Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

GIB-LCY flights cancelled with effect from 03/09/2021 - rerouted to LHR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:34 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat

I am booked on a GIB-LCY flight next month. Yesterday BA e-mailed me to say it has cancelled the flight, and offered me a flight from GIB to LHR two hours earlier. I live 8 minutes from LCY, but 1½ hours from LHR, so this change is very inconvenient. BA's booking system shows that there are no more flights between LCY and GIB with effect from 3rd September 2021.

BA's e-mail states "If you accept to travel from a different departure point or to a different destination than your original booking, we will not cover any expenses for travel between the two points, including car rental and parking".

This breaches Article 8(3) of Regulation (EC) No 261/2004, which states "When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger".

Regulation (EC) No 261/2004 remains implemented in the UK by the Civil Aviation (Denied Boarding, Compensation and Assistance) Regulations 2005, subject to amendments by Regulation 8 of the Air Passenger Rights and Air Travel Organisers’ Licensing (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019 (often known as "UK261").

Although I have not accepted the change, BA has automatically booked me on the GIB-LHR flight, which BA's call centre has confirmed, so I don't need to accept the change. I expect BA to pay for road transport, for example Uber, from LHR to LCY (or to my close-by home) in compliance with Article 8(3). However, I am shocked that BA's e-mail suggests that BA will not comply with Article 8(3).
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you read the article you quoted it seems to apply to your booked destination not your booked origin. As far as I can see BA is still offering you a flight to the same airport, not an alternative one.

When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger".
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I believe that article would only apply if BA cancelled your flight within 14 days of departure.

I had the same issue with my FAO-LCY (September 9th) which has similarly been cancelled. I had booked to LCY because CE was available for Avios which it was not to LHR. The result is I have now been rebooked in CE to LHR, which is fine too.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:47 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by KARFA
If you read the article you quoted it seems to apply to your booked destination not your booked origin. As far as I can see BA is still offering you a flight to the same airport, not an alternative one.
Indeed, and BA has changed my booked destination, not my booked origin.
KARFA and DelTroon like this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NFH
Indeed, and BA has changed my booked destination, not my booked origin.
ah sorry thought you were going the other way!

just submit your expenses after your trip for your journey from LHR to home then.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 10:52 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I believe that article would only apply if BA cancelled your flight within 14 days of departure..
No, the two-week rule applies to Articles 5(1)(c) and 7 regarding statutory compensation (€250, €400, €600, £220, £350 or £520). It does not apply to Article 8.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
Isn't the main issue the time/inconvenience here? It will take you an hour (Maybe + 15 minutes) whether you take a cab or the underground. Unless I have baggage id always chose the train or underground (I live in E14)

Im surprised your delving into the rules and regulations for a £50 cab ride, when surely the cost is the least of your problems,

The bottom line is you cant fly from LCY with anyone now. Why are you fretting about £50?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
So LCY-GIB is going? That's a real shame. I flew it a few weeks ago and genuinely thought that might be one that would stick 😔
Old Aug 12, 2021, 7:07 pm

Would BA permit AGP-LCY as an alternative to GIB if LHR is to be avoided? For me it wouldn't just be the convenience of LCY if I happened to live close by, it would also be about avoiding the infamously unpredictable UK Border at T5 and the associated queues and congestion that get reported on here. Assuming of course traffic light systems and travel corridors permit this alternative routing.
NFH and LCY8737 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 12:27 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ukgooner
Isn't the main issue the time/inconvenience here? It will take you an hour (Maybe + 15 minutes) whether you take a cab or the underground. Unless I have baggage id always chose the train or underground (I live in E14)
Yes, usually I take the Tube without baggage. But we will have heavy baggage from 16 nights away, as well as 8 litres of duty-free spirits from GIB, taking advantage of one of the only two tangible benefits of Brexit.

Originally Posted by ukgooner
Im surprised your delving into the rules and regulations for a £50 cab ride, when surely the cost is the least of your problems,

The bottom line is you cant fly from LCY with anyone now. Why are you fretting about £50?
Yes, it's clear that cost is not the only issue. The delays at LHR were a significant reason for wanting to fly to LCY. We are due to fly on a Monday rather than the preceding Sunday because there are no flights from GIB to LCY on Sundays. We have decided to leave it as Monday, even when flying to LHR, because LHR will have shorter queues on a Monday evening than on a Sunday evening.

But the cost is nevertheless an issue. BA is cancelling the flight to LCY to cut its costs by thousands, but wants to breach Article 8(3) by refusing to cover the increased costs caused to passengers by the cancellation. This is the kind of malpractice I expect from the likes of FR, not from BA.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 12:29 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Would BA permit AGP-LCY as an alternative to GIB if LHR is to be avoided? For me it wouldn't just be the convenience of LCY if I happened to live close by, it would also be about avoiding the infamously unpredictable UK Border at T5 and the associated queues and congestion that get reported on here. Assuming of course traffic light systems and travel corridors permit this alternative routing.
Yes, that is not a bad idea at all. The travelling time from GIB to AGP is comparable to the travelling time from LHR to LCY, before even taking into account the arrival queues at LHR. Thanks.
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 1:00 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Alternatively, cancel the BA sector on the return and fly Eastern (T3) GIB - SOU. I think they operate on Mondays. SOU is virtually deserted since the collapse of BE and there are no queues on arrival. It’s a comfortable E190 and the crew are friendly. Plus a taxi from SOU to London won’t cost any more than GIB - AGP, or the train is just outside the door…
Old Aug 13, 2021, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
When BA cancels this far out (> 14 days) and offers you a full refund, BA is not going to cover any expenses. If you don't like the new itinerary take a refund and book elsewhere.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by NFH
...as well as 8 litres of duty-free spirits from GIB..
Wth...you are kidding right?
Old Aug 13, 2021, 2:13 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
When BA cancels this far out (> 14 days) and offers you a full refund, BA is not going to cover any expenses. If you don't like the new itinerary take a refund and book elsewhere.
What is the relevance of 14 days? The two-week rule applies to Articles 5(1)(c) and 7 regarding statutory compensation (€250, €400, €600, £220, £350 or £520). It does not apply to Article 8.
86BA7 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.