Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No day 2/8 test if transiting UK to a crown dependancy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Tesco, Nectar

Just got an email update for a change on 25th June to the gov travel reqs website. (NB website says late updated 24th June this moment)

wondering why this has been done? In theory, can a person evade all the quarantine/tests if they fly to Jersey etc.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 11:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
you would have to stay in Jersey for 10 days and comply with whatever restrictions they have in relation to your origin - so I am not sure it really is a loophole as such. If you don’t live in Jersey that’s a lot of hotel bill to save the cost of a day 2&8 test package.

​​
ENTP and IAMORGAN like this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
you would have to stay in Jersey for 10 days and comply with whatever restrictions they have in relation to your origin - so I am not sure it really is a loophole as such. If you don’t live in Jersey that’s a lot of hotel bill to save the cost of a day 2&8 test package.

​​
Right, so having a look at the Jersey regs as an example: seems like no 2/8 day test is needed. Would the UK regs override in this case I wonder, necessitating the tests?

A quick look at hotels on booking.com, cheapest was 43 GBP a night in Aug in Jersey. Not sure about the other isles/other times.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Newbtravelle
Right, so having a look at the Jersey regs as an example: seems like no 2/8 day test is needed. Would the UK regs override in this case I wonder, necessitating the tests?

A quick look at hotels on booking.com, cheapest was 43 GBP a night in Aug in Jersey. Not sure about the other isles/other times.
Yes, so if you transited to Jersey you wouldn't need the day 2&8 tests and you would be outside the jurisdiction of the SI for England when in Jersey.

I think in a sense the amendment sounds like it is just clarifying that you wouldn't need the day 2&8 tests for England if transiting to Jersey - atm it is arguable that you do since the transit exemption only applies if passing through to transit to somewhere outside the CTA, although clearly that wouldn't make much sense when going to Jersey tbh.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Yes, so if you transited to Jersey you wouldn't need the day 2&8 tests and you would be outside the jurisdiction of the SI for England when in Jersey.

I think in a sense the amendment sounds like it is just clarifying that you wouldn't need the day 2&8 tests for England if transiting to Jersey - atm it is arguable that you do since the transit exemption only applies if passing through to transit to somewhere outside the CTA, although clearly that wouldn't make much sense when going to Jersey tbh.
yes makes sense it being a clarification
Old Jun 25, 2021, 2:29 pm
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
This is very helpful. At present you do need to pay for the UK day 2 and day 8 tests if transiting through the UK to Jersey (because airside transit is not possible and you must clear immigration in the UK before connecting to a CTA destination). This is in spite of the fact that you are not in the UK on the days in question and therefore don’t actually need to take the tests. I put mine in the bin (Jersey operates its own testing system on arrival and subsequently, depending on vaccination status). This amendment just takes account of the ridiculous situation where you have to pay for tests that you won’t be taking.
Newbtravelle likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks for this, as it seems to answer one of my uncertainties! We will (BA permitting) be travelling ANU-LHR-JER, with a same-day transfer at LHR and bags checked through to JER. We have no problems re-entering JE as double-vaxxed residents, but I have been suffering from lack of clarity on what happens when we arrive at LHR. We will have had a pre-departure PCR test in AG, but what next?

Do we just head for LHR Flight Connections and remain Airside? Will we have to cross the UK Border and enter UK?

Clarity from the knowledgeable here would be much appreciated!
Old Jun 26, 2021, 4:32 am

You will have to do immigration at T5 as you will be entering the common travel area but I think you will be able to use the separate immigration for UK/DUB connections which I suspect has also now been signed for JER connections too. Based on that you can stay airside.

You will need to do a UK plf.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thanks, KARFA ... I guessed you would have the answer!
I hope I can find our way to the right place at LHR!
Loads of on-line forms to be filled in, then, for UK and JE. I just hope the internet in AG is better than it was last time!!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Thanks, KARFA ... I guessed you would have the answer!
I hope I can find our way to the right place at LHR!
Loads of on-line forms to be filled in, then, for UK and JE. I just hope the internet in AG is better than it was last time!!
Won’t you go landside at LHR for a puff before the next flight !?
T8191 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Great info thanks , I’m going to guernsey next weekend
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
You will have to do immigration at T5 as you will be entering the common travel area but I think you will be able to use the separate immigration for UK/DUB connections which I suspect has also now been signed for JER connections too. Based on that you can stay airside.

You will need to do a UK plf.
I haven't tried, but was curious what happens with a transit XXX-LHR-DUB ( airside) at Heathrow at the moment

The relevant options when you fill up the form at the start are

- Stay in the UK
- Change flights in the UK within 24 hours, without going through UK border control

For Dublin ( or Channel Islands ) neither of these two options are relevant are they - since you will not be remaining in the UK but there is an immigration check at flight connections (I've only done this occasionally but there is a check and you also have to do the biometric photo stuff?) so you are 'going through border control'

I guess you'd still select the latter, and by doing so then the obligation for Days 2/8 testing etc. evaporates
Old Jun 27, 2021, 12:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
For Dublin ( or Channel Islands ) neither of these two options are relevant are they - since you will not be remaining in the UK but there is an immigration check at flight connections (I've only done this occasionally but there is a check and you also have to do the biometric photo stuff?) so you are 'going through border control'

I guess you'd still select the latter, and by doing so then the obligation for Days 2/8 testing etc. evaporates
The form is going to be updated next week but in the mean time I would indeed select the "transit" option. The address used should make it clear that Dublin is the end of the trip.
EvilDoctorK likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.