Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US citizen transiting LHR in October

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:09 am
Original Poster

US citizen transiting LHR in October

I am sure this has been asked, but I am traveling from MIA_LHR_BCN in October. In LHR I have a 4 hour layover and will be going from terminal 5 to terminal 3. Other than the requirements for Barcelona, is there any testing requirements to transit through LHR?
Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
[QUOTE=wesport;33330039]I am sure this has been asked, but I am traveling from MIA_LHR_BCN in October. In LHR I have a 4 hour layover and will be going from terminal 5 to terminal 3. Other than the requirements for Barcelona, is there any testing requirements to transit through

Hi

You need a negative covid test to fly into the uk and to fill out a passenger locator form.
Also at the moment iirc all ba departures are from t5 ( bcn used fo be t3) but there are plans to use t3 but with t3 being used for arrivals from red list countries things can change so would keep an eye out.

4 hrs is plenty of time for a transfer
Regards

Tbs
Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Probably best to ask again a week or two before travel. These things are bound to change.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
It's unlikely that BCN will be departing from T3 by October. Travel would have to be pretty close to normal for BA to have needed to move flights back to T3. (and I rather doubt October will be "normal")

At the moment, you need to have a negative test to transit LHR, but it can be one of the cheaper antigen tests if you do your research. https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control...and-transiting Vaccination status is irrelevant.

This could all change before October.
The _Banking_Scot and Cymro like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
As much as it pains me to say it, I wouldn't bother with any transit in the UK. Save the hassle and transit in the US if you have to.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Schwann
As much as it pains me to say it, I wouldn't bother with any transit in the UK. Save the hassle and transit in the US if you have to.
Agreed. An IB flight via MAD would make much more sense.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:15 am
Original Poster

With 4 months to go, I think I will wait before I make any changes. Used my travel together voucher.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Schwann
What is the current hassle if you transit international T5-T5?
Any different from before?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
AFAIK, no additional hassle because of COVID except for removing shoes at security.
I don't understand why some previous posters has mentioned a transfer in LHR as a hassle if the OP is planning to do an airside transfer without entering the UK.
aztimm and KARFA like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Firstly I believe everyone needs a test, even in you are in international transit. Of course, if your destination requires one it makes no odds as you should already have a negative test to hand.. but if there are options to avoid that expense/hassle which may include transiting in an alternative country/city within the US, then I would certainly take it. Secondly (and probably the main point) the UK government has a tendency to change the rules at wanton - and usually to the benefit of the traveller or travel industry.

By the way, I'm not against testing.. I voluntarily do it twice a week here in the UK. The UK government is just very unpredictable.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
AFAIK, no additional hassle because of COVID except for removing shoes at security.
I don't understand why some previous posters has mentioned a transfer in LHR as a hassle if the OP is planning to do an airside transfer without entering the UK.
it’s even better, no need to remove shoes now
asnovici, aztimm and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Personally I would say testing requirements - and associated expenses - plus uncertainty regarding transit rules. CWS recap in another thread is very useful and informative, but until they drop the 2+8 days test requirements for transit with just 1 overnight stays I would prefer something else to LHR*.

*not a problem since BRU has no BA service at least until half of July.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Now I'm confused, do you really need a negative Covid test for airside to airside transit at LHR (T5-T5)? BA just says "Entering UK needs a negative test". However I am not entering UK.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by spgaston
Now I'm confused, do you really need a negative Covid test for airside to airside transit at LHR (T5-T5)? BA just says "Entering UK needs a negative test". However I am not entering UK.
Hi,

Yes you do ( it is on the government site)

Regards

TBS
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
No, you don't have removing the shoes at security. You can keep your shoes on. Once you go through security and then go downstairs to the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.