Wiki Posts
Search

BA boarding by rows

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2021, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

BA boarding by rows

Sorry couldn’t find a thread for this.
Curious if BA current policy to board by rows from back to front is here to stay. I always travel with hand luggage only and I really didn’t like that on the flight from Spain to LHR they actually enforced boarding by rows. Thankfully plane wasn’t full and when I boarded in the last group I had a space for my carry on next to me.
Do they punish elites sitting up front and CE passengers by making them wait in a long line to board and gate checking bags when there is no space?
had a few flights with BA during COVID and always boarded amongst first few people and agents never said anything. This was a first time they actually made all CE wait until the very last economy passenger boarded.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Priority boarding is coming back on Monday with the easing of restrictions I believe.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 4:25 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
BA have already said they are set to re-introduce priority boarding. I think it was suppose to happen in June in line when when England ended lockdown, but got delayed due to the lockdown delay. I haven't seen a new date yet but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens from Monday.

Since boarding by rows started I have gone from one extreme to another. I always used to be there for when boarding started, but now I always aim to get to the gate as boarding finishes. Despite my natural overhead bin anxiety, I have never had a problem and perhaps on a very small handful of cases the bag has gone more than 1 row away from my seat. I really haven't decided what I will do when priority boarding comes back, but it is possible I will stick with my new normal

Last edited by KARFA; Jul 16, 2021 at 4:34 pm
Old Jul 16, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
On Monday 19th priority boarding will return but Euro/World Traveller will still board by row, back to front. I assume that means Groups 1-3 will be called first and then Groups 4-5 will be done by row.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
BA have already said they are set to re-introduce priority boarding. I think it was suppose to happen in June in line when when England ended lockdown, but got delayed due to the lockdown delay. I haven't seen a new date yet but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens from Monday.

Since boarding by rows started I have gone from one extreme to another. I always used to be there for when boarding started, but not I always aim to get to the gate as boarding finishes. Despite my natural overhead bin anxiety, I have never had a problem and perhaps on a very small handful of cases the bag has gone more than 1 row away from my seat. I really haven't decided what I will do when priority boarding comes back, but it is possible I will stick with my new normal
Great to hear. I remember pre covid I had trouble finding space sometimes on a321 when I missed group 1 boarding on full flights due to being stuck at connecting security.
few rows back is not a problem for me as long as they don’t gate check to final destination.
crazyarmadillo and KARFA like this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boeing77W
On Monday 19th priority boarding will return but Euro/World Traveller will still board by row, back to front. I assume that means Groups 1-3 will be called first and then Groups 4-5 will be done by row.
hopefully outstation will follow this rule as well.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 4:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gateH15
Great to hear. I remember pre covid I had trouble finding space sometimes on a321 when I missed group 1 boarding on full flights due to being stuck at connecting security.
few rows back is not a problem for me as long as they don’t gate check to final destination.
On a A321neo (the ceos are all parked up now and possibly may never come back) it absolutely is never a problem in row 1 since the bins especially on the port side extend quite a bit forward of the row itself.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Good to hear that priority boarding is coming back. Recent LHR-DFW travel on a 787-10 had First board, then WT from back to front, then CW--despite boarding via L2 door and CW being to the left (ie, no one in WT would have been passing through that cabin). Small annoyance, overall nice plane and journey though.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 3:35 am

Groups should return on Monday, should now be groups 1-9, 4-9 being ET/WT back to front.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by JFX1764
Groups should return on Monday, should now be groups 1-9, 4-9 being ET/WT back to front.
Presumably with groups 1-3 being as they were in the old 1-5 system?
Old Jul 17, 2021, 4:29 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
I thought my OH was the only one with 'over head bin anxiety'. Love the phrase, KARFA, 👍😁 . OH always was panicking about space and always my fault as I pack too much apparently, we normally only do hand baggage.

So in CE for past few couple years, pre covid, we only went for row 3. I imagine during the pandemic it hasn't mattered though.

Sooner or later things will pick up again. I never thought I would look forward to trying to find space in the bins 😀
Old Jul 17, 2021, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by airline brat
Good to hear that priority boarding is coming back. Recent LHR-DFW travel on a 787-10 had First board, then WT from back to front, then CW--despite boarding via L2 door and CW being to the left (ie, no one in WT would have been passing through that cabin). Small annoyance, overall nice plane and journey though.
CW extends to the left and the right of L2 on the 787-10 so it is an understandable nuance. Even if it wasn't a particularly well appreciated one.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JFX1764
Booked a quick weekend away in London, but only in ET as for such a short flight no point paying extra. BAEC Silver though, so will I still get priority boarding or grouped in ET boarding back to front?
Old Jul 17, 2021, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
Booked a quick weekend away in London, but only in ET as for such a short flight no point paying extra. BAEC Silver though, so will I still get priority boarding or grouped in ET boarding back to front?
if they drop boarding by groups on July 19th you should get priority. Boarding passes still say groups 1/2/3 priority. And I’ve noticed in London they don’t really enforce boarding by groups. At least in my experience. I always boarded when they announce boarding and had no issues. In BCN they made everyone like up in 6 lines and ET would board last.
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Priority Boarding back at EDI this morning! Dont get me started about lumping Group 1 with 2&3 but I will let it go for now…

aks120

Last edited by aks120; Jul 19, 2021 at 4:09 am Reason: Added photo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.