Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA (and VS) to start LHR trial for faster immigration for fully vax'd passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA (and VS) to start LHR trial for faster immigration for fully vax'd passengers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby

This is a very hopeful development!
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-57743038
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:55 pm

From my point of view, this is the best bit:

The trial will accept internationally recognised vaccination credentials including the NHS app, CDC card, US state-level digital certification and the EU digital Covid certificate.
Now if HMG can get on board with accepting vax creds from the US, I'll be a very happy camper!

rb211.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Wow! I hope this becomes true.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
The thread title is very misleading, the BA/VS trial relates to fast track arrival lanes, quarantine will still be required for Amber arrivals. The idea is to show HMG that airlines can effectively check a passenger’s vaccine status before boarding a flight and thus speed up the arrival process at LHR for those taking part in the trial.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:10 am

Let's hope it doesn't end wherever the Gove lateral flow trial ended.
Markie likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:21 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The thread title has been amended to reflect that this trial only allows faster immigration, and has no effect on the need to self-isolate.

/mod
adrianlondon, Geordie405 and SxMan like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The thread title is very misleading, the BA/VS trial relates to fast track arrival lanes, quarantine will still be required for Amber arrivals. The idea is to show HMG that airlines can effectively check a passenger’s vaccine status before boarding a flight and thus speed up the arrival process at LHR for those taking part in the trial.
Other countries have been managing this for weeks already. It’s really not that complicated. For recent trips to Spain and Cyprus, we had to enter vaccination data to an app and/or upload shots of our vaccination cards; for a flight to BEY, we had to show the cards at check-in. In each case, everything worked very smoothly. It would be easy to add this step to VeriFLY and the UK PLF.
BA6501, wrp96 and QPRPaul like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:44 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by prof
Other countries have been managing this for weeks already. It’s really not that complicated. For recent trips to Spain and Cyprus, we had to enter vaccination data to an app and/or upload shots of our vaccination cards; for a flight to BEY, we had to show the cards at check-in. In each case, everything worked very smoothly. It would be easy to add this step to VeriFLY and the UK PLF.
The NHS app has your Vaccine status and contains a QR code that apparently links to the euro system. Yo can also print out a pdf with the information that is valid for 30 days. It’s all in place behind the scenes.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:46 am

Yes, so now it’s only a matter of the UK government catching up to what other countries have been doing for weeks.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by prof
Yes, so now it’s only a matter of the UK government catching up to what other countries have been doing for weeks.
Which countries are offering fast track immigration clearance for fully vaccinated travellers?
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:46 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Then the responsibility of verifying that the certificate is a real one falls on the airline. This is now the case in Germany as airlines have to check PCR/Antigen/Vaccination status at departure point for arrival in Germany. LH was fined in May 300 000 EUROS for letting, in a 3 month period, board on flight to Germany 3 000 people with fake tests/vaccination cards.
If the airlines have no responsibility then this is not a good move.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:55 am

From the BA press releaseCustomers on the following routes will be able to participate in the proving trial:

British Airways

New York (JFK) to London Heathrow (LHR)

BA112 Daily, arrives 06:30

BA182 Daily, arrives 09:40

Athens (ATH) to London Heathrow (LHR)

BA623 Daily, arrives 09:55

BA629 1 x weekly, arrives 16:20

BA633 1 x weekly, arrives 21:50

BA637 4 x weekly, arrives 19:05 or 18:55 or 18:25

BA639 5 x weekly, arrives 15:25 or 15:30

BA641 5 x weekly, arrives 17:25 or 17:35
Simon Schus likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:57 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
The NHS app has your Vaccine status and contains a QR code that apparently links to the euro system. Yo can also print out a pdf with the information that is valid for 30 days. It’s all in place behind the scenes.
The NHS app only accepts vaccinations carried out in England as far as I know. Those of us who were vaccinated outside of England (me - USA - CDC card in hand) cannot use the NHS QR code so it really isn’t all in place at all.
From people in the know I have spoken to, apparently the NHS is working on accepting vaccinations that England residents had in other countries, to the NHS app, but it is still work in progress.

However this new trial accepts the CDC card as proof, according to the Telegraph today, so I assume there will be a portal to upload a digital scan of this where it will be physically checked by a person, and an authorisation provided.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:01 am

As much as I'd like to see the positivity in this, I'm afraid it's just not enough.

It's not the real prize, i.e. not having to self isolate for 10 days (and spending hundreds of £). It also opens up the risk of UKBF cocking it up: in my experience the e-Gates are never fully open, because there's still a manual intervention behind the scenes and the agents can't, seemingly, handle all the 20-or-so gates that, for instance, you have at T5. Now, imagine there are 10 gates open. If to these gates UKBF adds another 3 for the vaccinated flights, all well and good. If, as I think they will, take the 3 gates from the available pool, thus reducing the available number of gates for everyone else... then we've got a problem.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
The NHS app only accepts vaccinations carried out in England as far as I know. Those of us who were vaccinated outside of England (me - USA - CDC card in hand) cannot use the NHS QR code so it really isn’t all in place at all.
From people in the know I have spoken to, apparently the NHS is working on accepting vaccinations that England residents had in other countries, to the NHS app, but it is still work in progress.

However this new trial accepts the CDC card as proof, according to the Telegraph today, so I assume there will be a portal to upload a digital scan of this where it will be physically checked by a person, and an authorisation provided.
If you are registered with a GP in England you can forward your proof of vaccination and they will add it to your record.
Tobias-UK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.