BA2645 MLA-LGW: Bisonrav, S_W_S, WickedStepMother+1, PGBerkshire
BA2644 LHR-MLA: Garimi

12th December

BA2645 MLA-LGW: IFE Wizard, Cymro
BA2645 MLA-LHR: Garimi

Hotels

St Julian's Bay Hotel: Bisonrav 3-4
HIX St Julian's: Bisonrav 10-11, PGBerkshire - 10/11
Hilton Hotel: Cymro, IFE Wizard 25/11-28/11, S_W_S 4-11, WickedStepMother+1 25-11, Garimi 11-12

Print Wikipost

A nice BA weekend in Malta, ruined. Twice

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2021, 6:40 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Thanks - looks like there is going to be a lot of variation in hotels. I did stay in Sliema once, the boat trip is a good way to get across to Valetta, and there are some nice cafes down at the waters edge.
Old May 20, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
On our last visit to Malta over Christmas 2019 Mr WSM and I discovered the Topsy Kiosk on the Sliema waterfront, near the road over to Manoel Island. We visited a few times and spent hours relaxing in the sunshine over a glass of wine and plate of chips, reading the daily papers and enjoying the view.

86BA7 likes this.
Old May 20, 2021, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
There's a nice summary of the story of the "Faith, Hope and Charity" air defence of Malta at this link. It's a story that's drifted out of popular memory somewhat, but I remember as a teenager visiting Malta in 1977 being fascinated by it, and I bought Kenneth Poolman's book named after the legend and read it avidly.

It was only 20 years later when I was investigating my family history I discovered that the illustrious F. H. M Maynard, AOC Med in 1940, who had found himself an AOC without aircraft when everything was sent back to bolster forces for the Battle of Britain, was a very close relative. Like me, he is descended from the similarly illustrious John Clarkson RN, who gives me a very good excuse to visit Sierra Leone, but that's a tale for another do. He is my second cousin twice removed, his son Sir Nigel Maynard developed Harrier tactics in the 1970s. Another son died in a crash at an air display just after the war.

The story of Maynard's defence strategy was really one of symbolism, opportunism, and careful resource management. It was important to do something, anything initially so that Italy didn't roll over Malta unopposed, and hence the Sea Gladiators. He was extremely careful to avoid losses, directing the pilots not to engage the fighters on pain of an almighty rollocking if they did - making himself somewhat unpopular in the process. The other plank of his approach was to ensure that any aircraft landing on Malta for whatever reason - usually refueling - was retained for the defence, including a number of Sea Hurricanes. And with this approach, he built up enough of a critical mass that the British government became obliged to add to the forces.

And not just defence - after Maynard had purloined some Swordfish, Malta became a base for attacks on the Italian fleet, culminating in the attack on Taranto harbour which effectively removed the Italian Navy from the theatre of combat.

The story of the air siege of Malta is much more about the people of the Island than the defenders. For the islanders, the reward for Maynard's relatively successful improvisation of a defence was to be bombed incessantly and to starve. Convoys of supplies found it near impossible to make it to relieve the island, and were few and far between, and in the later part of 1940 and into 1941 when experienced German pilots joined the fray, the defences were stretched to breaking point and bombing was almost unopposed at times. There are some fascinating exhibits in the War Museum in Valletta, and you can go in some of the tunnels from which the defence was organised, and in which the Maltese sheltered. When I went in 1977, the evidence of the bombardment was still very present in the form of derelict buildings and pock marked stonework; in 2017 when I returned, EU funding had very much smartened the place up. However the ruins of the Opera House had been left ruinous, but redeveloped into a lovely venue for shows, and a memorial to the Siege. Not Malta's first siege by a long chalk, and this story is also well told in the War Museum.

One of the Gladiators is preserved in the War Museum, restored by British sailors I think with more enthusiasm than skill, as well as the remnants of a Spitfire fished out of the Med in the 1970s. There has been some amazing underwater archeological survey work done, culminating in a fascinating online exhibition of 3D representations of some of the aircraft in the seas around the island, as well as many other underwater discoveries.

Despite my interest, I somehow managed to miss the Malta Aviation Museum in Ta'Qali, and so this is very much the focus of at least one of my trips. There also seems to be the possibility of a Wingly light aircraft flight around the Island which I'd love to do, So for me, this won't be all drinking and sitting by the pool, and hopefully this stirs a bit of interest amongst others in getting out and about and seeing more of the Island.
T8191, wrp96, alex67500 and 2 others like this.
Old May 20, 2021, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've never been to Malta...never had the notion. However after watching Bettany Hughes present the Wonders of Malta on BBC World I now have the urge. Wonderful series as long as you don't allow your mind to wander!!

Haagen Daz likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 3:55 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I've never been to Malta...never had the notion. However after watching Bettany Hughes present the Wonders of Malta on BBC World I now have the urge. Wonderful series as long as you don't allow your mind to wander!!
Ha! Knowing you I am sure that an urge to visit Malta is not all that this programme evokes. I am seriously thinking of inviting myself but that would be ruined threefold for the OP!

I just have this foreboding about the squabbling over 1 A & C that would erupt so since 24 carat cowardice runs down my spine I will just have to gatecrash elsewhere.
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Ha! Knowing you I am sure that an urge to visit Malta is not all that this programme evokes. I am seriously thinking of inviting myself but that would be ruined threefold for the OP!

I just have this foreboding about the squabbling over 1 A & C that would erupt so since 24 carat cowardice runs down my spine I will just have to gatecrash elsewhere.
You being on the trip would more than compensate for the disruptions, Pucci. Indeed you would be perfectly welcome to have my seat.

(I might still be in it however)
Old May 21, 2021, 6:13 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
POUG offer was there this morning, so that's done. £137 return. If anyone wanted a window exit seats there's one free on both flights (10th/11th).
Old May 21, 2021, 6:35 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
You being on the trip would more than compensate for the disruptions, Pucci. Indeed you would be perfectly welcome to have my seat.

(I might still be in it however)
Might you indeed? Might I remind you that this is the BA Forum and we do not discuss sitting on top of each othe or any other scandalous or louche conduct.. Nevertheless, the very idea appeals as I for one never forget a face that I have sat on.

Just imagine us all turning a modest A320 into an airborne charabanc with all that Champagne and Gin. I can imagine where all those wretched masks would end up.

I wonder if there is rugby that weekend as Him Indoors will not even notice that I have gone.
wrp96, S_W_S and bisonrav like this.
Old May 21, 2021, 6:54 am
Original Poster

I remember Bettany Hughes as a young cub reporter for a short lived Brighton local cable channel.

She's certainly developed considerably since then.
HIDDY likes this.
Old May 21, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
POUG also landed.

£69 out and £68 back on both 3/4th and 10/11th.

320 TP for £440.

If all being well, I will actually meet some of you!
T8191, wrp96, alex67500 and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR
I'm in Bali the weekend before so should really stay at home....
Old May 21, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Based on the (lack) of seats at the front - there is a lot of Golds on this trip
I think ill have the lowest CIV score in CE
Old May 21, 2021, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teledude
You can't miss a POUG of this quality. And think how dismal the weather will feel at home after Bali.

Plus it's a pretty much nailed on randomise button to get a free trip to Malta at a time of your choosing up to end of May 2022 when the inevitable LGW cancellation hits. YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE
wrp96, alex67500, teledude and 1 others like this.
Old May 21, 2021, 5:27 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by teledude
Well the current legislation allows you to leave your home if you're leaving the country again...
Old May 22, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Might you indeed? Might I remind you that this is the BA Forum and we do not discuss sitting on top of each othe or any other scandalous or louche conduct.. Nevertheless, the very idea appeals as I for one never forget a face that I have sat on.

Just imagine us all turning a modest A320 into an airborne charabanc with all that Champagne and Gin. I can imagine where all those wretched masks would end up.

I wonder if there is rugby that weekend as Him Indoors will not even notice that I have gone.
if this sitting did occur on said A320, would this be a valid excuse for one to remove one’s mask as technically one would be eating at the time? 😵

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.