Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Greece

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2021, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
BA and Greece

Hmm.... I have a nice deal via BA Hols for a week in Zakynthos , departing 20th June.
Problem is, I need to pay the balance by 30th May, and new green list won't be announced until early June.

If I were travelling on my own, orange status does not bother me, but travel with the Mrs.

The Telegraphs has reported a couple days ago that "Ministers have ordered a separate risk assessment of the Spanish and Greek islands which means they could be opened up before the mainland."

I am split between rebooking to another destination and holding my nerve (I assume I only lose the original £120 deposit if I cancel 24 hours before departure, and get voucher for the rest).

what should I do ..... Anyone in similar position?
Old May 24, 2021, 12:07 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Same for us, but to Kos on the 18th. Balance due Friday. Decisions decisions!
Old May 24, 2021, 12:14 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
I’m pretty sure if you cancel within the 3 weeks you don’t get anything back...

However, if the rules allowed travel to the island when you booked and they have since changed, you might be eligible for a refund.
Old May 24, 2021, 12:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The next formal review point of the country list is due by 7 June, but the data is being collected this week, so there may be more information towards the end of the week. There has been some analysis of current data in the UK Arrivals thread in the Coronavirus forum, see in particular 7949 and 7573. At the moment it doesn't look like Greece would make the cut, though perhaps individual islands may do so.

See the main Cancel / Rebook thread on the situation with BAH bookings, but in brief if Greece remains Amber at some point BAH will almost certainly offer a full refund by default.
Old May 24, 2021, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Based on the very very few that made green, and those "safer" than Greece which did not, don't hold your breath on anything we want being added on the next round. Switch to Faro !
Old May 24, 2021, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Based on the very very few that made green, and those "safer" than Greece which did not, don't hold your breath on anything we want being added on the next round. Switch to Faro !
Impossible, I just tried to call BA Holidays to be greeted by a message that "they are not taking calls right now due do overload of enquires" (paraphrasing) and the call was rudely auto-disconnected.
Then when I go on line to see cancellation options for the booking, it asks to call that number.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:17 am

Is it possible to take a voucher once you've paid the final balance?
Old May 24, 2021, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cosmo74
I don't know, is it? I cannot do anything online, all changes must be made via the phone. There is no option for voucher, cancellation options simply show the telephone number.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cosmo74
In limited circumstances yes, connected with changing restrictions on travel. The core BWC offer relates to a 3 week cut-off, so typically the deposit, and assuming the hotel booking is flexible, which many are at the moment. More information in the main thread.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In limited circumstances yes, connected with changing restrictions on travel. The core BWC offer relates to a 3 week cut-off, so typically the deposit, and assuming the hotel booking is flexible, which many are at the moment. More information in the main thread.
Thank you CWS.
I will try to call them each day until the balance is due on the 30th. If unsuccessful to reach BA, I will ask AMEX for chargeback, this is as good a reason as it gets, being unable to speak to the service provider, cancel online, or do anything really. I thought BA Holidays were quite good, relatively speaking, compared to others.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by OGG flyer
Thank you CWS.
I will try to call them each day until the balance is due on the 30th. If unsuccessful to reach BA, I will ask AMEX for chargeback, this is as good a reason as it gets, being unable to speak to the service provider, cancel online, or do anything really. I thought BA Holidays were quite good, relatively speaking, compared to others.
The logical thing to so is to leave it until you are nearer the 30th. If nothing else happens, as reported in the other thread, you would get in th next few days an automated text message giving you a refund option. I don't see the point in calling today or tomorrow.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The logical thing to so is to leave it until you are nearer the 30th. If nothing else happens, as reported in the other thread, you would get in th next few days an automated text message giving you a refund option. I don't see the point in calling today or tomorrow.
Again, words of wisdom and calm from CWS, I need to learn from you The Stoic way, it will lower my blood pressure.
I will do as you suggest.
Old May 24, 2021, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called twice yesterday around 17.30 and again today 08.35 both times call answered by Manchester call centre ( / working from home agents!) - you should call early / late and perhaps try a different number.
Old May 24, 2021, 3:40 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Just to say with BAH, even though MMB tells you to call for both change/refund options, the T&Cs do say that for a date change, and goes on to say to cancel for a voucher follow the link and fill out the form for a FTV

1. To make a “date change only” to a British Airways Holidays booking please call our contact centre. To “cancel your booking and exchange for a voucher”, which enables the flexibility to change your whole booking (destination, dates etc), please complete the form here.”

FTV link

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...1&wfpId=covidn

Just to also add, even though it may take a few days to process this FTV, they do state they will honour the voucher from the date the form was submitted, so for your deposit which is secure until 30th, you need to make sure you submit the form by that date to get it wrapped up in a FTV, if you continue to have issues calling them it shouldn’t be an issue you’ll get the deposit back into the voucher.

Last edited by cheshirepete; May 24, 2021 at 3:45 am
Old May 24, 2021, 4:18 am
Original Poster

I didn't know about this link, thank you, added to my "Favorites". I will use it if I still can't speak to/hear from anyone by the 30th.

This booking already had £300 discount applied to it from another voucher (which was just an email with a booking reference rather than a "real" voucher" because it was generated in the very early days of Covid).

I am assuming the new voucher will include the value of that voucher + deposit, although perhaps I should not count on it..

Originally Posted by cheshirepete
Just to say with BAH, even though MMB tells you to call for both change/refund options, the T&Cs do say that for a date change, and goes on to say to cancel for a voucher follow the link and fill out the form for a FTV

1. To make a “date change only” to a British Airways Holidays booking please call our contact centre. To “cancel your booking and exchange for a voucher”, which enables the flexibility to change your whole booking (destination, dates etc), please complete the form here.”

FTV link

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...1&wfpId=covidn

Just to also add, even though it may take a few days to process this FTV, they do state they will honour the voucher from the date the form was submitted, so for your deposit which is secure until 30th, you need to make sure you submit the form by that date to get it wrapped up in a FTV, if you continue to have issues calling them it shouldn’t be an issue you’ll get the deposit back into the voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.