Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is BA Removing Lounge Access in Europe - Is This a New Cost-Cutting Strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is BA Removing Lounge Access in Europe - Is This a New Cost-Cutting Strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sam Lewis
I was denied access to Split lounge 2 weeks ago- other OW airline passengers could use though. Having never been there before am unsure whether its always been so or is something new
This was available last summer for BA passengers although if I recall, access didn’t start quite in time for the first flights of the summer season. However it’s now August and having been there today, access is still not available for those flying BA.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:19 am

So in summary, BA failing to agree new contracts to the lounge IS a failure of BA (not their third party provider) (11.1), given their failure to notify customers in a timely manner (11.4).
Therefore compensation for lack of provision should be due from BA?
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by GBOAC
So in summary, BA failing to agree new contracts to the lounge IS a failure of BA (not their third party provider) (11.1), given their failure to notify customers in a timely manner (11.4).
Therefore compensation for lack of provision should be due from BA?
The website states clearly that some lounges are closed. I suspect BA would argue that qualifies as due notice (assuming the oneworld database is up to date, as that’s what the BA site links to for further details).

Although it could then be argued that the lounges are not closed, merely unavailable.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by volar
This was available last summer for BA passengers although if I recall, access didn’t start quite in time for the first flights of the summer season. However it’s now August and having been there today, access is still not available for those flying BA.
Makes me feel a bit more justified in packing Little Miss RC off to SPU on EasyJet (well, can't spoil them too much )
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
11.4. British Airways reserves the right to discontinue relationships with Service Partners at any time and will give Members such notice of any discontinuance as is reasonably practical in the circumstances.

My highlighting. BA manage to send me countless E-Mails about every flight so it is reasonably practicable to E-Mail me if they have discontinued their relationship with a service partner in an outstation. Having used the word "and" these two cannot be considered mutually exclusive.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...d-faqs#lounges
nilsfr69 and chilglish like this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHons diamond
Valencia lounge also no longer available to BA passengers ‘because BA have not renewed the contract’ according to the very pleasant entry attendant. Seems that the information hasn’t reached check-in staff who are telling Club Europe customers that the lounge is again open. The lounge is indeed open and accessible for those flying BA with priority pass or by paying the walk up price . The layout of the lounge has been changed and there’s no more self service. Actually makes for a far better experience given there’s only a handful of people in here. But a succession of bemused/fed-up BA customers…
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:19 am

"Third party and partner lounges
As a result of COVID-19 lounge facilities are offered at selected locations only.

Please check here to see if your departure or arrivals lounge is open."

Very disingenuous language; whether deliberate or incompetent, one could only speculate...
Old Aug 2, 2021, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Nickl
Valencia lounge also no longer available to BA passengers ‘because BA have not renewed the contract’ according to the very pleasant entry attendant. Seems that the information hasn’t reached check-in staff who are telling Club Europe customers that the lounge is again open. The lounge is indeed open and accessible for those flying BA with priority pass or by paying the walk up price . The layout of the lounge has been changed and there’s no more self service. Actually makes for a far better experience given there’s only a handful of people in here. But a succession of bemused/fed-up BA customers…
That happened to us 2 years at LPA Gran Canaria, was told BA hadn't renewed the contract, was very peeved.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Haagen Daz
"Third party and partner lounges
As a result of COVID-19 lounge facilities are offered at selected locations only.

Please check here to see if your departure or arrivals lounge is open."

Very disingenuous language; whether deliberate or incompetent, one could only speculate...

I’m not sure how it is disingenuous, if you follow the link details of each lounge's access policy is clearly provided with each search result showing which oneworld airlines have access and for which passengers the lounge is open.

If a lounge is operating yet unavailable to BA passengers that would suggest BA have deliberately chosen not to pay for its customers to use it, in those cases it's certainly worth complaining to BA to share your disappointment. Given BA’s T&Cs no compensation is due, but that shouldn’t stop those unhappy with BA’s decision from complaining.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Aug 4, 2021 at 4:10 am
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC
I’m wondering if this partly explains BA’s lounge strategy:

“Enjoy access to non-British Airways airport lounges across the globe with Lounge Pass, no matter what airline you are flying with or cabin you are travelling in. Choose from 600 lounges, at over 350 airports worldwide, including over 45 in the UK. Executive Club Members can collect 5 Avios per £1/€1/$1 spent…[click button]”

Presumably BA will have negotiated a deal and will get a share of the profits from passengers who buy a pass using the link on ba.com - which means that it’s in BA’s interest not to have a wide network of its own lounges anymore…?
Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:05 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Even worse many years ago when we were not silver, denied entry to the lounge in Mauritius as it was only for status pax. We were travelling on paid CW. Also same experience in Portugal. These were many years ago though.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I’m not sure how it is disingenuous, if you follow the link details of each lounge's access policy is clearly provided with each search result showing which oneworld airlines have access and for which passengers the lounge is open.

If a lounge is operating yet unavailable to BA passengers that would suggest BA have deliberately chosen not to pay for its customers to use it, in those cases it's certainly worth complaining to BA to share your disappointment. Given BA’s T&Cs no compensation is due, but that shouldn’t stop those unhappy with BA’s decision from complaining.
That is exactly my point.

Using VLC as an example, the lounge is clearly open, but is not offered to otherwise qualifying BA passengers.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
This situation is clearly a cost cutting exercise. More and more lounges are open but not available to BA customers. It really is a devaluation of the GGL/Gold Executive Club Benefits and will influence peoples choice of carrier. The lounge experience was one I valued in many destinations and one of the reasons I chose to pay for BA flights and keep up the Gold membership. If this is a permanent (or even extended period change) I will be more inclined to fly with an airline that does offer the facility. I am sure many will feel the same way.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Eurobonus Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I’m currently sat in the Dubrovnik lounge. Gained access with a Club Europe boarding pass. Not sure when BA regained access…
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cauchy
Club Europe can easily be had for under £100 one way, even lower on some routes. The lowest I've seen is £65 for INV-LHR. At this price point, there's no way BA can afford to pay for lounge access.

A couple of years ago these would have been reasonable Euro Traveller prices.
Flights to JMK are currently £800 in CE, at this price point surely BA can afford to pay for lounge access? Disappointing that they are choosing not to. Everyone really needs to start complaining every time they are not able to access a lounge at an airport, even though lounges are operating, particularly for other OW airlines.
justin_krusty likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.