Search

BA Status as an American

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2021, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, AA Platinum
BA Status as an American

Hi All,
I have a chance to earn BA Silver status this year thanks to maybe some international travel with BA. I'll get about 560 tier points from my flights, and 40 from others. Is it worth it though to get BA silver status over AA Platinum status for someone who generally flies American? I'll get my 4 qualifying flights for Silver, but still am unsure on whether I should do Platinum or Silver. Considering I'm short, I don't care about extra legroom seats that Platinum provides, and the upgrades do rarely clear (I was a gold beforehand and have family who have gotten status) so I am leaning toward Silver. What do you guys think?
Old May 9, 2021, 11:45 pm

Some things to think about. If your BA membership resets August 8 or before and you can get 450TP(reduced amount for Silver) before then....you will have Silver for 2 years. Lounge access on domestic AA flights with BA Silver is another benefit that may or may not shift what you choose.
efincomputer and jtc246 like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Lounge Thingy

Originally Posted by hsumh316
Some things to think about. If your BA membership resets August 8 or before and you can get 450TP(reduced amount for Silver) before then....you will have Silver for 2 years. Lounge access on domestic AA flights with BA Silver is another benefit that may or may not shift what you choose.
Yeah lounge benefits is a huge deal for me, but sadly my tier point reset date is August 8, and I'll have to deal with the 600TP. I'll still get 560 though off 1 roundtrip
Old May 10, 2021, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by TheHighFlyer123
Yeah lounge benefits is a huge deal for me, but sadly my tier point reset date is August 8, and I'll have to deal with the 600TP. I'll still get 560 though off 1 roundtrip
I may be wrong about when the reduced threshold ends....someone will come along and correct me.
Old May 10, 2021, 4:03 am
Suspended

Lounge access on domestic itineraries (including Flagship lounges once they reopen) is the biggie I would think.

You do get MCE seating on AA as BAEC Silver (I believe even if booking BE unless they've changed that once again).

You can also earn TP in BE when crediting to BA (on AA, you get nothing that counts towards status).
becks1 likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by 8mh
Lounge access on domestic itineraries (including Flagship lounges once they reopen) is the biggie I would think.

You do get MCE seating on AA as BAEC Silver (I believe even if booking BE unless they've changed that once again).

You can also earn TP in BE when crediting to BA (on AA, you get nothing that counts towards status).
just want to add in case we have a one world emerald (non aa) the increased benefits are

flagship first checkin
Free food and drink in economy
access to first class lounges in the states
Old May 10, 2021, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold
We are US based and have done our status through BA for years now though we mostly fly on AA. As I recall we were able to earn status through BA must faster than we would have with AA and the perks are great. We rarely got upgraded but that wasn't a big deal to me. We were Gold (in the before times ) and therefore Emerald so we had First/Flagship Lounge access, and First check in. AA FA's were always great to offer food and drink when we flew in Economy.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I've been BA Silver for years and use AA almost exclusively for domestic flights. It seems the biggest advantage AA elites would have over me is upgrades--which I understand from reading over the past years has been a watered down benefit. Lounge access is the biggest advantage in my eyes for Silvers and has not been watered down. About five years ago when MCE included exit row seating, I got an exit row seat without a seat in front of me on an overnight flight from Charlotte to Dublin that cost me $258 round trip, but I don't think exit row seats are automatically included in MCE anymore.

Despite the lessening of MCE benefits (which I think applies to AA elites as well), nothing in my experience has made me change my strategy.
Old May 10, 2021, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Silver

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I've been BA Silver for years and use AA almost exclusively for domestic flights. It seems the biggest advantage AA elites would have over me is upgrades--which I understand from reading over the past years has been a watered down benefit. Lounge access is the biggest advantage in my eyes for Silvers and has not been watered down. About five years ago when MCE included exit row seating, I got an exit row seat without a seat in front of me on an overnight flight from Charlotte to Dublin that cost me $258 round trip, but I don't think exit row seats are automatically included in MCE anymore.

Despite the lessening of MCE benefits (which I think applies to AA elites as well), nothing in my experience has made me change my strategy.
Ok, thanks for the info. I think I might stick with this strategy because of how hard aa status is to earn.
Old May 10, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by TheHighFlyer12
3;33240309
Ok, thanks for the info. I think I might stick with this strategy because of how hard aa status is to earn.
Before the pandemic, I generally took three flights to Europe each year, flying premium economy on BA, each earning around 200 tier points roundtrip, to requalify for Silver. I've done the occasional AA flight credited to BA or flown paid J on BA if I was short tier points, but I agree, status on BA is easier to earn than with AA.

BTW, and one data point only, but for a period of time before the pandemic, I was on a run of upgrades BA gave me from WTP to CW. It helps in that regard, I'm sure, that most of my trips are done solo, and I don't have any special requirements for food or assistance. Nevertheless, it is nice to get the occasional upgrade, especially on the overnight flight to Europe.
Old May 10, 2021, 1:01 pm

I believe you also get the 1 piece checked bag allowance that BA Silver/OW Sapphire brings when flying on cheap AA coach handbaggage fares.... this may/may not also be useful to you as a predominantly AA domestic flyer. If you're purchasing AA tickets that include checked baggage then your free allowance also increases by one piece.
Old May 10, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
BA status comes without the EQD requirements that AA imposes on its own members. I am US based and am BAEC Gold / OWE based on earning Tier Points. I couldn't make EP with the requirements that go with that level of status on AA. As others have pointed out, the major drawback would be the lack of upgrades but the major benefit would be lounge access. Don't forget that with AS joining OneWorld that there are now earning / redemption opportunities flying with Alaska as well as AA.
TTmex likes this.
Old May 10, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
I am UA 1K and oneworld is my backup alliance. BA Silver/Gold is a great value in that setting. However, not sure how I am going to handle the 4 BA segments this year with Covid (year ends in Feb 22).
Old May 10, 2021, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by fatlasercat
I am UA 1K and oneworld is my backup alliance. BA Silver/Gold is a great value in that setting. However, not sure how I am going to handle the 4 BA segments this year with Covid (year ends in Feb 22).
Iberia also counts towards the sector count.
You've also got a few BA 5th freedom Caribbean options:

NAS-GCM
NAS-PLS
ANU-SKB
ANU-TAB
Old May 11, 2021, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Iberia also counts towards the sector count.
You've also got a few BA 5th freedom Caribbean options:

NAS-GCM
NAS-PLS
ANU-SKB
ANU-TAB
Thanks for reminding me of those. Might take a carribean trip this year and these can get me extra tier points since I'll reach the segments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.