Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 286 [SFO-LHR] cancelled for tonight June 9, 21. Engine damage on tarmac

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, VS

Apparently the jetty hit the left engine so there is a hole in the cowl.

The gate agents told everyone to go to the check in counter for rebooking. The rebooking agents are doing nothing. No accomodations, no rebooking. On the BA App flight shows Departed. Agent says rebook from Manage My flight. People are visibly upset
Poor show from BA so far.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 9:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
That's SFO-LHR, if anyone wondered.
gcuk, wrp96, BearX220 and 11 others like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Same flight tomorrow but will UK govt allow?

Given that the Covid tests taken on Monday morning will be out of the 3 day window, including mine.

Fortunately I took a 2nd test on Tue just to be safe. That might come in handy.
​​​​​
SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:15 pm

Been canceled there on the same flight. Had the same experience with the ground crew. Found calling the BA UK number directly helped if the US office is shut.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

I have had good luck myself with the UK executive club customer service. Will call them in a few hours. Would be great if I can push the return out a few days to make up for the lost time.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:45 am
Original Poster

BA sent an email stating that I'm rebooked on BA 286 for 6/10 but MMB does not show that. Talking to EC in UK and they don't see it either. In fact they say that flight is not even in the system. So my onward flight to ATH can't be changed from 6/11 to 6/12.

I think there will be some very frustrated customers at SFO tomorrow.

My son who was in 10A got a good picture of the engine damage. I was in 10k.

Waiting to find out if BA will pay for the new Covid tests that are required.

BA did put the passangers in hotel for tonight with the promise that they can all fly tomorrow.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by mantan_rtw
BA sent an email stating that I'm rebooked on BA 286 for 6/10 but MMB does not show that. Talking to EC in UK and they don't see it in the system either. In fact they say that flight is not even in the system. So my onward flight to ATH can't be changed from 6/11 to 6/12.
It's not in the system because there is no new flight, your flight is just delayed exactly 24 hours now.The e-mail says rebooked, but its just confirmation of the same flight you were already on, only delayed. The ground staff at the airport will sort out your onward flight to ATH, or you can call BA back and tell them to look at the new scheduled times for your existing flight and they will see that it was scheduled to arrive LHR 13:45 local on the 10th and is now planned to arrive at 13:00 local on the 11th.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Oh and just in case you are wondering, no it won't be the same plane! ZBKA was already planned to go out to SFO today on a cargo only run, so that will operate your now delayed flight.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
On e You get to ATH don’t forget to claim your EU261 compensation and any excess duty of care costs for accommodation/food/drink. I’d have thought that new PCR tests if needed was a consequential loss so not part of duty of care or EU261 though BA May make a good will payment. If not it’s a case for the travel insurance.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Will EU 261 apply given that this problem was beyond BA? I was not sure. I am sure BA would claim extraordinary circumstances.

Unfortunately I called the EC last night and rebooked for 6/13 because the agent told me that I am not confirmed on the delayed flight. I should have talked to the ground staff. I told him the ground staff told everyone to call BA. He said he can't help on that.

That change is now in my booking but he we also agreed to change the return flights from 6/22 and 6/23 to 6/26 and 6/27. ATH-LHR, LHR-SFO. That later part is not showing up.

Looks like I have to make another call because we don't want to go to Greece for 1 week.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 8:56 am

I'm pretty sure this is considered a controllable delay and would come under EU261.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:01 am

This is a technical delay caused by damage on the ramp; unfortunately being distracted and leaving a jetty parked outside its very-clearly-marked parking position is not an excuse. I think OP won't have too much trouble claiming against BA but they might play hardball on it. An acquaintance who was involved in a similar issue (when another careless jetty operator left the jetty outside its rest area and thus made a hole in a A380 cowling in MIA) had to go to a small claims court where BA was forced to pay.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold

Waiting to find out if BA will pay for the new Covid tests that are required.

BA did put the passangers in hotel for tonight with the promise that they can all fly tomorrow.
I bet they will not cover the COVID test - consequential loss, etc etc....
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by DominicB
I bet they will not cover the COVID test - consequential loss, etc etc....
For what it’s worth, I was on a 24h delay out of ANU and BA got an exemption from Border Force on the Covid test requirement.

Makes a mockery of the whole thing but hey ho.

And no consequential loss. There was a guy connecting through Gatwick onto EasyJet to go on a 2-week cruise in Spain and they just said “tough luck, speak to EasyJet”. I guess that’s what travel insurance is for.
mantan_rtw likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Will EU 261 apply given that this problem was beyond BA? I was not sure. I am sure BA would claim extraordinary circumstances.

Unfortunately I called the EC last night and rebooked for 6/13 because the agent told me that I am not confirmed on the delayed flight. I should have talked to the ground staff. I told him the ground staff told everyone to call BA. He said he can't help on that.

That change is now in my booking but he we also agreed to change the return flights from 6/22 and 6/23 to 6/26 and 6/27. ATH-LHR, LHR-SFO. That later part is not showing up.
And there you just forfeited your right to comp. for delay as you have requested to be rebook to a different date.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.