Search

Lost car seat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2021, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Lost car seat

In a bit of a pickle...

After 3 hours waiting around for our bags today only half our bags came out. Which unfortunately were the two main bags we needed. Not only does it have all my baby's sleep regime but we are also missing our baby car seat.

We ended up taking a black cab with her on our lap for the 20 minutes home but we really need a car seat over the next few days. Has this happened to anyone else? Would a new car seat be a reasonable expense? Or maybe someone knows where they could be rented?

To make it even worse got home and the fridge/freezer has been off a while! Just one of those days....
Old Aug 29, 2021, 12:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
First things first. Did you report it at the airport and do you have a report number for the online tracing system and are your details listed there correctly?

Secondly, where is it coming from? If it's a short hop with multiple flights per day there's a reasonable chance that it will be at your destination before long. If this is the case there's a reasonable chance you'll have it tomorrow. If you're not far from the airport (you mentioned 20 minutes) you could collect it to save time once you know it's there. If you've travelled a long distance with more than one flight it may well take longer and you may need to organize a replacement if you absolutely need one in the next couple of days.

Looks like there are companies that rent equipment in the UK. Here's one:

https://www.babycomes2.co.uk/collections/car-seats
pacenotes likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Yesterday there was a security alert with a live hand grenade and mine coming in from ORD identified as transfer luggage. This caused issues and delays processing bags. I’m sure it will materialise quite quickly and be forwarded to you.

if you rent a seat in the interim yiu can see if BA will cover this cost but typically on homeward journeys you shouldn’t need to buy essential items as you should have this at home.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Just to update, They have found my bag and they think they have found the car seat and need some information from me before sending it out.

I am nearby so could I head on down and point it out for them? Is there somewhere in T5 I could do that?
Old Aug 30, 2021, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by pacenotes
Just to update, They have found my bag and they think they have found the car seat and need some information from me before sending it out.

I am nearby so could I head on down and point it out for them? Is there somewhere in T5 I could do that?
I think they can meet you and take you back to the luggage hall.
pacenotes likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

if you rent a seat in the interim yiu can see if BA will cover this cost but typically on homeward journeys you shouldn’t need to buy essential items as you should have this at home.
OP should have a back-up car seat at home?

Recently experienced the same scenario on AC at La Guardia. Very different outcome, they gave us a spare car seat (sourced from another airline as they had given all of their own away).
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I think they can meet you and take you back to the luggage hall.
Yes that’s exactly right - speaking from experience after being told my bag was not at Heathrow yesterday afternoon only to then find out it was..!

There’s a phone you use in arrivals to call the BA staff in the baggage hall and you need to provide them with the luggage tag number and describe the luggage to them.

If it’s still in the baggage hall they go and identify it while on the phone to you and collect it. Make sure you have your passport and boarding pass from the flight with you as you need these to go through some security to retrieve the luggage.
golfmad and pacenotes like this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
A few years ago we flew LGW-GLA and our car seats missed the flight. GLA baggage services gave us new car seats so we could continue our journey by car. Our car seats were delivered to our hotel the next day, so we ended up with 4x car seats! We left the baby seat with friends in Scotland, but still have the toddler/booster seat in grandparents car.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
OP should have a back-up car seat at home?

Recently experienced the same scenario on AC at La Guardia. Very different outcome, they gave us a spare car seat (sourced from another airline as they had given all of their own away).
AC at LGA isn’t a home destination though is it.

The Montreal Convention on international flights covers an airlines obligations. They rarely go above and beyond that and follow the rules directly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.