Wiki Posts
Search

Will BA rebook to A3?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Will BA rebook to A3?

We are booked to travel to Greece in less than one week, and a schedule change was made today which pushes our flight departure by 2h, meaning we miss the LHR connection to Greece. There's only one flight a day. The ticket is booked in Club Europe, with Avios. Any chance they will rebook me in C with A3 which is avail? A bit stressed as options are really limited and rev prices are super expensive this close out, since this is a oneway trip
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Zero chance in my opinion. I'm not sure what else to suggest other than a refund or a date change.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Zero chance in my opinion. I'm not sure what else to suggest other than a refund or a date change.
Aren't they liable to provide me with an option according to EC261/04? The flight is ex-EU
Old Jun 30, 2021, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Yes, but that option could be (i) take a refund, (ii) travel tomorrow. They are not required to book you on another airline.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

took lots of persistence on my part, and nearly 40 min with an agent trying different things, finally got rebooked on LH. happy camper.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Good result!
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
took lots of persistence on my part, and nearly 40 min with an agent trying different things, finally got rebooked on LH. happy camper.
You do know that germany doesnt allow transit from UK to schengen for non-german citizen or residents?!
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:34 pm

There is a policy for cancelled flights due to covid that allows rebooks on LH, there is no policy that allows rebooks on A3 so no surprise really.

Last edited by Anonba; Jul 1, 2021 at 4:52 am
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Anonba
There is a policy due to covid that allows rebooks on LH, there is no policy that allows rebooks on A3 so no surprise really.
INDEED, though only if ticket issued prior to 22nd June - some of my cancellations dont qualify for now
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
For anyone wondering why LH/not A3, etc. BA publish Customer Guidelines by route/situation, and they may/may not have agreements to involuntary reroute in advance on a given airline.

A list of BA's current COVID guidelines/policies are available here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...covid-policies and under Customer Guidelines by country is a long list of various situations.

On the day disruption at an airport is handled differently. In advance/over the phone, call centre agent options are limited to whatever BA has published.
Anonba likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, but that option could be (i) take a refund, (ii) travel tomorrow. They are not required to book you on another airline.
That’s incorrect, if a flight is cancelled BA is expected to reroute the passenger which includes other airlines.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Aren't they liable to provide me with an option according to EC261/04? The flight is ex-EU
BA is liable to provide a re-routing option to you. But it does not mean it has to go with your way.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold
I actually took BA to court over this (MCOL) and they settled. My flight was cancelled and they were not able to rebook me on another carrier. The only way was to rebook me on IB which would make a very short flight a 7 hour trip. After they refused to rebook me on the only other option available, I rebooked myself and claimed the price difference. They have now offered to settle and pay the claim in full.
megaloman likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba
There is a policy due to covid that allows rebooks on LH, there is no policy that allows rebooks on A3 so no surprise really.
Well, this is partially correct. There seems to be a policy for tickets issued prior to Jun 22. My ticket was issued on Jun 28. I talked to the agent who first insisted that he could only rebook on OW; then I pushed and said those options don't exist; he then went to read about the policy and found the LH rebooking policy but then insisted that although he was allowed to rebook on LH, there were no seats available. At this point, I insisted that BA need to rebook me on any airline, and ultimately after lots of back and forth he agreed. I tried to get him to book on A3 and he said his system said that the airline does not even exist. Strange, but I was happy with LH as well. He kept saying no seats exist. The second I said that I have access to GDS (maybe a bit of a lie from my side, I used Expertflyer), and could see 2 C-class tickets with LH and handed him the exact flight numbers and departure and arrival airports, he was able to finally get the tickets issued/booked. This whole ordeal probably had us try 10 different things, and a "normal customer" would have given up after 5 min.

Last edited by brokenwindow; Jul 1, 2021 at 12:00 am
Old Jul 1, 2021, 12:31 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Well, this is partially correct. There seems to be a policy for tickets issued prior to Jun 22. My ticket was issued on Jun 28. I talked to the agent who first insisted that he could only rebook on OW; then I pushed and said those options don't exist; he then went to read about the policy and found the LH rebooking policy but then insisted that although he was allowed to rebook on LH, there were no seats available. At this point, I insisted that BA need to rebook me on any airline, and ultimately after lots of back and forth he agreed. I tried to get him to book on A3 and he said his system said that the airline does not even exist. Strange, but I was happy with LH as well. He kept saying no seats exist. The second I said that I have access to GDS (maybe a bit of a lie from my side, I used Expertflyer), and could see 2 C-class tickets with LH and handed him the exact flight numbers and departure and arrival airports, he was able to finally get the tickets issued/booked. This whole ordeal probably had us try 10 different things, and a "normal customer" would have given up after 5 min.
OP, as it stands, you will be denied boarding at LHR. From TIMATIC:

Passengers arriving from Botswana, Brazil, Eswatini (Swaziland), India, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal, Portugal, Russian Fed., South Africa, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Zambia or Zimbabwe are not allowed to transit through Germany to Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland.
- This does not apply to nationals and residents of Germany.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.