Wiki Posts
Search

Where would you go in August?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2021 | 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Where would you go in August?

Looking to go away for a week or so in August. I have an amex 2-4-1 voucher and 150,000 or so avios. But the flights I was eyeing to Grenada have gone.

Where would you recommend for a week? We are doing this holiday on a budget, as it will be our second. But we would like to get away as a couple rather than just a family holiday.
We looked at Antigua, and there are cheap flights. However were put off by reviews of friends who had just come back.

Ideally we would spend less than 600 per person for Y. When out there we would probably self cater.

Saw an amazing deal to St Kitts, but looks like it's under lockdowns of sorts.
Old Jul 11, 2021 | 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold
Just came back from Antigua and it was fantastic, Go for sure! Stuff the Avios, get cash tickets... from 480

https://www.google.co.uk/travel/flig...WUQSBggBEAAYAA

Id go all inclusive
argonath and T8191 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021 | 1:01 pm
Original Poster

It is a very good deal! Although bags are another 80.

We have slightly different reasons in that the main reason we were put off was hearing that the locals were openly disapproving to our friends who are a gay couple. As we are also a same sex couple, we'd rather go somewhere we feel more welcome.
The_Editor and 86BA7 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2021 | 1:42 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Does it have to be long haul?

How about Malta (perhaps Gozo), Paphos or Portugal / Spain. No jet lag, looks like about as fuss free in terms of testing & paperwork as you are going to get and a decent healthcare system if you need it. You could get really good value with 2-4-1 and CE on Avios RFS and still have Avios left (you dont have to spend them all )
Old Jul 11, 2021 | 2:20 pm

I'd go to the UK. If fact, that's where I hope I'm going... already have flights booked.

Perspective and context is everything!

rb211.
wasitcarolyn likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2021 | 2:41 pm
40 Countries Visited1M40 Nights15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by wasitcarolyn

We have slightly different reasons in that the main reason we were put off was hearing that the locals were openly disapproving to our friends who are a gay couple. As we are also a same sex couple, we'd rather go somewhere we feel more welcome.
Never had any issues in the Caribbean (10+ visitor to Barbados here plus less frequently St Lucia, Antigua, St Kitts and Dom Rep). We don't go in for PDA's so as far as anyone is to know all we are is jolly good pals! Everyone we've met locally has been extremely friendly, hospitable and welcoming. Same for Maldives, UAE and Oman for that matter. Respect and understanding for local customs and acceptability goes a long way.

How about Cancun?
wasitcarolyn and The_Editor like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Jul 11, 2021 at 2:46 pm
Old Jul 11, 2021 | 2:45 pm

If youre fully vaccinated I would also +1 on Malta/Gozo. A delightful place to visit for a week and some really good deals currently on offer for accommodation.
wasitcarolyn likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021 | 7:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, sorry, I had failed to consider that we are all posting from different places and with different wants.
I am already going to Spain with family members, so we fancied something a bit different. Our usual hotel in Mykonos is extortionate this year so we will leave Greece for another year.

Doesn't have to be in Europe, but thought it might be a good time to go a little further afield and take advantage of cut price hotels. Not sure what the usual cost of places in Antigua is like, but the ones I saw on booking.com don't look great value in comparison to the suggestion of Malta above!

I've been tracking flights to St Lucia and Grenada too, and they've all shot up in price. Anyways, thanks so much for your advice.

And if you don't mind [MENTION=156018]1Aturnleft[/MENTION] , I will direct message you for some more advice..
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021 | 7:55 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: Mucci Platinum Hairbrush des Bonnes Nouvelles. BA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, AA LTS, KL LTPt, Easy Flight Club

Same situation as you wasitcarolyn :-)

We have had “issues” in the Caribbean but only on the larger islands and thankfully nothing too terrible. But not great IMHO.

As a rule of thumb, the French and Dutch islands seem most welcoming. We enjoyed St Barths, Saba, Bonaire, Statia, Martinique and also Mustique. However we felt much less welcome in Barbados, Antigua and especially Jamaica. Antigua is a handy jumping off point for some of the small islands btw.

You might fly to Mykonos and hop on the ferry over to Tinos (great food) or somewhere like Milos (flight or ferry). Both are very gay-friendly. Feel free to pm if you’d like more thoughts. We have been to rather too many places so have quite a bit of context on this :-)
skiaplg likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021 | 1:10 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: BAEC
You could consider Madeira? Im going later in the year and Ive heard great things. They seem to take Covid seriously too and have stable case numbers.
TheFlyingCyclist likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021 | 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
For me it would be Antalya, Dalaman and Spain.
Maybe another Spain trip and Poland depending on the situation.
Old Jul 12, 2021 | 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
As a frequent Caribbean visitor, I'm really not sure about August. It's very hot, probably humid, and you can get a lot of poor weather. These days I'd probably head to northern Europe and save the Caribbean for winter. The French/Dutch islands are, in very general terms, more gay-friendly that the British/US ones. (Personal observation over 30 years of sailing in the Caribbean.)
Old Jul 13, 2021 | 2:22 am
10 Years on Site

Thank you all for the replies. Yes, sorry, I had failed to consider that we are all posting from different places and with different wants.
I am already going to Spain with family members, so we fancied something a bit different. Our usual hotel in Mykonos is extortionate this year so we will leave Greece for another year.

Doesn't have to be in Europe, but thought it might be a good time to go a little further afield and take advantage of cut price hotels. Not sure what the usual cost of places in Antigua is like, but the ones I saw on booking.com don't look great value in comparison to the suggestion of Malta above!

I've been tracking flights to St Lucia and Grenada too, and they've all shot up in price. Anyways, thanks so much for your advice.

And if you don't mind [MENTION=156018]1Aturnleft[/MENTION] , I will direct message you for some more advice..
Be wary of Paphos or Malta in August unless you like it very hot, it could be 40C.
Old Jul 13, 2021 | 2:58 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Granada is fantastic in the summer.
Old Jul 13, 2021 | 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
As a frequent Caribbean visitor, I'm really not sure about August. It's very hot, probably humid, and you can get a lot of poor weather. These days I'd probably head to northern Europe and save the Caribbean for winter. The French/Dutch islands are, in very general terms, more gay-friendly that the British/US ones. (Personal observation over 30 years of sailing in the Caribbean.)
Curacao seemed particularly gay-friendly when we honeymooned there 15 years ago. Lots of other same-sex couples around. Very different to St Lucia where we felt distinctly uncomfortable.
skiaplg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.