Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico moving from Amber to Red List

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:17 am

Israel - with an infection rate as high as the US - remains green, while Canada remains amber (with extremely low infection rates and one of the highest vaccination rates in the world)… more lack of sense.
Cap'n Benj, hurnik and JTXC like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 1:39 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Israel - with an infection rate as high as the US - remains green, while Canada remains amber (with extremely low infection rates and one of the highest vaccination rates in the world)… more lack of sense.
Lots of canadians have had mixed vaccines (i.e. one of one sort and one of another) to try and speed up the roll out. This is complicating things as many countries require two doses of the same vaccine.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Originally Posted by makin'miles
As the UK Government won't publish how it makes up the rules, there is no chance of any logic prevailing. Some areas of India have 60+ cases/100K whereas Mexico has between 13-40/100K, source NYT. At least it has figured out that Reunion is not a region in France but an island in the Indian Ocean
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:43 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by PxC
If I've got a couple of vouchers I would like the cash back for, would booking a flight to Cancun for next month now be a good idea? I'm assuming they will be cancelled.
Probably, yes.

However, as it's one of few current gateways into US for non-US travellers, it's not a write-off route just yet.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:48 am

I'm booked onto mid-September LGW-CUN return, part of the BA Holidays double Tier Points promo.

Hoping it'll get cancelled so they'll return the deposit as cash.

Doesn't save my TP situation though. Have already cancelled 2160 TPs so far this year.

Am now writing off any chance of retaining status, so will be proactively cancelling December and March trips to move them into next TP year post 8th April 2022. Frustrating.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I'm booked onto mid-September LGW-CUN return, part of the BA Holidays double Tier Points promo.

Hoping it'll get cancelled so they'll return the deposit as cash.

Doesn't save my TP situation though. Have already cancelled 2160 TPs so far this year.

Am now writing off any chance of retaining status, so will be proactively cancelling December and March trips to move them into next TP year post 8th April 2022. Frustrating.
With only a token few long haul destinations open, they simply have to offer another status extension to those of us with a year reset in the first half of 2022. Despite the reduced earning thresholds, a number of people have lost half the year.

Well, apart from those that have been flying LHR-MAN-LHR 15 times a week....
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
Well, apart from those that have been flying LHR-MAN-LHR 15 times a week....
indeed. if status is of value to you, there are plenty of options available. BA doesn’t have to extend status because the routes you specifically want to travel on are still closed.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
indeed. if status is of value to you, there are plenty of options available. BA doesn’t have to extend status because the routes you specifically want to travel on are still closed.
Doesn't bother me particularly. Theres plenty of other airlines out there. Being Gold, I get some benefits over flying other airlines in J. If I drop to Silver, theres not really any difference between flying BA Club Europe to, say, Frankfurt or Lufthansa Business.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:22 am

Are BA operating any extra flights to get people back?
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by BWBriscoe
Are BA operating any extra flights to get people back?
If you're already there they'll rebook you waiving additional cost to get you back early. I'd assume that MEX and CUN are both good for that. Not long though: today and tomorrow only to arrive back in time before 8th threshold.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Doesn't bother me particularly. Theres plenty of other airlines out there. Being Gold, I get some benefits over flying other airlines in J. If I drop to Silver, theres not really any difference between flying BA Club Europe to, say, Frankfurt or Lufthansa Business.
That's the spirit
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Indeed. Flying Blue is giving double status points (XPs in their parlance) until the end of the year. Especially for those of us living in "the regions" this is very tempting. So tempting, in fact, that I'm hopping on it and seriously considering just defecting to SkyTeam.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat, BA Amex PP
At least on Friday there will be an additional flight departing at 3PM local time. Flight number BA 1124 i believe.
TTmex likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
With only a token few long haul destinations open, they simply have to offer another status extension to those of us with a year reset in the first half of 2022. ...
Not sure they have to do anything of the sort. BAEC exists for BA's benefit: its management will act in what they perceive to be the interests of the airline. We hope those interests are congruent with ours, but they might not be. Remember there will be many who do manage to get over this years' reduced requalification hurdles.

Silver isn't the end of the world; and you'll likely be back up to Gold in no time.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Not sure they have to do anything of the sort. BAEC exists for BA's benefit: its management will act in what they perceive to be the interests of the airline. We hope those interests are congruent with ours, but they might not be. Remember there will be many who do manage to get over this years' reduced requalification hurdles.

Silver isn't the end of the world; and you'll likely be back up to Gold in no time.
Obviously, from a personal point of view, of course they dont have to do anything.

But from a commercial point of view, I suspect there are good number more people who will struggle to retain any status than won't. There's a number of people who are actively choosing not to fly until everything is back to normal too. As I alluded to earlier, how many of those choose BA purely for the fact they have more incentive to do so?

Anyway, back to Mexico being on the red list...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.