we are going to have to learn to live with it!
Old Sep 7, 2021, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by CarefreeBA
Some places do that already with the eGates (mainly Spanish tourist destinations) but the need for the stamp still slows things down.
In AMS Privium (Iris scan priority immigration line) sends UK based members through to the front of the passport queue for stamping. They've allowed existing UK members to remain but with this extra step, but you can no longer apply for it as a UK citizen.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 12:10 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Data point for T5

Sept 5th Arriving on BA268

Landed at 4.10PM
Then had to wait 23 minutes for someone to come and turn on the guidance for the aircraft as the gate was empty.
Parked at gate : 4:33PM

Cabin crew then told everyone to sit down and stay in seats and people would be intructed row by row when they could get up (No issue for me)
Some American passengers getting very upset and pulling bags from overhead and having fairly nasty exchanges with the crew about them needed to get off right now, but in the end being told if they don't listen to the crew they won't be getting off and then sitting down in a mood.

Got off the plane at 4.50PM at T5B, a fairly mad dash to immigration.
Just as we got there lots of flights seem to be arriving, but only had a 5 minute wait at immigration using Egates.

Then had to wait 30 minutes for Bags to arrive.

Out of baggage hall at 5.30PM.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I suppose it could be if everything knocks on / has a ripple effect. IE delays at border causes uncollected luggage, meaning further bags cannot be delivered as no baggage belts, which means baggage handlers / ground staff can’t be freed up to go to their next flight which could be a UK Dom, which then causes a delay to customers on that flight in getting bags delivered or even getting a TRM/C to connect jetty. A problem in one place can affect other areas of ops too. Haven’t got a sense as to whether things are this bad yet but just noting what *could* be a reason!
Old Sep 7, 2021, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
I suppose it could be if everything knocks on / has a ripple effect. IE delays at border causes uncollected luggage, meaning further bags cannot be delivered as no baggage belts, which means baggage handlers / ground staff can’t be freed up to go to their next flight which could be a UK Dom, which then causes a delay to customers on that flight in getting bags delivered or even getting a TRM/C to connect jetty. A problem in one place can affect other areas of ops too. Haven’t got a sense as to whether things are this bad yet but just noting what *could* be a reason!
There are separate domestic baggage belts in a different area
to international ones.

To be honest I don’t think I have experienced a situation where the delays for immigration occurring atm have caused a delay to a domestic arrival - and I have been flying fairly regularly since the end of March during this period where immigration has clearly been very bad.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 3:53 am

Programs: BA, CX, SQ, Accor, IHG
Usually I am a firm believer in never ever checking a bag on the GLA-LHR trip, as previous experiences have taught me that the flight itself often takes less time than the bag delivery. That said, LGW is the winner in 'how long to deliver a domestic flight's bag to the belt' by quite some way, so I have vowed never to do that again.
Anyway, last time I had to check a bag on the trip to LHR from GLA, about a month back, I was prepared for the usual long wait, and surprisingly the wait was under 5 mins, so well done BA. The flight was packed too.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 5:58 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hotcat1970
Usually I am a firm believer in never ever checking a bag on the GLA-LHR trip, as previous experiences have taught me that the flight itself often takes less time than the bag delivery. That said, LGW is the winner in 'how long to deliver a domestic flight's bag to the belt' by quite some way, so I have vowed never to do that again.
Anyway, last time I had to check a bag on the trip to LHR from GLA, about a month back, I was prepared for the usual long wait, and surprisingly the wait was under 5 mins, so well done BA. The flight was packed too.
It’s called managing your expectations 😁
Hotcat1970 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.