Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrongly Denied Boarding to Spain at LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2021, 11:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Thank you I had read that but now I now who is was (fascinating bit about his exhumation) in what context would one use it? Sorry to be dim - but it seems to have been used by two ex-Presidents and before this afternoon I have never heard the expression.
I found this researching on google*. it sound correct, seeing how it was used here.
What does it mean to win one for the Gipper?
To pursue success or victory in honor of someone else. This set phrase refers to celebrated Notre Dame football player George Gipp ("the Gipper").
*very useful to find meanings when English isn't one native language.
estnet likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 11:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The other phrase that has come from the same locale is the "Hail Mary Pass" - which means if you do something incredibly risky when there are few other options, just once in a while it will work, so it's worth a go.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
OP: Do you also have the QR code which needs to be obtained from the Spain Travel Health portal?
If you don't, and the airline lets you board, in my experience you can fill out a paper form with the information (they really want your address in Spain for contact tracing and want you to affirm that you have not been in contact with COVID during the past XX days). At Barajas there's a desk right next to where the QR codes are scanned where people fill out the paper form. My data is from May 23rd. YMMV.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 12, 2021 at 2:01 pm Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Jun 12, 2021, 12:54 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The other phrase that has come from the same locale is the "Hail Mary Pass" - which means if you do something incredibly risky when there are few other options, just once in a while it will work, so it's worth a go.
Notre Dame = Our Lady

I get that. Thank you all - I have learned something today!
Old Jun 12, 2021, 12:56 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by spainflyer
OP: Do you also have the QR code which needs to be obtained from the Spain Travel Health portal?
If you don't, and the airline lets you board, in my experience you can fill out a paper form with the information (they really want your address in Spain for contact tracing and want you to affirm that you have not been in contact with COVID during the past XX days). At Barajas there's a desk right next to where the QR codes are scanned where people fill out the paper form. My data is from May 23rd. YMMV.
Yes - I've watched them doing that in Alicante. I find it extraordinary that people get that far without the full correct documentation - mistakes I understand, not making sure I do not comprehend especially in these complicated times

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 12, 2021 at 2:02 pm Reason: Repair quotation frames and attribution
Old Jun 12, 2021, 1:16 pm

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
As a British American dual national, currently in the UK and spends a lot of time in Europe during the summer, and who has been double vaccinated in the USA and carries the said CDC card - my state offers no alternative - this discussion is very interesting. For now I should be fine - visiting Spain in a couple of weeks, as I have a UK passport. But should proof of a vaccination become necessary, it will be interesting to see how the CDC card is handled, and whether the US Federal Govt change tack and go forward with some sort of internationally recognized “certificate” of proof.
If the CDC card is deemed not acceptable by some airlines, such as BA, it might be necessary to look elsewhere for travel requirements. We shall see.

But I can’t imagine the Feds will not come up with something, or put pressure on airlines or foreign governments to allow the CDC card to become a USC’s proof of vaccination so vaccinated USC’s can freely travel.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob

Doc Copper
Originally Posted by spainflyer
The OP in the first post in this thread stated that he had the QR at check in.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33320339-post1.html
remaxmac likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Jun 12, 2021 at 2:03 pm Reason: Repair quotation frames and attribution
Old Jun 12, 2021, 8:02 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by tobsw
Why do you all feel SO empathic towards BA, when BA did clearly make a massive mistake? We all are aware of the current pandemic, but BA should be aware of changes in entry requirements and the required documents.

Why should the OP not claim compensation, having arrived almost 8 h late to the destination (based on current schedule), because BA didn't get it right?

In this situation I think the OP did its homework clearly - did absolutely nothing wrong -, while BA did fail massively, I would absolutely seek monetary compensation.
[emp added]

Hardly a massive fail. A clear fail, but it's not like they killed a transported pet or mislaid a solo travelling child or some such. Claim whatever is due under 261 and move on. Angsting over it and Karen-ing about the hugeness of the failure is faintly .... ridiculous.
:D! likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 8:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Flying from the US to LHR and onward to Spain on a single ticketed PNR as a US citizen with a Spain-accepted CDC card is far short of being a Hail Mary pass. Thus my surprise that BA messed this up when and where it did. In football — as in what we call football in the US — this was no Hail Mary by anyone; rather it was more like a lame fumble by BA.
prof, estnet, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 10:29 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Maybe because … the CDC cards are a joke?

If I were a country I wouldn’t accept them either.
Old Jul 14, 2021, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Podcat
Maybe because … the CDC cards are a joke?

If I were a country I wouldn’t accept them either.
This probably strays into OMNI territory, but this business with the CDC cards being a joke is just silly. The card is the record issued by the competent national authority. Can it be forged? Yes, but so can (even more easily) the Covid test results that have suddenly become indispensable to travel. Everything can be forged, including passports. Those old yellow fever vaccination cards could also be forged. Anyone can skip quarantine for that matter. The whole Covid-era travel system is deeply flawed at almost every level, and often just functions as the medical equivalent of the “security” theater we’ve all become accustomed to over the years.
dcmike, N1120A, zanderblue and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.