Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How are North Americans utilizing British Airways' network?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How are North Americans utilizing British Airways' network?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2021, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Confus
One big flow I’ve never understood is NE US to South America via London. NYC-LON-Brazil is one of the bigger longhaul connecting flows.
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
This would seem like quite a strange phenomenon. Where are you getting this information?
Originally Posted by Bear96
I'd be interested in knowing that too. I have never heard of anyone doing that.
I find that hard to believe as well. In fact, that's total nonsense. Maybe if it was La Première or even Lufthansa First, but 24 hours on BA? Haha. Sure.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I usually book my trips to India from the states on BA , get the aarp discount , and BA gives me better EQD than booking on AA with BA as a code share
1Aturnleft and lsquare like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
This would seem like quite a strange phenomenon. Where are you getting this information?
I can well believe it. We flyertalkers are a strange phenomenon afterall!
Old May 14, 2021, 7:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
I find that hard to believe as well. In fact, that's total nonsense. Maybe if it was La Première or even Lufthansa First, but 24 hours on BA? Haha. Sure.
I agree. Plus the schedule is not optimized for this right? Many of the BA SA departures are evening...
Old May 14, 2021, 9:31 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by lsquare
I flew a lot of tpac flights for my international travel pre-COVID. I know for people that are living in the Western US, they benefit from the cheap fares that the Chinese carriers offer to China. Of course for someone that have BA/OW status, they'll want to fly on BA or a OW carrier. I just want to focus on BA specifically for this thread. For those of you that are living in North America and have BA status, which routes are you mainly flying with BA? Which routes does BA offer competitive pricing across all of its cabins? Pre-COVID and even now, it's tough to find competitive pricing for tpac flights on BA since they all have to connect in London and I guess this just adds to the distance. So my guess would be mainly tatl routes going to Europe and Africa?
I live near Tampa and pre-Covid would make 6 or 7 trips to the UK each year and 2 trips to India usually off the back of my time in the UK. Pricing out of NYC or BOS usually presented the best pricing options to LHR and beyond but I would use Matrix ITA to search for most possibilities. I would rarely (almost never) take the TPA-LGW flight as I usually needed to connect in LHR and didn't like the bus sector. When combined with the AARP and Chase 10 discounts it was normally possible to find a reasonable fare. I fly mainly AA in the USA but am now starting to fly AS too with the direct flights they have from Tampa to the west coast USA. I sometimes use QR if going direct to India or Asia. All in all there's usually quite agreeable oneworld options to most places.
lsquare and Geordie405 like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
For me, it's usually BA direct from LAS to LHR and onwards to NCL. There are no other options (aside from Virgin Atlantic to LGW or MAN or DL / KLM via AMS) so I am pretty much tied to BA / AA when it comes to any transatlantic flying.

I have to be honest though and say that I find ex-US pricing to be extortionate. Pre-COVID I had all my flights booked as being ex-UK having made a single US - UK booking using Avios to get me back to the UK. Booking from the UK was significantly less expensive and the taxes, fees and charges associated with upgrading using Avios were way less.

For any TPAC flights I would never consider BA via LHR. I would book AA / CX as appropriate.
lsquare and squawk like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Geordie405
For me, it's usually BA direct from LAS to LHR and onwards to NCL. There are no other options (aside from Virgin Atlantic to LGW or MAN or DL / KLM via AMS) so I am pretty much tied to BA / AA when it comes to any transatlantic flying.

I have to be honest though and say that I find ex-US pricing to be extortionate. Pre-COVID I had all my flights booked as being ex-UK having made a single US - UK booking using Avios to get me back to the UK. Booking from the UK was significantly less expensive and the taxes, fees and charges associated with upgrading using Avios were way less.

For any TPAC flights I would never consider BA via LHR. I would book AA / CX as appropriate.
It's actually a great idea to use my Avios to book a one-way to the UK and make this work.
Old May 14, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
It's actually a great idea to use my Avios to book a one-way to the UK and make this work.
It does work quite well but you need to plan things quite carefully. From a practical point of view you end up having the "return" potion of your booking (i.e. US to UK) as really being the outward portion of your next US - UK trip. This tends to be fine in "normal" circumstances but, with COVID, we had a lot of linked trips where we were waiting for BA to cancel and then we had a domino effect where we could then go ahead and cancel multiple bookings.

Based on the current climate I doubt I'll be doing that again anytime soon though. I have no BA flights booked at the present time and will only book once the UK puts the US on the "Green" list meaning no self-quarantine. Looking at prices, however, I think my next trip will be in PE and not Business.
lsquare likes this.
Old May 14, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Confus
One big flow I’ve never understood is NE US to South America via London. NYC-LON-Brazil is one of the bigger longhaul connecting flows.
Originally Posted by Bear96
I'd be interested in knowing that too. I have never heard of anyone doing that.
Originally Posted by SFO777
I’d be that one weirdo who did it once... JFK-ORY-LHR-SAO using OpenSkies Biz Bed, Club Europe & Club World. Was great fun!
renila, SFO777, 1Aturnleft and 2 others like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 2:39 am

Programs: Confirmed
It’ll be quite tough to compete with Cathay, ANA, EVA or Singapore on transpacific routes.

UA-NH / DL-KE JVs takes a lot of traffic. Large corporates, who pays a lot for a lot of premium seats, are usually tied in contract.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.