Wiki Posts
Search

BA vs AA first class from DFW

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
BA vs AA first class from DFW

I have a choice between BA and AA first class flying out of DFW. What does the forum think about these too options? I've read some mixed reviews about AA.

Last edited by biertje; May 3, 2021 at 3:18 pm
Old May 3, 2021, 2:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I like AA out of DFW if it's their 77W in J or F.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by biertje
... I've read some mixed reviews about AA.
But not about BA??
asnovici, bafan, _kurt and 7 others like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
But not about BA??
Well yes that too. But the crew reviews in AA seem to be more miss than hit.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I wouldn’t worry about crew interactions on a shortish night flight. Choose best aircraft / cabin which is scheduled.... subject to change!
golfmad likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Not sure when you are planning to travel but if it's later in the year and AA has re-opened First Dining at DFW, AA in a heartbeat.
If it's award travel, AA as well since AA's taxes and fees would be only $5.60, compared to $700+ on BA.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by SFO777
Not sure when you are planning to travel but if it's later in the year and AA has re-opened First Dining at DFW, AA in a heartbeat.
If it's award travel, AA as well since AA's taxes and fees would be only $5.60, compared to $700+ on BA.
BA F was getting access to FD before, obviously not sure if they'll be granted access once it all opens back up.
SFO777 likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
BA F ...AA J
Cymro likes this.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:17 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Ba f > aa f >/ aa j > ba j
Amil and subsonic001 like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 4:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The two products are quite different, so it really depends on what is more important to you.

The AA suite is designed as an office slash bed environment, so more convenient if you need to spread out an array of paperwork, pens, and paper clips. Food is generally okay and the menu isn’t much different to the business class offering.

The BA service tends to be more personable and polished.

As others have mentioned, both airlines include access to AA’s Flagship Lounge and Flagship Dining at DFW (closed at the moment). The latter is a pleasant cafe environment with a relatively high quantity food and drinks menu. It’s not a place to relax and unwind before boarding though.
PUCCI GALORE and Grande Annee like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Also a reminder that in the current environment AA is not offering First meals on their flights. A passenger who would fly AA Flagship First would receive Flagship Business meals.
Same might apply for blankets, pillows, bedding, etc... but that is a hit or a miss and may vary.

BA has their entire pre-COVID soft-product running at the moment.
Old May 3, 2021, 9:14 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Also a reminder that in the current environment AA is not offering First meals on their flights. A passenger who would fly AA Flagship First would receive Flagship Business meals.
Same might apply for blankets, pillows, bedding, etc... but that is a hit or a miss and may vary.

BA has their entire pre-COVID soft-product running at the moment.
Not that there was much difference before between AA F and J food, maybe an extra starter course. BA F with Do&Co is generally nice.

If it’s the new BA 777 or the 789 I’d prefer that over the AA seat. I have mixed feelings about the AA F seat, it sort of feels designed by committee with a random set of features, but not particularly well thought through. More power outlets if that matters to you. I prefer the AA seat over the older F seat on the BA 777.
Old May 4, 2021, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. We won't be flying until September so hopefully things will have opened up a bit more then.
Old May 4, 2021, 1:31 am
Suspended

Seat 3A on AA's 77W is better than AA F IMO. BA F while nothing special is >>>> AA F. I would go BA.
Spanish likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by biertje
I have a choice between BA and AA first class flying out of DFW. What does the forum think about these too options? I've read some mixed reviews about AA.
One thing I look at is the departure time and arrival time. If I want a decent amount of sleep, I try to take the later flight, which would be closer to my normal sleep times. Normally flight time is ~ 9 hours eastbound. If I am on an earlier BA flight arriving early in the morning at LHR, my entire day is typically off.

I also look at the aircraft flown, although airplane swaps can happen between now and then. My body feels more refreshed after flying long-haul on a A380 or B787 compared to a 777.

I have flown AA F to/from LHR many times and it is more than adequate. The seat definitely has more room than AA Business for sleeping. BA F may be slightly better in terms of hard product compared to AA F though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.