Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Forty Winks Sleeping Area in GF

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2021, 12:55 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by flatlander
I feel the CCR Boardroom was very good for the sort of person who's extremely loud on the phone but also knows it (and quite a few loud people do know they're loud), so it served them well for taking a phone call or even having a conversation with someone without disturbing the entire lounge. Areas that are quite useful.

I've also seen people use the kids playroom in GF T3 for free and frank exchanges of views on the phone (when no kids were in the room) and I felt that similarly was an idea that suited everyone.

I feel we should not be rid of all such areas.
Nor Dear do I. I would love to have some examples of Free and Frank Discussion. We do not practice this in this house. He does what I say. Life is so much more tranquil.

I really am sorry to be so dens, but what is the GF Lounge? Is this the First Lounge or a hallowed sanctum from which we mere mortals are excluded?
Old May 17, 2021, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Nor Dear do I. I would love to have some examples of Free and Frank Discussion. We do not practice this in this house. He does what I say. Life is so much more tranquil.

I really am sorry to be so dens, but what is the GF Lounge? Is this the First Lounge or a hallowed sanctum from which we mere mortals are excluded?
Hi,

Yes gf Iis a shortened version of galleries first

Regards

Tbs
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Is this as well as, or instead of, the cabanas?
As far as I know, "as well as"
AnaTravel likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I would add a "facetimers will be shot" sign......

"IM IN THE SLEEP PODS, YEAH, FIRST CLASS INNIT".......

Please no.
Agreed. Typically these “quiet areas” are ruined by one or more bozos talking on the phone, watching a video, playing a game, etc. I’m not sure why some are so inconsiderate and rude.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 3:37 pm

https://onemileatatime.com/british-a...erm=2021-05-17

According to the above article, the sleeping pods are indeed in addition to the cabanas. Allocating twenty minutes of' 'sleeping' time seems absurdly inadequate to me.
RJD1983, Lefly and lcylocal like this.
Old May 18, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Just seen these pods this morning. I have to say that when the area is empty (as it is at the moment) it’s a really nice calm place to be. The photos from the OP and my photos make it look brighter than it is - it’s really relaxing. I was tempted to try it out but think I might have missed my flight! Maybe when it’s full with a queue of tired customers waiting, it might be less relaxing 😌

Old May 18, 2021, 7:32 am

Hey this looks like a pretty decent setup. I can't see but if there is but a small table next to each pod would be handy to keep say a drink or glasses.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
This was empty on Wed. I could see the seats in the corner being the popular ones as they are away from the noise of the main lounge.

aks120
Old Mar 29, 2022, 12:57 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Just wanted to share my experience with these pods - tried it out last Saturday in the corner one tucked far away from the entrace. Was surprised that all were available, since I came in from JFK, I thought I would try this out. Conclusion: I did not after the default 20 mins feel rested at all. [possibly it could also be that I did not use it as designed to be used?]

Some of the reasons:
- even with the pod closed - lots of external noise audible (e.g plates, footsteps, etc)
- instructions were not that straightforward
- control knobs quite difficult to use (even the green start button took a while to be found) due to the low lighting and no backlight for the knobs
- the background music playing in the room, although supposed to create a calm atmosphere, was more of a distraction

Cheers
Old Jun 29, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Unusually I was in transit for about 10 hours in T5 last Saturday, nursing a minor hangover.

TL;DR: these were better than expected. I felt substantially refreshed afterwards.

I didn't see anything saying I could only use them for 20 minutes, I had about 2.5 hours on one, with about an hour of that asleep, the rest dozing while listening to a podcast or two with noise cancelling earbuds. 20 minutes would be useless.

As I had noise cancelling headphones, external noise wasn't a problem for me.

Agree with the previous poster, regarding lack of instructions, and unintuitive controls: it's all none-obvious, you need to invoke a pin-the-tail on the donkey strategy, random button pushing to achieve a desirable result. The timer display and controls are hidden when you're sitting/lying in the chair. As it's dark in there, you can't see what the buttons are meant to do.

It was non-obvious that the visor is hand operated.

The timer seemed to go up to 2 hours, but by default it's set to 20 minutes. When the time's up, the seat returns gently to its less flat lounger mode to aid egress, or you can just tap in a bit more time.

The most uncomfortable part of it is that there's nowhere comfortable to put your arms at the side for any period of time other than across your chest or abdomen.

But at least I did manage an hour's sleep, and while the rest of the main lounge area was busy, I had no difficulty in finding a free sleeper.

Last edited by Howard Long; Jun 29, 2023 at 9:28 am
Old Nov 3, 2023, 5:10 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
What happened to Forty Winks? Went through and it was gone, replaced by some manky chairs. The information desk said that they've taken them out of the Concorde Room also. Tell me something better is in the works, or is it the "feet on the sofa" thread all over again?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 5:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I went in today for the first time - it makes no sense to have a sort of business working area in the dark 🤔
BA or bust and Simon Schus like this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, B6 Mosaic 3
Does anyone know if the sleeping pods have returned?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

They were not there in January 2024

Regards
Tbs
Old Mar 18, 2024, 4:57 pm

Programs: BAEC
Shame if these are gone, they're really nice for a quick nap if you've got noise cancelling headphones and can fall asleep listening to something. I'm always a little paranoid if I can't see my bags so i tend to wrap a handle around my wrist or arm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.