Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA policy of flight change if positive Covid result

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2021, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Hi. Thinking ahead to traffic light system for travel. Anyone know what BA's policy is or will be in terms of date changes if you test positive down route and unable to travel? Is it just in line with the 'Book with Confidence' policy, or something else? After reading that you'll still need to test whilst ovesesss before returning to the UK, I'm not sure I'll want to travel. Still, just want to know the BA policy first of all.
Old May 3, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You’ll be able to cancel your return to FTV without issue up to check in. I don’t believe they had a published process or policy all last year with the travel corridors so not sure what would change this time ?

Last edited by mikeyfly; May 3, 2021 at 10:06 am
Old May 3, 2021, 10:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As things stand, you could use BWC to rebook the return to a date after you are clear of COVID-19 or go for the FTV (though this shouldn't be your first choice). You could face a fare difference as a result. There is a provision in the general guidance for people too ill to travel that allows a free rebook subject to presentation of medical documentation, but I've not seen any examples of this relating to COVID specifically. This policy is intended to prevent people bringing chicken pox (etc) on board, so it should be the same principle here. Some UK insurance firms appear to be offering COVID-19 cover for unexpected medical and travel expenses, e.g. Staysure.

If you are not great with risk or uncertainty then you probably do need to wait until the risk of a positive test result is sufficiently low that you don't need to worry. But most of Europe is giving >95% negative results on PCRs.
Old May 3, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
isnt there also some chance for delaying the travel due to illness? someone who got tested positive for Covid-19 obviously isnt fit to fly.

<edit>: no, there isnt.

Last edited by Nephoi; May 3, 2021 at 11:02 am
Old May 3, 2021, 10:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The only allowances are those cws notes.
jerry a. laska and Nephoi like this.
Old May 3, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But most of Europe is giving >95% negative results on PCRs.
Border force suggest some fraudulent certs being found.

Was offered a fake one in BOM India for £5 via a respectable hotel..but paid £20 to get a 24 hour result.

Still got pinged by track and trace 8 days after landing...as did a friend who flew from BOM 14 days previous. Fake certs are very much with us.
Old May 3, 2021, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
I found BA to be incredibly helpful and flexible. They offered to rebook on any available flight without paying any fare difference. And they allowed another rebooking on the same basis after a negative test followed by another positive.

The Delhi call centre was a huge help - a massive thanks to them and I hope everyone there is doing ok at the moment.
Old May 4, 2021, 1:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by Engineering Travel
Was offered a fake one in BOM India for £5 via a respectable hotel
That's horrific Big western chain?
Old May 4, 2021, 5:35 am

Obviously travel insurance policies differ, but my (cheap, bog-standard, UK-issued) annual one covers this scenario in the event airlines don’t play ball. Travel has to be permitted under govt regulations on both booking and travel dates, but if it is then they have specifically stated they would cover any changes required.

Last edited by Confus; May 4, 2021 at 10:51 am
Old May 4, 2021, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Engineering Travel
Border force suggest some fraudulent certs being found.

Was offered a fake one in BOM India for £5 via a respectable hotel..but paid £20 to get a 24 hour result.

Fake certs are very much with us.
I'd like to think this will all have a bearing over any future traffic light colour awarded on a country by country basis and any such discoveries arriving in the UK are slapped with a large deterrent fine.

Back to BA specifically.... BWC for the interim will give the most flexibility and moving forward I think comprehensive travel insurance policy that specifically covers such situations will be the way forward.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by drwook
That's horrific Big western chain?

IHG property, they asked for additional fees to get the one at short notice...all cash no receipts..
I wondered why they kept asking when my flight was, then said they would not be able to get the test results in time.
The official one (i assume) took 24 hours and additional payments..a very unprofessional nurse took the test, could have been anyone for all I know.
One just doesn't know these days...
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:15 pm
dnw

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone have recent experience of this scenario?

Currently have mother in law with us from South America due to return home later this week and pretty sure she’s coming down with covid…

It would be the return leg of a UUA business ticket and of course there’s no current Avios availability so hoping that if the pre departure test comes back positive a free rebook might be offered…?

If not what is the FTV in this scenario? Exactly half the original fare and Avios or is it (I’m sure it is) more complex than that?

thank you
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:55 am
dnw

Answering my own question for the archives. No free change in this scenario, voucher or paid change only.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by dnw
Answering my own question for the archives. No free change in this scenario, voucher or paid change only.

Ilness mid travel policy should apply if you can provide proof of a test as far as im aware.

Last edited by Anonba; Jan 8, 2022 at 3:11 am
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:46 am
dnw

Originally Posted by Anonba
Ilness mid travel policy applies if you can provide proof a test.
Not according to LHR ticket desk (who said covid is excluded from medical policy) or telesales (who said the change was to be paid for). But that isn’t really surprising for BA is it?

if you’re able to tell me the letter and number of the policy perhaps I can approach CR later on. The change cost me £200 and I lost the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.