Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico moving from Amber to Red List

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by binman
Have I got this right?

1. Anyone arriving in the U.K. who has originated or transited a red list country must hotel quarantine as they are high risk or they mixed at the transit point.

2. Anyone from a red list point of origin can transit Heathrow, mixing with others if their final destination allows them in or requires quarantine - with impunity!
Hotel quarantine applies to returning UK and Irish citizens or those with UK residence permits who have travelled from or via a red country in the past 10 days.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:24 am

Programs: Club Premier, AmEx Plat, Priority Pass
I travelled yesterday on BA's MEX-LHR flight. Just 27 passengers in total, out of those, 23 were connecting passengers to outside the UK (including myself). All of us were able to transfer airside at T5 without problems, except for 2 passengers connecting to Dublin, departing from T5.

Because Dublin is a CTA destination, all the flights are in the same zone as flights departing to the UK, therefore, gates are after immigration control at T5. At immigration, officers didn't allow them to go to the gate "because they can go to any UK destination from there" and said that if they go through, they would be taken to a quarantine hotel immediately. BA had to rebook them to a EU destination (in this case Spain), so they could stay at the international area of T5.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by Aldoman
I travelled yesterday on BA's MEX-LHR flight. Just 27 passengers in total, out of those, 23 were connecting passengers to outside the UK (including myself). All of us were able to transfer airside at T5 without problems, except for 2 passengers connecting to Dublin, departing from T5.

Because Dublin is a CTA destination, all the flights are in the same zone as flights departing to the UK, therefore, gates are after immigration control at T5. At immigration, officers didn't allow them to go to the gate "because they can go to any UK destination from there" and said that if they go through, they would be taken to a quarantine hotel immediately. BA had to rebook them to a EU destination (in this case Spain), so they could stay at the international area of T5.
Thanks for the report. I think the gate point is a bit of a red herring. The transit exemption simply does not apply to anyone whose final destination is within the CTA, whether transiting airside or landside.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 12:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Thanks for the report. I think the gate point is a bit of a red herring. The transit exemption simply does not apply to anyone whose final destination is within the CTA, whether transiting airside or landside.
indeed but someone doing MEX LHR ATH with overnight connection still needs to enter uk and gets transit exemption
Aldoman likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
indeed but someone doing MEX LHR ATH with overnight connection still needs to enter uk and gets transit exemption
Presumably only works if on one ticket?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 4:42 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Yes, there are no red list flights at Gatwick, BA have moved the remaining weekly Cancun flight to Heathrow for example
If a flight is moved from LGW to LHR is that reason enough to cancel with full cash refund? Or are there caveats, such as the flight number has to change, and/or time needs to be +/-3hrs still? Thanks
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:43 pm

First time poster, medium term lurker. I have a Mexico city flight booked (241 voucher), was hoping that one leg would be cancelled but had no email from BA.

The return leg, 2300 MEX - LHR 26/8 is red in my MMB page. Doesn't look like you can buy fresh tickets for it and I will contact BA tomorrow for clarification but should I just be expecting to cancel this myself for a voucher?
Old Aug 12, 2021, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lostgoat
First time poster, medium term lurker. I have a Mexico city flight booked (241 voucher), was hoping that one leg would be cancelled but had no email from BA.

The return leg, 2300 MEX - LHR 26/8 is red in my MMB page. Doesn't look like you can buy fresh tickets for it and I will contact BA tomorrow for clarification but should I just be expecting to cancel this myself for a voucher?
You should be able to cancel for a full refund, depending on whether you are worried about losing the 241 voucher. The flight does look like it will be cancelled.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 11:41 pm

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
If a flight is moved from LGW to LHR is that reason enough to cancel with full cash refund? Or are there caveats, such as the flight number has to change, and/or time needs to be +/-3hrs still? Thanks
yes it is enough to cancel.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 3:01 am

I had flights to MEX booked with a voucher and in first class (sep - oct) My October return was cancelled and I was given 4 options:

1 - rebook onto the alternative flight offered (next day)
2 - Cancel for free and get points/voucher/taxes back
3 - cancel and wrap up my ticket in a voucher to preserve the 2-4-1 for longer
4 - move booking to any dates in the next 12 months (even if there is no avios availability)

I chose number 4!
Old Aug 13, 2021, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Re 4: You needed to rebook now? There was no option to put the ticket on hold for later rebooking?
Old Aug 13, 2021, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Re 4: You needed to rebook now? There was no option to put the ticket on hold for later rebooking?
I believe you could just not touch the booking and leave the flight as cancelled until you are ready to rebook. This would have to be before the flight but wouldnt give you open ended use of a ticket. You can still only use it within a year of the outbound flight as far as I am aware. Only way of leaving it semi open ended would be to wrap it into a voucher giving you until 2023 to use it. But you would be restricted on Avios seats being available that way.
Old Aug 13, 2021, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Indeed, if all segments cancelled I would just leave the reservation as it is until being ready to rebook. If all segments are not cancelled/there are still active segments in the reservation, you can't do that. Yes, ofc ticket validity will still apply (this issue has been discussed intensively in other BA threads lately).
Old Aug 14, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I believe that should be enough for a refund. But I’m sure someone else will verify.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, I’ve had plenty of euro trips cancel to LHR and refund without issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.